• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
at my grandmas funeral the preacher talked about how much and how often she tithed to the church

he then joked that if it was him he probably would've bought a car

my grandma probably would've liked the joke, but i was peeved

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Unbelievably evil. It is impressive how completely certain they are that there is no God. I mean, I'm an atheist myself but wow. The closest these people get to holy is the 18 hole golf courses on their palatial estates.

I know it's a difficult relationship between Government and religion, and things need to be applied very carefully, but this needs to be made illegal somehow. There is no more blatant fraud than this and it cannot stand in a civilised society.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
The closest these people get to holy is the 18 hole golf courses on their palatial estates.
giphy.gif

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
That's so fucking gross and deplorable. I'm so disgusted by people like this. Exploiting other's faith and desperation for salvation and improvement in their lives to make millions. It's disgusting.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
...you can't tithe if you bring in nothing shitsack. If there's a hell, hes going straight into its gaping maw in his private jet. Where the fuck is his 10% going?

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It's well established that Jesus was big into tithing. "Ow these nails really hurt. I can't reach my wallet, on account of these nails, but can you pull it out? I'm worried that if I don't give a little bit more people will think I'm not a good Christian!"

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I believe it is what they call a payment to the church that means god will love them more or some bullshit.

It's supposed to work as what you give in you will get back in God's blessings.

You got cancer give money, you got debt you a credit card to donate as you'll get it back.

Some of the stories you read about how people have lost everything after being swindelled are horrific.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I am gonna be honest here chief, if people are stupid enough to make these people millionaire and still listen to these fuckers in these timws, they deserve to be swindled by them.
But civilized society has a demand to stop bullshit like this. The richer these televangelists get, the more they can influence others to follow in their footsteps, or follow at their feet. We shouldn't allow this shit.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i scrolled past the thread title today like 50 times thinking this was some weird investing advice by a hedge fund manager or something

then it hit me oh fuck, *that* kenneth copeland. he's still alive? and this is still what he's doing??

crisis is like greatest hits compilation bringing out the "best" in all of us

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
The Pope needs to come out against these guys.
He needs to do it loud, and often, and from the balconies of the Vatican to every state trip he makes.
He needs to decry them as sinners, and excommunicate them from the Christian faith... and their followers need to know that they'll go to Hell for following them.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
He needs to do it loud, and often, and from the balconies of the Vatican to every state trip he makes.
He needs to decry them as sinners, and excommunicate them from the Christian faith... and their followers need to know that they'll go to Hell for following them.
Copeland and most megachurchs branches of faith don't fuck with the Pope at all.

OP
OP
exodus

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately the Protestant faith isn't under the umbrella of the Catholic Church.

I have a lot of respect for what the Catholic Church preaches (not in all cases, but the general message is one of empathy and compassion). But these guys are pure evil.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately the Protestant faith isn't under the umbrella of the Catholic Church.

I have a lot of respect for what the Catholic Church preaches (not in all cases, but the general message is one of empathy and compassion). But these guys are pure evil.

I mean....one of the major reasons the Protestant Reformation happened is because the Catholic Church was doing what Copeland and his ilk are doing but on a much larger scale. To fund crusades, too!

Anyway, Copeland is a horrible, horrible, horrible person who preys on the weak and vulnerable. It's disgusting.

A little background on tithing since people are confused - tithing was an practice outlined in the Old Testament that essentially worked like a tax. It was used to support the Levites (essentially the civil and religious administration class of Israel who were not allowed to own property) and the poor. There were multiple tithes in different years for different things. It certainly bears no resemblance to what Copeland is asking for.

There is regular debate within Christian circles today as to whether the tithing principle (i.e. 10% of income) still applies to giving to church. I would argue it does not since we are no longer in a theocratic state. However, the principle of being generous with our money is obviously encouraged, and that can be done by giving to the poor, missions and supporting the administration of a local church. Again, such giving as outlined in the New Testament and practiced by the early church as outlined in the book of Acts looks nothing like what Copeland does.

The prosperity gospel is a cancer and is sadly America's biggest contribution to global Christianity in the last 40 years. It does even more damage in third world countries. Makes me angry even thinking about it.