• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Only one man in history can style on Kenny G tho. And it's not even close. Goodnight Kenny G, sax-baby.

BMaSKU8.gif

Eu2imK4.gif

He (Tim Cappelo) is actually touring and we are getting a (small) free show in Chicago in July. Most of us at work (who booked the show) are WAAAAAAYYYYY too excited about this and we realize this, but fuck it.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
TIL that Paul Hardcastle isnt just an 80s English House DJ. Pretty neat.

He (Tim Cappelo) is actually touring and we are getting a (small) free show in Chicago in July. Most of us at work (who booked the show) are WAAAAAAYYYYY too excited about this and we realize this, but fuck it.

I would be too, i re-discovered him thanks to that The Midnight song and always loved his track on Lost Boys. Hes a hell of a talent

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If he sweats on you during a hair toss, you will gain vampire Sax powers. You will become one of the Children of the Night. I envy your destiny in the Darkness. He still believes.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
My fiance's dad loves Kenny G. Seeing all his albums on their wall is pretty crazy. I never knew anyone that actually was a Kenny G fan until I met him.

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Few things in this world make me as happy as Kenny G's guest appearances on the Dan LeBatard show

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
I barely know any of Kenny G's music. I only know that Pat Metheny talked very negatively about him some years ago. I found that quite funny because I've never heard Metheny talking like that before.

Metheny's comments on Kenny are legendary (http://www.jazzguitar.com/features/kennyg.html). Some key excerpts:

My impression was that he was someone who had spent a fair amount of time listening to the more pop oriented sax players of that time, like grover washington or david sanborn, but was not really an advanced player, even in that style. He had major rhythmic problems and his harmonic and melodic vocabulary was extremely limited, mostly to pentatonic based and blues- lick derived patterns, and he basically exhibited only a rudimentary understanding of how to function as a professional soloist in an ensemble - Lorber was basically playing him off the bandstand in terms of actual music. but he did show a knack for connecting to the basest impulses of the large crowd by deploying his two or three most effective licks (holding long notes and playing fast runs - never mind that there were lots of harmonic clams in them) at the keys moments to elicit a powerful crowd reaction (over and over again). The other main thing I noticed was that he also, as he does to this day, play horribly out of tune - consistently sharp.

And honestly, there is no small amount of envy involved from musicians who see one of their fellow players doing so well financially, especially when so many of them who are far superior as improvisors and musicians in general have trouble just making a living. There must be hundreds, if not thousands of sax players around the world who are simply better improvising musicians than Kenny G on his chosen instruments. It would really surprise me if even he disagreed with that statement.

But when Kenny G decided that it was appropriate for him to defile the music of the man who is probably the greatest jazz musician that has ever lived by spewing his lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, fucked up playing all over one of the great Louis's tracks (even one of his lesser ones), he did something that I would not have imagined possible. He, in one move, through his unbelievably pretentious and calloused musical decision to embark on this most cynical of musical paths, shit all over the graves of all the musicians past and present who have risked their lives by going out there on the road for years and years developing their own music inspired by the standards of grace that Louis armstrong brought to every single note he played over an amazing lifetime as a musician. By disrespecting Louis, his legacy and by default, everyone who has ever tried to do something positive with improvised music and what it can be, Kenny G has created a new low point in modern culture - something that we all should be totally embarrassed about - and afraid of. We ignore this, "let it slide", at our own peril.

His callous disregard for the larger issues of what this crass gesture implies is exacerbated by the fact that the only reason he possibly have for doing something this inherently wrong (on both human and musical terms) was for the record sales and the money it would bring.

Since that record came out - in protest, as insigificant as it may be, I encourage everyone to boycott Kenny G recordings, concerts and anything he is associated with. If asked about Kenny G, I will diss him and his music with the same passion that is in evidence in this little essay.

I'd put him in the class of Steve Vai. Not my cup of team musically at all, but impossible to ignore his technical ability.

Nah, this is a poor comparison. Vai's technical ability is excellent, and he's an innovator who's crafted a wholly unique sound. In contrast, Kenny G's technical ability is mediocre and his sound is hackneyed and derivative.

Oct 27, 2017
Metheny's comments on Kenny are legendary (http://www.jazzguitar.com/features/kennyg.html). Some key excerpts:

Nah, this is a poor comparison. Vai's technical ability is excellent, and he's an innovator who's crafted a wholly unique sound. In contrast, Kenny G's technical ability is mediocre and his sound is hackneyed and derivative.
My music teacher called Vai's original music - musical masturbation. I tend to agree. It's pretty much all unlistenable crap.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man this thread sent me down a quick and internet rabbit hole of Kenny G haters as what appears to be a hobby/industry matched only by the anti-Bose crowd in terms of the effort and repeated almost verbatim phrasing of the complaints.

Caveat : I find his music unbearable.

The sheer effort and affront people demonstrate on this topic is amazing. A lot of it inarguably comes from Jazz enthusiasts who are incensed that he's more famous or successful than Bird or Armstrong or frankly anyone else who plays or played sax for a living.

But to paraa-quote one dissenting (still critical) voice "Kenny G is not taking ticket or album sales away from any real jazz. The kind of person who goes to Kenny G concerts would probably have a stroke at a Coltrane or Rollins set."

Personally I couldn't tell the difference in skill between any of the top ten GOAT in terms of technical chops and I'm certainly not suggesting Kenny G belongs in that conversation let alone list. But I simply would never even have thought to compare Kenny G with Charlie Parker or Stan Getz because the gulf in the music genre is uncrossable even for my uneducated ears.

May as well compare Nickelback with Elvis in that regard. And Nickelback is a good comparison because they're another example of the hate effort being hopelessly mismatched to the original "sin."

However I did discover this objective, scientific proof that Kenny G is objectively and inarguably better than Bird AND Bechet combined.

1997, a Guinness World Record was set for longest held musical note. Kenny G used circular breathing to sustain an E-flat on a saxophone for 45 minutes and 47 seconds.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
My music teacher called Vai's original music - musical masturbation. I tend to agree. It's pretty much all unlistenable crap.
I'm not the hugest fan of Vai but he's definitely not "unlistenable crap" by any means.
He's a talented guitarist, and is a lot more melodic than a many other musicians that could create what may be referred to crudely as "musical masturbation" (if that is indeed referring to shredding with little regard to melody).

Basslover

Jan 28, 2018
This is some elitist HOT TAKEZ BS, holy S, at least ask which songs are good from the man - and listen to them - before you start repeating someone else's opinion.

He has some great songs, like For the Love of god, Whispering a prayer, I know you know I'm here, etc.

Also some of his innovations in terms of the construction of electrical guitars became industry standards

Oct 27, 2017
This is some elitist HOT TAKEZ BS, holy S, at least ask which songs are good from the man - and listen to them - before you start repeating someone else's opinion.

He has some great songs, like For the Love of god, Whispering a prayer, I know you know I'm here, etc.

Also some of his innovations in terms of the construction of electrical guitars became industry standards
I listened to it extensively. It's drivel. I can appreciate that it's wholly subjective.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd put him in the class of Steve Vai. Not my cup of team musically at all, but impossible to ignore his technical ability. Ironically I think he helped make sax uncool. Once people saw him doing it, with the Yanni-factor kicking in hard, it colored how other sax moments felt and sounded. There was a point in the 80s where sax solos weren't just acceptable, they were essential. If you released a New Romantic or even New Wave ballad WITHOUT a sax (or similar) solo, then you were banned from the Musicians Guild for life. Hell, the Sisters of Mercy used sax solos.
Sax is still cool as hell.

Kenny G didn't ruin anything but Kenny G.

Last edited:

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
[circular breathing intensifies]

Fun fact: as someone playing a wind instrument in the late 90s, trombone to be particular, Kenny's circular breathing was practically an urban legend to us. It was something you spoke of in hushed tones, wishing you could do it but knowing you would never hit that limit. I say that as someone who actually could circular breathe and was quite a good trombonist but left it to rot in 8th grade when I fancied myself a burgeoning rock star who wanted to be the next Cobain with a guitar and cryptic lyrics. I quickly lost all of my musical talent. Alas...

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fun fact: as someone playing a wind instrument in the late 90s, trombone to be particular, Kenny's circular breathing was practically an urban legend to us. It was something you spoke of in hushed tones, wishing you could do it but knowing you would never hit that limit. I say that as someone who actually could circular breathe and was quite a good trombonist but left it to rot in 8th grade when I fancied myself a burgeoning rock star who wanted to be the next Cobain with a guitar and cryptic lyrics. I quickly lost all of my musical talent. Alas...
I, too, was a trombone player in the 90's who heard similar things