• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
KalBalboa

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
You thinking he isn't funny is subjective to the fact he holds a special place in a lot of people's hearts. All That was the first exposure to sketch comedy for many children. He's been SNL's most recognizable face in this decade of the Internet and a good amount of the past.

I keep seeing people push Kenan's legacy, like you're doing here, but nobody's really backing it up with receipts beyond "He's been around for a while!" It seems like his acclaim is purely "Hey, I remember him!"

For the record, I think McKinnon is 10x the actor & comedian Thompson ever was. She's defined the recent era of SNL better than anyone, which is probably why she's gotten work outside of the show.

Like, what's his hook? His skill? Give me some jokes or moments from his career that make you laugh. That's all I'm asking.

Last edited:

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
If we're talking about SNL Legends, Rock and Chappelle don't belong there but Morgan and Kenan do. Dave wasn't on it, and Rock was awful when he was on it.

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
I remember reading an article about him. He's basically the anchor of the show and a lot of the cast members/hosts are indebted to him because he makes them all better. He really should get more credit.

Nov 23, 2017
Th
Eddie-Murphy-revives-iconic-characters-35-years-after-SNL-exit.jpg

Fox-Sports-Indiana-Graphic-832x447.jpg
I said god damn lol

OP
OP
KalBalboa

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I remember reading an article about him. He's basically the anchor of the show and a lot of the cast members/hosts are indebted to him because he makes them all better. He really should get more credit.

I remember reading that and thinking it was kinda saccharine drivel. Folks just being nice.

I think Norm MacDonald is the only person I know who's come out and outright shit on other cast members (Chris Kattan) for not pulling their weight. Norm will dump on his own acting ability, too, which I appreciate.

Who's honestly going to be interviewed and dump on their current co-star? C'mon.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
He wasnt cropped from anything, by the way. The screenshots were taken from before Kenan joined them. He was only there for the last 5 seconds.

People are acting like he's being photoshopped out or something.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
It's not so much "SNL legends", it's more like comedy legends.

And with regards to Tracy Morgan on SNL, he is Brian Fellows!

Basically Kenan has become Tim Meadows, but Tim Meadows is John-John Mackey, G-Dog and the Ladies Man.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Eh...he's credited every week. And he's just not at their level. This is like cropping Peter Tork from a picture with John Lennon, Jimmy Hendricks, Jim Morrison, and Elton John.

OP
OP
KalBalboa

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Speaking of things coming up over and over again, how many times have you replied in this topic that you don't think he's funny as though repeating it enough makes it hold more weight?

Because I'm waiting for an argument beyond "he's been on TV a long time," and it's all in good fun (nothing personal, of course). I genuinely want to see if people's love of Kenan goes beyond nostalgia. I kind of like SNL, in general, and appreciate the work the live players/writers have to put in. I find it genuinely commendable.

I've just seen the All That + long cast member defense levied for a long time, but I can't think of any example of him delivering real comedy/acting chops. He really does remind me of Fallon.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kenan put in way more work than Rock, Murphy, and Chappelle has in the last 15 years combined

Crying shame

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because I'm waiting for an argument beyond "he's been on TV a long time," and it's all in good fun (nothing personal, of course).

I've just seen the All That + long cast member defense levied for a long time, but I can't think of any example of him delivering real comedy/acting chops. He really does remind me of Fallon.
He makes me laugh.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
Still, Tracy's "On the Road" joke was probably the best joke on that entire show.

Kenan's dedication to SNL is pretty crazy. Been the senior cast member since 2014. He's nearly doubling up on Tim Meadows. The oldest current member at age 41. He could go on another decade.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
Keenan is the Big Bang Theory of SNL cast members...

"That show is still on wtf? who the fuck thinks that show is funny"

OP
OP
KalBalboa

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Still, Tracy's "On the Road" joke was probably the best joke on that entire show.

Kenan's dedication to SNL is pretty crazy. Been the senior cast member since 2014. He's nearly doubling up on Tim Meadows. The oldest current member at age 41. He could go on another decade.

I laughed hard at that and the cooking sketch. Eddie Murphy's voice alone is pretty hilarious.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Keenan and kel, and All That solidified keenan as a legend a long time ago. That was 20% of my childhood.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Dave Chappelle is a victim blaming transphobe who was never an SNL cast member.

Like... at least Eddie Murphy apologized for his past homophobia.

Apr 21, 2018
As someone who grew up watching All That on Nickelodeon and watching The Good Burger Movie, I am outraged.

I'd put him before Tracy, but that's probably because I'm not a 30Rock fan.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
But, I mean, All That isn't funny.

And being on SNL for a long time is great and all, but give me some of his big wins. I've never gotten Kenan's acclaim. I think he's downright unfunny, and he seems to have a hard time delivering lines or, I dunno, acting.

Kenan's best accomplishment is having a blank, range-less face and having the switchboard operators know when to hard cut to his blank expression.
I'm sure you're going to take a lot of guff for this post but I agree with every word.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
People seriously questioning if Kenan Thompson isn't a certified SNL legend at this point?
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

source.gif

Dude has one of the strongest backs in history for helping carry the show this long.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Kenan put in way more work than Rock, Murphy, and Chappelle has in the last 15 years combined

Crying shame
So it's just relevancy.
With the biggest black comedians pretty much sitting out and just chilling and enjoying their life and their money, did Thompson even attempt to do anything but SNL?

Looking over his work the past 15 years, what do we got?
Fat Albert, Some Disney and Nickelodeon shows he co-starred in for a few episodes, some game shows and a lot of voice work For stuff like the Smurfs and other animated work.

Maybe he is just happy being SNL guy.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
You guys are insane but if you think Keenan isn't a legend.

Been in comedy movies since he was a kid (Heavyweights, etc.)

Been on successful tv shows since he was a kid (all that, k&k, SNL)

Longest running SNL cast member on a show where black cast members lasting long is rare.

When you are successful in a field since childhood you are as legend.

You may hate Donnie and Marie Osmond. You may not know their songs. But they are still legends because they were successful for like four decades. And they do have memorable songs unless you missed Mulan.

Same applies here.

Last edited:

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Kenan has been on SNL for 17 seasons and doesn't have a single memorable character that people want to see.

At least Tracy Morgan has Brian Fellows.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol I mean an entire generation grew up on Pee Wee Herman too.

All That was fun as a kid. Key words, as a kid. I doubt that shit even holds up and I remember him babbling in French in a bathtub. He made good burger and other movies for kids.

He is the longest running cast member of a beloved mostly unfunny TV show. He's nowhere near as funny as Chappelle or Rock.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Kenan has more reason to be in that picture than Chappelle does. Morgan, Murphy, Rock, and Thompson are all SNL alumni.