• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
They were his own ideas, but he still wouldn't have the same level of freedom at a big company that he would have at his own indie studio.

Given that Gravity Rush 2 came out in 2017 and he doesn't have any credits after that at Sony, it's most likely that he was working on a game at Sony that ended up getting cancelled, at which point he decided he'd be better off being independent. It's also quite possibly that he saw that the writing was on the wall and that he'd be better off quitting on his own terms rather than wait until he got fired or his studio was downsized and folded into another department.
Isn't the rumor that he was working on a silent hill reboot? Maybe he didn't agree with the direction it was going and someone else from the team took over.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
some other new art works from the video

www.gematsu.com

Bokeh Game Studio CEO Keiichiro Toyama discusses first game in ‘Focus’ creator spotlight

Bokeh Game Studio, the new studio founded by Silent Hill, SIREN, and Gravity Rush creator Keiichiro Toyama, has published a nine-minute “Focus” video introducing the CEO and creative di…

Bokeh-Game-Studio_2021_02-15-21_001.jpg

Bokeh-Game-Studio_2021_02-15-21_003a.jpg

Bokeh-Game-Studio_2021_02-15-21_005.jpg

Bokeh-Game-Studio_2021_02-15-21_006.jpg

Bokeh-Game-Studio_2021_02-15-21_008.jpg

I'm already scared. 😱

Oct 27, 2017
Wishing him and the studio the best, its scary and exciting to go off and do your own thing. One particular point that stood out to me is where he shortly talked about game creation and photography and control of his vision. When automation tools take off for gaming, it's going to be one hell of a golden age for creatives in this space.

Really enjoyed this, thanks for sharing.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I believe he said in one of the threads that he is still involved in a limited fashion but is not a lead anymore. So if it is true he probably settled all the preproduction work and moved on while still be in a consultant role. That is of course assuming the whole thing is true.

It's pretty funny if he left Sony to "keep making games in his own style" while he's also making one of his own style of games for Sony even after he left.

It feels like he was feeling creatively stifled and limited at Sony, hence leaving to start his own studio to make a horror game...but he's also making a horror game for Sony? Like none of it really lines up or makes logical sense.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Who's this? Has he done anything cool?

You bet he has. Silent Hill, Siren, Gravity Rush.

It's pretty funny if he left Sony to "keep making games in his own style" while he's also making one of his own style of games for Sony even after he left.

It feels like he was feeling creatively stifled and limited at Sony, hence leaving to start his own studio to make a horror game...but he's also making a horror game for Sony? Like none of it really lines up or makes logical sense.

It is a different relationship if you are first, second or third party.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It is a different relationship if you are first, second or third party.

I just don't see why he would want to work on two horror games at the same time. Or why he would make one horror game for Sony, quit halfway through and leave to make his own horror game, but KEEP CONSULTING on the first one.

It feels to me like the genesis of this whole rumor was Toyama tried to get a horror project together at Sony last year, the project either got cancelled or failed to get greenlit mid-year and Toyama left as a result, taking some of his ideas with him to start his own studio.

I just can't see him doing both.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
He makes amazing games and especially super creative horror games but imo he should really reconsider how clunky the gameplay and character movement/combat tend to feel in his (survival horror) games.
But that's effective to establish the characters through gameplay. They're not trained soldiers like Resident Evil, they're regular people. At least if we're talking about Siren and Silent Hill. I'd like to see more games where the gameplay and controls matched the theme and characters to achieve ludonarrative resonance.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But that's effective to establish the characters through gameplay. They're not trained soldiers like Resident Evil, they're regular people. At least if we're talking about Siren and Silent Hill. I'd like to see more games where the gameplay and controls matched the theme and characters to achieve ludonarrative resonance.

Nah, I finished Siren 2 recently and these characters are way clunkier than normal people.

He takes it too far.

Ibuki

Feb 6, 2021
I just don't see why he would want to work on two horror games at the same time. Or why he would make one horror game for Sony, quit halfway through and leave to make his own horror game, but KEEP CONSULTING on the first one.

It feels to me like the genesis of this whole rumor was Toyama tried to get a horror project together at Sony last year, the project either got cancelled or failed to get greenlit mid-year and Toyama left as a result, taking some of his ideas with him to start his own studio.

So you have reasonable expectations of what is happening with that rumor unlike most of the people still perpetuating it. I'm just glad he is still making video games, it doesn't have to be Silent Hill for it to be good.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

agreed. it's just hard to believe the creator of a series being given the chance to work on the series again after 20 years, and then leave before it's announced, much less released.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Nah, I finished Siren 2 recently and these characters are way clunkier than normal people.

He takes it too far.
It's probably a deliberate choice to do that considering 4 of his horror games are like that, and people are free to have their interpretations on whether they like it or not. I'd be more surprised if his next horror games had very responsive controls and combat.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Hope it succeeds, I'm all for more horror games, especially from someone with the pedigree like Toyama. Does seem to put the kibosh on some of the Silent Hill stuff, otherwise it would be very weird for him to leave Sony.

Ani

Nov 9, 2020
Didn't he previously state he made Gravity Rush because him and his team were fatigued with working on horror material for so long? I suppose he got over that fatigue with Gravity Rush and wants back in? He's good at horror so it's probably a good call but I really grew to like his team's style with Gravity Rush. It was definitely much more enjoyable for me than Siren was.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't he previously state he made Gravity Rush because him and his team were fatigued with working on horror material for so long? I suppose he got over that fatigue with Gravity Rush and wants back in? He's good at horror so it's probably a good call but I really grew to like his team's style with Gravity Rush. It was definitely much more enjoyable for me than Siren was.

It has been 13 years since his last horror game so...

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised that he'd go back to horror, but the games of his I have personally played and am very very fond of are both Gravity Rush games. So in a way that's disappointing to hear, but I'll keep an eye out and see if I can stomach it since I've been interested in both SH and Siren anyway.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Got around to watching the video with English subtitles and some points I thought were interesting.

Founded the new studio so that he could keep making his style of games. He feels that the IPs he makes can be enjoyed long after they come out. Talked about how games are made for mass audiences now, but his games have always found their own audiences.

The new game has dark horror elements, but he wants the player to feel exhilarated while playing it. He wants that mix between horror & fun & exciting.

He enjoys comics and he's enjoyed the death game genre, how it takes normal people and puts them in exciting & unusual life or death situations. He thinks that the new game will be inspired by that.

The city or town that a game take place in is crucial (definitely true of Silent Hill, Siren, and Gravity Rush). Talked about how many Asian cities have a touch of exotic mixed with modern. He wants to capture that.

He's a big fan of photography (which you could probably guess from the name of the studio).

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
It's worth noting that they have previously said their first game will not be a pure horror title. So for those expecting silent hill or siren don't set your expectations there.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm more into Gravity Rush than both Silent Hill and SIREN, so the idea of "horror themes but focused on entertainment rather than pure horror" sounds fantastic to me. While I'm not that into pure horror, I find the horror inspiration to be a godsend for good enemy design and variety. His description of what defines horror from his perspective also fits very nicely with my own preferences. Fuan no Tane is probably my single favorite horror thing ever.

Whatever it is, I'm definitely supporting them. I've been a little disappointed with Sony's first party output since pretty much Gravity Rush 2, so whenever one of the people responsible for making the games that made me care about their output in the first place branches off, I have to put my money where my mouth is. Just recently played Gravity Rush 2 for the first time, it was a very uneven game, with some of the worst chapters of both games by far. But it also had some incredibly high highs, and I definitely don't regret playing it, and it'll leave an impression on me for sure.

Mat-triX

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt it would happen, but if Microsoft did pick them up, that would just add to the ridiculousness of their portfolio; having both the creator of Resident Evil AND the creator of Silent Hill on the pay roll. More than happy with them being independent, but it's just a funny thought.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Everyone wants to jump on the samurai ninja trend.

But this looks like some hiphop ninja with soundtrack from DJ Krush and some triphop.

Those dense apartment houses and that closes airplane reminds me of the first Ghost in The Shell movie aswell as Tekkon Kinkreet and Kowloon in Hong Kong (which propably inspired Gravity Rush)
And I can see som French Belgian visual novel inspirations too in that watered down colors.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
We need more independent Japanese studios. They really make the most interesting looking games outside of indie studios.