• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
This game is really great honestly, and fills that almost empty place from those A-AA games from the ps2 and maybe early ps3 games that are quite rare nowadays.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Oh! Sorry!

Yes, if you hold the pulse button you get your shield and if you activate it just before a hit you parry :)

Thanks. I know there's a tutorial when you first learn how to do it, but I wonder if you can still view them some how.

Took a number of screenshots. Just an all-round beautiful game :).

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
I am enjoying this a lot although TBH the default controller mappings are causing me trouble. Would much rather have light/strong attack to X/Y on the controller vs RB/RT.

I tried doing this in the game settings but it wouldn't let me save the changes, complained of some other controls being unmapped, possibly a bug?

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
593673291462606848.png

The music is so good.
Yeah, the music is fantastic.

Exploring the world is just incredible, great art design, great music, lots of optional stuff and rewards to discover. This game has the perfect balance between a linear experience and a good amount of freedom and exploration for the player

I want more games like this, I'm sick of bloated endlessly open world games
Agreed they did a great job with this.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
I'll just mention this again, but from my experience launching the game via the activity card will cause the game to have constant stutter in both graphics modes and it even loaded the game from the beginning and not from my current save file.

So just launch the game as you would normally do it.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
I'll just mention this again, but from my experience launching the game via the activity card will cause the game to have constant stutter in both graphics modes and it even loaded the game from the beginning and not from my current save file.

Yes, I noticed that too, seems like a bug.

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
By the way, is it just me that there aren't any trophies shown when pressing the PS button? I'm earning trophies so it's not that big of a problem, but it's odd.

Also I went into the options from the game menu and saw that it was set to easy, while I chose hard at game start. Selecting hard again doesn't do anything it seems. Seems like a bug.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
Oh yeah we found a bug! We could not open any containers. No idea what caused it but a fast travel solved it if anyone else run into that issue.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I think the update wiped my save? No option to load a save, can't get it from the cloud either

nm it's there now. Phew

Mireille

Oct 26, 2017

Launching from activity card wipes auto-save slot and starts from the beginning yes. Happened to me this morning and tought I had to start over as I didnt manual save.. luckily cloud auto-backup from PS+ had the save still from before the wipe.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Launching from activity card wipes auto-save slot and starts from the beginning yes. Happened to me this morning and tought I had to start over as I didnt manual save.. luckily cloud auto-backup from PS+ had the save still from before the wipe.
Woah, wipes your save! Good thing I manual saved a few times!

Kami

Jul 13, 2020
For those of you on PC you can lower the sharpening and Chromatic Aberration by following the tips in here. I know a couple of you mentioned this yesterday.

I've kinda noticed that there is something going on. Maybe a sharpening filter to help with TAA blurryness?

It looks like CA to me too. :/

Also what kind of AA is this using on PC? There is no way to change AA at all in the settings.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019
Has anyone else noticed that all footsteps sound like you're running on grass? Even when you're running on a wooden bridge, etc. Very distracting considering the otherwise fantastic audio.

At least at the point I'm at I've yet to hear any variation. Wondering if it's a bug or an oversight.

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Playing on PS5. I like it quite a bit. The art and music are really good.
One thing that bothers me is the clipping. Grass and plants not being affected by you walking through them. Being able to strike through objects, and some objects without any clipping at all!
E_4nm83VQAI2dl2

I found this stump and you can walk right through it. There is a wheel leaning against it that has full clipping, but not this stump.

Apart from that, I'm really enjoying it.
Fantastic effort for a first game from a studio.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
i think i will switch to easy. those long boss fights with no healing options...i like a challenge but this will probably no get better later on.
edit: like i feared, easy mode offers no challenge at all. boss went down in less than a minute. they need to tone down the nomal setting.

Last edited:

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I am enjoying this a lot although TBH the default controller mappings are causing me trouble. Would much rather have light/strong attack to X/Y on the controller vs RB/RT.

I tried doing this in the game settings but it wouldn't let me save the changes, complained of some other controls being unmapped, possibly a bug?
Custom controller settings worked fine for me on PS5. I can see why they used shoulder buttons though, as you need the right stick and attack buttons for some rot ability. I still changed it to square/triangle, among other changes.

NuKER

Dec 15, 2017
Portugal
I'm only 3 hours in and loving it. It reminds me of those old school games, simple fun and with some challenge, and it's so beautiful.

Jan 10, 2018
Trying to prepare mentally for the highest difficulty when I start my second run. Some of these bosses are kicking my ass HARD on "normal". I pray to god that there is no more adds at least; some of these fights are so busy from beginning to end.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Trying to prepare mentally for the highest difficulty when I start my second run. Some of these bosses are kicking my ass HARD on "normal". I pray to god that there is no more adds at least; some of these fights are so busy from beginning to end.

I was thinking about this today and I'm also preparing for my second run. It shouldn't be too difficult as long as every upgrade is also carried into my NG+ run.
Rot abilities can cause serious damage to bosses if used and timed properly.

Jan 10, 2018
I was thinking about this today and I'm also preparing for my second run. It shouldn't be too difficult as long as every upgrade is also carried into my NG+ run.
Rot abilities can cause serious damage to bosses if used and timed properly.

Tips for any good combos? I haven't upgraded all that much yet. I mainly use the ability where your arrow jumps to other targets from the main target, and also the sprint heavy attack.

Oct 25, 2017
question, i think this is towards the end. concerning exploration.

all the purple walls are marked on the map but i can't get through them (other than the one leading toward the mountain). am i missing something?

never mind, worked it out. for those playing along at home you just need to progress the story a tiny bit more.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Wow this game is really kicking my ass right now. I guess I'm fighting the first major boss
corrupted Taro[/spoiler/ and some of his attacks seem unavoidable. He also kills me in one combo. I have to be missing something.

Is there a way to upgrade Kena's health or something that I totally overlooked? That fight was pretty brutal.

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
I just can't get to the dodge button fast/consistently enough with the attack buttons on RB/RT. In the heat of a boss battle I keep fucking it up.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Tips for any good combos? I haven't upgraded all that much yet. I mainly use the ability where your arrow jumps to other targets from the main target, and also the sprint heavy attack.

I mostly use a combination of Parry Courage + Rot Hammer/Rot Infused arrow against bosses. It basically goes like this:
  • Parry the boss and gain one Rot Action point because of Parry Courage
  • Use Rot Infused Arrow on one of its weak points and watch them scream in pain
  • If there's isn't much of a gap between me and the boss after the previous step, I run to it and hit it with Rot Hammer

markhimself

Nov 6, 2017
Boston, MA
Played for about an hour or two last night. Coming off of the fast-paced combat and precision platforming of Returnal, this game took some getting used to. I didn't love how the double jump felt at first and the combat felt a little bit lackluster. Once I got the bow unlocked, I started really enjoying it. I've definitely adjusted to how the game feels. Really excited to dive back into it after work today.

Oh, the animation of clearing away the corruption and having grass and flowers sprout up is sooooo good! I could watch that all day haha

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
This game is simply wonderful. Made it just past the Shrine Guardian boss and having a great time. The mix between combat, platforming, and exploration/puzzle solving is really well done at this point. Basically just as I'm feeling like there has been a little too much combat, the game opens up and lets you wander around a bit, then once you've poked around all the obvious places, it's a fun little section of platforming to get to the next area. Really great stuff.
Exploring the world is just incredible, great art design, great music, lots of optional stuff and rewards to discover. This game has the perfect balance between a linear experience and a good amount of freedom and exploration for the player
Yeah, sums up my experience so far. The balance is perfect.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I just can't get to the dodge button fast/consistently enough with the attack buttons on RB/RT. In the heat of a boss battle I keep fucking it up.
Funny enough, the entire point of putting the attack buttons on the shoulder buttons is that, unlike if they were on the face buttons, you don't need to take your fingers off of them to manipulate the camera or use the dodge button.

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
i think i will switch to easy. those long boss fights with no healing options...i like a challenge but this will probably no get better later on.
edit: like i feared, easy mode offers no challenge at all. boss went down in less than a minute. they need to tone down the nomal setting.

Right. Or maybe add another difficulty option, because on normal the bosses are brutal.

Oct 27, 2017
I love this game so far, honestly the only thing I actually disliked was the difficulty spike of the 1st boss, like it was pretty jarring for me how much harder it was, after failing a handful of times i realized it was killing my enjoyment of the game so I ended up switching to easy and beat it.

Chance

Nov 22, 2017
Oh, the animation of clearing away the corruption and having grass and flowers sprout up is sooooo good! I could watch that all day haha

Maybe it's just a result of growing up during the big Environmentalism Is On You The Consumer, Certainly Not Anyone Making Bank In Oil era, or maybe it's just the seven playthroughs of Okami talking, but this.

I was sold on Kena the first time I saw her explode a corruption bud to have life flow back into a room. There are tons of "value added" things that Kena does not have, the combat is okay, quests are simple affairs, and I do not care.

I have a piece of spirit mail to deliver to that house overlooking the river, and you bet yer buns I'm going to leave this spooky manor looking like the garden of eden.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I'm understanding why people had such issue with the first boss. On normal, beat him first try.

Easily telegraphed attacks and what seems to be a pretty generous I-frame roll.