• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe he's working on the preaty derby game (which had a pretty average, yet enjoyable anime last year)?
From what i can understand from google translate, he's working on a new project (perhaps an action game). It's been in development for a year and a half apparently? And it's apparently "orthodox"

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
Explain, I don't really have a problem with the games if they get passed the ESRB rules, which they do, and it isn't like these games are being played by kids as they are all rated Mature. At that point we are judging adults on what they can and cannot waste their money on, which is a stupid conversation when it comes to videogames.
Please, don't try to convince me this series isn't sitting in an uncomfortable zone, lmao. Be honest. I enjoyed playing the original well enough, but don't fool yourself. This is one of those games you don't normally bragged about playing at the cooler

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, so he's still acting as a freelance producer for Marvelous titles, but he's also working for Cygames?

Is he also working for Cygames in a freelance capacity?

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Please, don't try to convince me this series isn't sitting in an uncomfortable zone, lmao. Be honest. I enjoyed playing the original well enough, but don't fool yourself. This is one of those games you don't normally bragged about playing at the cooler
True, this isn't the type of game I would talk at a barbecue, but same goes for a whole bunch of games. I still get a good talking to if my mom catches me playing Call of Duty, and I'm 23. At that point, it is best to drop videogames in the conversation and just talk about Dragon Ball powerlevels with my cousins.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
So this entire announcement is pretty weird. First he says he left Marvelous as an employee to seek new challenges - and that new challenge is going to Cygames. Cool, that makes sense, but then the interview further reveals that not only is he still producer of the Senran games, but he has started a new crossmedia project which is game + anime series. It's going to be a traditional hot blooded (action?) title featuring a girl riding a bike-like vehicle. There will be anime and game, and it will be published by....... Marvelous. Not Cygames. Lol.

Cygames x Marvelous?

Feb 15, 2019
So this entire announcement is pretty weird. First he says he left Marvelous as an employee to seek new challenges - and that new challenge is going to Cygames. Cool, that makes sense, but then the interview further reveals that not only is he still producer of the Senran games, but he has started a new crossmedia project which is game + anime series. It's going to be a traditional hot blooded (action?) title featuring a girl riding a bike-like vehicle. There will be anime and game, and it will be published by....... Marvelous. Not Cygames. Lol.

Cygames x Marvelous?

This is all just part of his masterplan to expand life and hometown to even further reaches. You see, Marvelous by itself just isn't big enough, so part 1 of his plan was to infiltrate Cygames. By part 4, people around the world will be acknowledging life AND hometown as Takaki just laughs to himself every morning when he wakes up.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Cygames x Marvelous?
Kino no Tabi game confirmed

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

Cygames x Marvelous?

I feel like it's more likely than not part of the sweetheart parachute for him to join Cygames was that he gets to keep working as Producer with the initiatives he started at Marvelous.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I feel like it's more likely than not part of the sweetheart parachute for him to join Cygames was that he gets to keep working as Producer with the initiatives he started at Marvelous.
Yeah but if he was leaving anyway, it makes more sense to bring a new initiative to Cygames right? Then again, apparently this new project has been in the works for a year and a half now, so you might be right about that.

konoka

Dec 20, 2017

Cygames x Marvelous?
Simply he doesn't abandon ongoing projects.
He works on a console game in cygames but whether the game is already announced one or still unannouned is unknown.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, the quality of Marvelous' output may increase going forward?

If you think that Senran Kagura will stop to be released by Marvelous you're crazy. haha Senran Kagura is pretty much a multimedia project for them, even more because they distribute the anime themselves as they're also an anime BD/DVD distributor aside from being a video game publisher.

Wait, so he's still acting as a freelance producer for Marvelous titles, but he's also working for Cygames?

Is he also working for Cygames in a freelance capacity?

It's very confusing. It would make more sense if he was a freelancer, then working with SK and with a Cygames project would be more viable. But I guess we'll have to wait for the entire interview.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Weird announcement.

The shit with Sony must be annoying and a disaster for Marvelous atm with SK 7EVEN.

Curious what he will do at Cygames

Oct 26, 2017
http://ryokutya2089.com/archives/18755#more-18755

Interview says the major reason of his leave is censorship on sexual content. No time to translate now. I am sure Gematsu or other site will translate soon.

Again, just put the series on Nintendo systems, even exclusively if needed. Such an odd decision that could've been avoided. You'd think he'd realize that Nintendo is VERY hands off on 3rd-party games, only stepping in if it had to do with the rating boards.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Again, just put the series on Nintendo systems, even exclusively if needed. Such an odd decision that could've been avoided. You'd think he'd realize that Nintendo is VERY hands off on 3rd-party games, only stepping in if it had to do with the rating boards.
I'm curious to read the translation because how does moving to cygames solve the censorship issue? If he releases a game on PS4, nothing will have changed.

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
http://ryokutya2089.com/archives/18755#more-18755

Interview says the major reason of his leave is censorship on sexual content. No time to translate now. I am sure Gematsu or other site will translate soon.
Oh. I assumed that wasn't the case when we learned he would still be working on SK, but... guess not.

Perhaps he had some creative differences with the higher-ups at Marvelous regarding censorship issues?

I wonder if Sony will take note of this.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Cygames, is mostly a mobile game developer, so whatever game he's gonna deliver would be on iphones first. Free from sony's censorship.
I would assume he's joining as part of their entrance into console gaming, though. What will his position at the company be? I guess I could see him working on mobile games.

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
This is the most sensible explanation I've heard.

Of course, if this is true it means he won't be working on SK indefinitely.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
eeeeehhhhh, fiction doesn't always live on an island. Sometimes it contributes to something bigger and lets it grow and fester.

Agreed, but I think there's a world of difference between cheescake titillation like SK Estival Versus (the only one I've played), and pervasive misogynistic tropes in various pieces of media that are presented as more accurate reflections of real life gender relationships and expressions.

Celebrating a move away from exploitation in mainstream games shows a positive shift in culture, but celebrating the death of an unpretentious, goofy-anime-tiddy series feels puritanical rather than progressive.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
From what i can understand from google translate, he's working on a new project (perhaps an action game). It's been in development for a year and a half apparently? And it's apparently "orthodox"
Interested if that means he's going to make something traditional or something traditional but with anime levels of lewdness (in other words big breasts but nothing weird like tentacles... if that makes sense). Anyway, only way I'll be interested is if the gameplay actually felt good. That was the main reason I never got into his games, and other similar games, the more "traditional gameplay" elements didn't feel refined and the more out there stuff was fun for all of 5 minutes of awkward laughing and wondering what I'm doing with my life before I got bored.

SaberX85

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like this guy, he always choose ayane from KT as guest character on his games.

God speed mr producer

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Update from Gematsu, there's a lot more in the link:
https://gematsu.com/2019/03/kenichi...-remains-producer-of-the-senran-kagura-series

First tidbits have come in from Weekly Famitsu. According to the magazine, Takaki's biggest reasons for leaving Marvelous were restrictions on the depiction of sexual content. He felt that a thread had snapped within him. He said that while sexual content is often criticized, there are many that enjoy it. Takaki believed that such variation was one of the things that supported the games industry, but when it was so easily broken, it made him think about various things. Takaki welcomes restrictions and regulations that protect specific scopes and genres. However, he feels the recent trend will definitely have a chilling effect.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I was scared, but then it said he was still going to produce Senran Kagura so all is good with the world!

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I was scared, but then it said he was still going to produce Senran Kagura so all is good with the world!
I dunno, it kinda sounds like he's just staying on to finish up 7EVEN?
Takaki will properly finish up work on his currently in-production titles. Senran Kagura 7EVEN, however, will take some time. While the base of the game will not change, Takaki is working on parts that must be changed. After that, either he or someone else will complete and deliver it to the fans. They are taking their erotic gags more seriously than ever before. Takaki will cooperate with existing staff on Senran Kagura, while leaving the adjustments to Marvelous internally and continuing his existence as the "huge boobs producer."

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
A fictional character has no agency. She is a male fantasy dominatrix no more no less. Or do you believe tons of men don't fetishize sexually aggressive women.

If the benchmark for feminism is creating a character men won't manage to fetishize/sexualize then we're pretty much screwed. We get turned on by everything.

* I personally find Bayonetta repulsive, but it's her proportions more than anything else.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess he had enough of the Sony censorship applied to the kind of games he was working on at Marvelous and floated away to safer boats. Probably the death of Senran Kagura in a few years.

A shame though, SK games are fun. Stupid fun but still.

Last edited:

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In October 2018, XSEED was forced by Sony America to delay the American version of Senran Kagura Burst Renewal (previously planned for a Fall 2018 release) to January, so that they could remove the lewd minigame from the American PS4 version. XSEED said they were blindsided by this, because it was an entirely new policy.

Also in October 2018, we learned that Sony Japan is now requiring Japanese devs to make their case to Sony America, in English, as to why their games should be allowed to exist in Japan.

Senran Kagura 7EVEN was supposed to come out in Japan in Fall 2018. Sony America killed it at the last second, and Marvelous delayed the game indefinitely as they struggle to try and get it into a form that Sony America finds acceptable. Takaki has apparently been significantly drained by the struggle.

Senran Kagura 7EVEN was a PS4 game. Until it got blindsided (in Japan) by Sony America. Porting it to Switch isn't an effortless task, although I'm guessing that Takaki wishes his game had been PS4/Switch multiplatform right now. The games that are appearing uncensored on Switch aren't ones that jumped there to avoid Sony America's censorship, they're the ones that already had a Switch version in the works.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I have mad respect for such a man who standed true to his ideals and left his position to have the freedom to sexualize underage girls.

In case it wasn't clear, that's sarcasm