• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

stryke

Oct 28, 2017
Bokeh Game Studio have uploaded a promotional interview focusing on founder and creative director Keiichiro Toyama.
Has some details why he left Sony and what he wants to achieve.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what he was doing between uberbad epic bomba gravity hallway frame rate drop stealth sim 2k18 and his departure.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
lSLy7rM.png

Cool art.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping for something more similar to Gravity Rush, but I'm glad he's making the game he wants.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Really nice he have new studio now. With Sony focusing mainly on big budget AAA titles, pressure for Japan studio must have been quite insane.

Looking forward to see reveal of his horror game in next year or two.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Huh? I thought he was still on Silent Hill made by Sony according to KatharsisT. Confused by this.
I believe he said in one of the threads that he is still involved in a limited fashion but is not a lead anymore. So if it is true he probably settled all the preproduction work and moved on while still be in a consultant role. That is of course assuming the whole thing is true.

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
The last time he spoke about it he said it would be less horror focused than silent Hill in order to appeal to a wider audience focusing more on the adventure aspects.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He makes amazing games and especially super creative horror games but imo he should really reconsider how clunky the gameplay and character movement/combat tend to feel in his (survival horror) games.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I have a feeling they will quickly become a first party Studio. Whoever puts in the best offer. Can't see his style being part of the Nintendo 1st party portfolio, but would go well with sony or MS (more so Sony imo).

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling they will quickly become a first party Studio. Whoever puts in the best offer. Can't see his style being part of the Nintendo 1st party portfolio, but would go well with sony or MS (more so Sony imo).
why would he go back to Sony after he just left?

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I mean, why would he left Sony to make his own studio and then sell the studio to them or MS in such short time?
Not saying this can't happen one day, but I don't see logic in happening anytime soon.

Raigor

May 14, 2020

He left Sony and you think he is going to become a 1st party studio? What the actual fuck? lol

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
He left Sony and you think he is going to become a 1st party studio? What the actual fuck? lol

People here love it when developpers are owned by their favorite company.

Money. If he gets a great offer from Sony and the freedom he wants, every will be forgotten

So... Guy left because he wasn't getting any stuff and suddenly, Sony buy his studio when they didn't care about him when he was an employee there.

Sounds... Dubious.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Money. If he gets a great offer from Sony and the freedom he wants, every will be forgotten

He left, most likely because he wasn't getting either of those. But even if they did make him a good offer, he spent over 2 decades at Sony. At this point, it's clear he wants to do his own thing and be his own boss.

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
He left, most likely because he wasn't getting either of those. But even if they did make him a good offer, he spent over 2 decades at Sony. At this point, it's clear he wants to do his own thing and be his own boss.
Fairly sure Siren and Gravity Rush were both his ideas and not forced in him by Sony.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
doubt they'd wanna join sony again, since they just left.
don't see them joining any first party tbh, i think it's more likely for them to get a deal from Epic or something.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

He left Sony so they would have more freedom to work on what they want, being acquired by them defeats the whole point.

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
Hopefully, otherwise I could see his game failing in the current day and age.
Nah, I think plenty of Silent Hill fans would love to play another in that style. The ones he worked on (1-4) are still the best survival horror games ever made. Siren sort of lost me with the sight-jack mechanic but I want to go back and try them again.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
This man is a treasure. Can't wait to see how this project comes together in the coming years.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I think plenty of Silent Hill fans would love to play another in that style. The ones he worked on (1-4) are still the best survival horror games ever made. Siren sort of lost me with the sight-jack mechanic but I want to go back and try them again.

He only worked on SH1 iirc.

Siren 2 was amazing and super unique for a survival horror game but that clunkiness was undeniable.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Fairly sure Siren and Gravity Rush were both his ideas and not forced in him by Sony.

They were his own ideas, but he still wouldn't have the same level of freedom at a big company that he would have at his own indie studio.

Given that Gravity Rush 2 came out in 2017 and he doesn't have any credits after that at Sony, it's most likely that he was working on a game at Sony that ended up getting cancelled, at which point he decided he'd be better off being independent. It's also quite possibly that he saw that the writing was on the wall and that he'd be better off quitting on his own terms rather than wait until he got fired or his studio was downsized and folded into another department.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Don't care for horror games, but it's always nice to see people pursuing their passions

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
Holy shit that concept art!

Also, Gravity Rush was too good for this cruel world...

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They were his own ideas, but he still wouldn't have the same level of freedom at a big company that he would have at his own indie studio.

Given that Gravity Rush 2 came out in 2017 and he doesn't have any credits after that at Sony, it's most likely that he was working on a game at Sony that ended up getting cancelled, at which point he decided he'd be better off being independent. It's also quite possibly that he saw that the writing was on the wall and that he'd be better off quitting on his own terms rather than wait until he got fired or his studio was downsized and folded into another department.

Going by what he said previously it's pretty much confirmed that at the very least one of his projects was canceled post GR2.

Very well might be two though because he mentioned starting anew with fresh ideas after the first one was canned.