• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm still feeling iffy about that situation with the devs. Did anything else ever develop about that?

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
The trainer was amazing and game looks absolutely beautiful, like a playable Pixar movie. It's the game I'm excited for the most this year and it's likely my GotY, can't wait!

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Happy for Ember labs, their deal with epic store and Sony exclusivity must have covered their dev cost too. Hopefully their first game is a success.

lazerface

Banned
Feb 23, 2020
Game looks like a damn Pixar movie, my most anticipated game this year along with Ratchet and Clank

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I rewatched the trailer last night and this game looks fantastic. The animations and overall color palette really gel well and looks like a lot of fun.

I just hope it isnt too short (based on the price tag) but hopefully it sells well enough to keep this going a series.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
Think this could be my game of the year. It looks wonderful. It's only $39 which scares me tho.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I hope the devs make that date.

the footage is gorgeous no doubt but man, really wish they coulda optimized for 60fps on PS5.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Idk man. This game looks good and I like the music, but I don't get the hype around it at all! It's one of those things (like that new Chinese game) that is being loved by so many people and put me in the a-hole position for not getting the hype. Lol

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Idk man. This game looks good and I like the music, but I don't get the hype around it at all! It's one of those things (like that new Chinese game) that is being loved by so many people and put me in the a-hole position for not getting the hype. Lol

I think the boss fight gameplay looks really solid. Many times games like these fail hard at boss fights these look like challenging puzzles with a good mix of melee and ranged combat thrown in.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
I'm honestly fine with the, "can be completed over a weekend", length. Not everything has to be a 25-40 hour long experience, you know? If the game is short, yet packed full of incredibly fun and memorable experiences, with a good story on top, then I'm in. The problem would be if half of it was just pretty CG cutscenes, which doesn't seem to be the case.

Excited to pick this up on PC.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
I would be very happy with this game if it's a solid 6h - 9h of fun, that's all I'm hoping for :)

sinny

Oct 28, 2017
Will wait for it to be released on a store with regional pricing. It will be hard because it looks really good

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like disappointment over the game being short isn't taking into consideration everything else that comes (or should come) with a longer game. If the vast majority of long AAA games can't justify their length with actually meaningful content, what hope does an indie title with production values this impressive have?

This is an action adventure game with apparently quite a bit of combat. Making it longer without making it worse in the process involves things like increasing enemy variety, possibly expanding the main character's moveset, a bunch of effort into balancing and progression, and things like that. Most games don't do it, and it's not that uncommon to see games with like two enemies being 20+ hours long, but most games aren't exactly a good model, most games are way too long for their own good.

For the kind of game it seems to be, and with the production values it's aiming for, I'm not only "ok" with the shorter length, I think it's 100% to its benefit.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I think the boss fight gameplay looks really solid. Many times games like these fail hard at boss fights these look like challenging puzzles with a good mix of melee and ranged combat thrown in.
This game gives me The Order 1886 vibes... I can't put my finger on what's exactly wrong with it, but that's my feeling.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
I feel like disappointment over the game being short isn't taking into consideration everything else that comes (or should come) with a longer game. If the vast majority of long AAA games can't justify their length with actually meaningful content, what hope does an indie title with production values this impressive have?

This is an action adventure game with apparently quite a bit of combat. Making it longer without making it worse in the process involves things like increasing enemy variety, possibly expanding the main character's moveset, a bunch of effort into balancing and progression, and things like that. Most games don't do it, and it's not that uncommon to see games with like two enemies being 20+ hours long, but most games aren't exactly a good model, most games are way too long for their own good.

For the kind of game it seems to be, and with the production values it's aiming for, I'm not only "ok" with the shorter length, I think it's 100% to its benefit.

I agree with your last sentence, I also believe it'll be to the game's benefit. That being said, there are so, so many amazing games out there that'll give you dozens if not hundreds hours of gameplay for less than half the price so you can't really fault people for passing on Kena because it's short... the competition for our time and money is more fierce than ever.

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with your last sentence, I also believe it'll be to the game's benefit. That being said, there are so, so many amazing games out there that'll give you dozens if not hundreds hours of gameplay for less than half the price so you can't really fault people for passing on Kena because it's short... the competition for our time and money is more fierce than ever.
Oh yeah, for sure. But I think it's pretty safe to say that, whatever each person is comfortable with paying for the game, it'll eventually get there with time and enough sales. Even if that price point is free (or free* in PS Plus' case). With the exception of Nintendo titles, games stay such a small amount of time at their release price that I think we should always hope for the best relative quality, and never quantity. If they can deliver both, great, but if they can't, let them focus on quality and then each person can decide how much they're willing to pay.

Otherwise we're left with stuff like Mafia III, with around 6 hours of really high quality single player content, but stretched to 20 hours with mandatory grinding to unlock the next good mission. You can actually mod that out on PC, so at least there's that, but this game that eventually got absurdly cheap and even became part of bundles is stuck with shitty content to pad out its length forever on consoles, even though it no longer needs to justify full price with that.

It could've been a "sales favorite", with everyone saying how much it's worth it for whatever you think a 6 hour game is worth paying, but instead it ended up being mostly a "not worth your time, regardless of price" thing.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
This game will end up being either critically-acclaimed with 9s across the board, or the next The Order: 1886.

but i also predict i'm wrong and it's a safe 80 on Metacritic

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Presentation so far is top notch and the combat seems solid as well despite a few animations looking a bit stiff. We also saw a good variety of mechanics in this trailer.

I'm more curious about exploration, they say the game is wide linear but if the only things you can find are Rot hats that'll be a big bummer.

I played Fallen Order recently and it had the worst rewards for exploration I can remember, it was just cosmetic bullshit with the exception of stim canisters and a cool ability.

Mokubba

Oct 27, 2017
Looks solid but I wonder why it's delayed so much.
Not complaining though as much more polish or content is welcomed by me

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Game looking really good and I am excited for it, but the sneaky delay didn't go unnoticed

Oct 26, 2017
Hoping to have a PS5 by the time it releases, it feels wrong to go old gen on this. And I would prefer a shorter game so that I can actually finish it.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I made this post in the PS thread but I'll post it here too:

Interview with Kena devs, covering the story, world, characters, gameplay mechanics, etc.

(02:27:30s if timestamp doesn't work)

Apparently all of these moves in the gifs below are from the same ability, called pulse.

Area attack:
lFqRXVC.gif

Pressing it at the right time it becomes a parry:
VE8JyL9.gif

Holding down the button becomes a shield:
ejrSYft.gif

They also talk about a "courage" mechanic involving the Rot (there's a button dedicated to it), which you can gain by performing well in combat and then use it for healing or Rot abilities, like charging your bow to fire a piercing arrow or the staff which can become like a hammer to perform a finisher move. We saw some of these abilities already in the last trailer.

There's about 45 minutes of animated content in the game. No motion capture.

Core team is 15 people, though there's also outsourcing involved from all over the world, since they already had a lot of contacts from their animation days.