• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Chuck

Chuck

Oct 25, 2017
Starting now for other regions. (I won't keep saying this for Midwest and west cost people, check those local listings)

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Legit I'd love it if they gave Vsauce (Michael Stevens) a shot. Guy clearly loves learning, has a massive fanbase, and is overall an agreeable person. He recently had a daughter though so I'm not sure how busy he is.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
White people keep failing upward. Defend turbo racist remarks, get to host the biggest game show! Very cool.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
This is at the bottom of most conspiracy theories and is a solid reason to cancel somebody from hosting a game show

what is anti-semitism?

OP
OP
Chuck

Chuck

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing Concerns Over a Series of Posts, Ignoring Modpost
A good first show from Ken. It's clear that many people have knives out for him because of his past fuck ups or his associations. I do wish people could save their hatred for those more deserving, but I certainly won't excuse his or others' past behavior. Personally, I think as Ken has acknowledged his errors in judgement and apologized for them, he will better himself and those around him.

I will continue to update this when news arises around new guest hosts (if they don't get their own thread) and when each new guest host appears. Katie Couric is rumored to be next, and hopefully LaVar Burton, who I adore, can get up there too.

Cabal

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I've watched Jeopardy every day for years, love it and Alex Trebek was an amazing host. If they put Ken Jennings on the podium, I'll probably stop watching. He's so charmless and unlikable, even setting aside his shitty takes on Twitter. I cannot think of a more milquetoast choice. Wake me up when Levar starts hosting, much better choice in my opinion.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Saw part of the episode tonight. Cannot say I was a fan, terrible bean dad takes notwithstanding.

Wanace

Oct 29, 2017
Ken Jennings doesn't have any of the charisma or nonpartisan outlook that Trebek had and I don't want to watch the show if he's on it.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
A good first show from Ken. It's clear that many people have knives out for him because of his past fuck ups or his associations. I do wish people could save their hatred for those more deserving, but I certainly won't excuse his or others' past behavior. Personally, I think as Ken has acknowledged his errors in judgement and apologized for them, he will better himself and those around him.

This is factually wrong. It isn't just his past fuck ups or "associations."

It's the fact that literally LAST WEEK, he was on Twitter defending an absolutely vile human as not ACTUALLY being anti-semitic despite mountains of evidence proving otherwise.

You have ignored people in this thread who have pointed that out to you and will likely ignore this reply as well. And I suppose you have every right to do that. But don't then make a post where you lie about why people are upset as a way of defending him.

Last edited:

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
I think there are more qualified potential hosts for Jeopardy. Levar Burton would be good. Alton Brown, mentioned by peteykirch isn't a bad choice either. For folks who haven't been mentioned, I like Hill Harper quite a bit.

Smokeymicpot

Oct 25, 2017
I liked him as host. Would be nice to see if he keeps the gig in a few months or a year. I know Katie Couric is next that should be good.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I didn't know Jennings was such a shit head. I wasn't all that impressed with him yesterday either. Give my boy Burton the gig. It's only fitting that a man who has been helping generations of children to learn and read take over on Jeopardy.

Oct 25, 2017
While Ken does seem a bit witty at times, he is just a tad bland. His intros could feel a bit more natural. Sounds too rehearsed.

I still wish they offer a women a host role here.

Oct 25, 2017
thefederalist.com

Ken Jennings's Stint As 'Jeopardy!' Guest Host Isn't Going Well

As we saw with Ken Jennings's 'opening night jitters,' it's going to be a tall order for anyone to replace 'Jeopardy!' legend Alex Trebek.

I used to like Ken Jennings. Then I learned he sucks in a variety of ways. Hopefully the Jeopardy producers have learned the same.

They need to bring in Levar Burton *at least* as a guest host. Give him a shot.
I so want Meredith Viera like that article says. She was the best Millionaire host.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Watched my first Ken episode last night at the gym. Volume was off so I'm not sure about his delivery, but his posture was not commanding in the way Trebek's was. Kinda slouchy with no presence.

Nov 27, 2017
Just going by the show itself, I don't think Ken has been terrible. He's no Trebek, but no one is going to be. I'm looking forward to seeing how the other guest hosts are going to do. Most of them are more trained in front of the camera so they'll probably be more polished, but I also want the Jeopardy host to seem smart and not just a TV host. I'm sure Ken would improve given more time.

While I don't mind LeVar Burton either way, I don't really understand the groundswell to get him the job. I wonder if any of the Clue Crew people will get a shot at it.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Ken Jennings. Jeopardy can do better than letting that trash be up there.

Oct 25, 2017
While I don't mind LeVar Burton either way, I don't really understand the groundswell to get him the job. I wonder if any of the Clue Crew people will get a shot at it.
I can't speak for anyone else, but for me:

- By all accounts a good person
- BIPOC
- TV presence
- Maybe the biggest reason is that he was the host of Reading Rainbow. Could be a very good fit for Jeopardy.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Ken hasn't been awful, but he is in no way good. He just completely copies Alex's tone and cracks. His squeaky voice is an issue.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Ken has been okay, but his delivery is kind of stiff and it sounds like he's trying too hard to make his voice gameshow host-y. He seems a lot more relaxed on that Master Minds show, and comes off wittier and more likable there.

If they want to go the Jeopardy champion route for the next host, I actually think Brad Rutter would be better. He has a bigger personality and a better voice for hosting.

Oct 27, 2017
I can't speak for anyone else, but for me:

- By all accounts a good person
- BIPOC
- TV presence
- Maybe the biggest reason is that he was the host of Reading Rainbow. Could be a very good fit for Jeopardy.
Reading Rainbow is one my reasons as well, just remembering how he interacted with the kids tells me he can interact with contestants similar to Trebek. Burton really just seems like he enjoys people and that's what the host needs.

Oct 28, 2017
Can someone show me the reason there is Ken Jennings hate? (Not a phrase I ever thought I would type) A link to a story would be nice.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Not a fan of Ken Jennings, but
thefederalist.com

Ken Jennings's Stint As 'Jeopardy!' Guest Host Isn't Going Well

As we saw with Ken Jennings's 'opening night jitters,' it's going to be a tall order for anyone to replace 'Jeopardy!' legend Alex Trebek.

I used to like Ken Jennings. Then I learned he sucks in a variety of ways. Hopefully the Jeopardy producers have learned the same.

They need to bring in Levar Burton *at least* as a guest host. Give him a shot.
The Federalist is a rightwing rag, and their arguments include "Ken Jennings is small and short".

Alton brown is also a piece of shit trumper.
www.today.com

After backlash, Alton Brown apologizes for 'flippant' Holocaust tweets

His followers were quick to call him out for the insensitivity of the comparison he made.
Did you even read your own link?
"I have voted Republican most of my life. I consider myself a conservative. I want to believe there are still "very fine" people on both sides of the aisle but...if #GOP leaders don't get their collective noses out of that man's a--, we're gonna have words," he wrote.

After some fans asked why Brown voted Republican, he clarified that he voted for Joe Biden and Kamala Harris in the presidential election. "It's time for decency and unity to trump tribalism, racism, and disinformation," he added.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
They'd never consider him for multiple (I'll even say valid) reasons, but I think Richard Ayoade would be stellar fit for the hosting position. He's hosted several shows before and has a great balance of smarts and wry wit.

Did you even read your own link?

Damn, never knew Brown had historically been a Republican.

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's crazy to me that they haven't even mentioned trying Levar. He'd be perfect! Although Meredith Vieira would be a great fit too I think.

Oct 25, 2017
The Federalist is a rightwing rag, and their arguments include "Ken Jennings is small and short".
Never heard of The Federalist before. Just checked their other articles and rightwing rag is a good description. Wouldn't have shared it had I known

That said, I generally agree with the summary, though holy shit I missed this:

"Conservatives took umbrage (rightly) when many leftist, sarcastic, and otherwise offensive tweets from prior years resurfaced." šŸ¤£

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Without knowing anything about Jennings, I watched the first one he hosted.

It was awful. The guy is so incredibly boring, and even annoying. Ended up watching something else after 10 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.