• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
From the first-party thread, credit to Gematsu and Jarod McChicken . Seems interesting and substantial enough for its own thread.

Also shares a little look at what 2018 was like for him. Seems like it was full of challenges and development hell.
Possibly even cancellation of his existing project since he initially hinted it might be a new third-person adventure IP.

081. Sony Interactive Entertainment's Keiichiro Toyama
2019 Keyword: Comeback.

While the thought never occurred to me during the year, 2018 was a troubling year where one thing after the next didn't go as expected. We had the opportunity to speak with Siren fans of 15 years at the "Siren Exhibition," and I was able to get motivation for making games in the future, as well as big hints. In 2019, I want to turn over a new leaf and go full power from the very beginning!

https://gematsu.com/2018/12/game-creators-tease-2019-ambitions-in-weekly-famitsu

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't interpret this to be a Siren tease to be honest, all I understand is the next Toyama game is going to be even far away than expected -_-

If even Toyama can't make it right anymore, I don't know what kind of output we can expect from Japan Studio in the future.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I really don't interpret this to be a Siren tease to be honest, all I understand is the next Toyama game is going to be even far away than expected -_-
Op is referring to the part where toyama mentions siren fans gave him motivation for his project, which sounds like it would be something the fans would want, i think. Could be i am interpreting this wrong however.

OP
OP
Nightengale

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

If even Toyama can't make it right anymore, I don't know what kind of output we can expect from Japan Studio in the future.

Possibly. I was a bit reluctant to make this thread too, but I feel like him saying that he was reenergized by the Siren fans and finding inspiration there seems to be more substantial than not.

As for the challenges faced, a new IP is always a challenge.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Hm, that's worrying. He did mention that he was working on a new action game after the release of GR2 though, so I don't think it's Siren, if it didn't get cancelled.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Siren Origins sounds good to me. But before that, get Bluepoint Games to do a Siren Trilogy Remastered.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I think a new horror IP would be a better idea than Siren, it's good to start fresh. But as you guys have said Toyama is likely working on a more action orientated IP, I hope it works out for the team.

Japan Studios has been a weaker link for Sony first party this gen (Far from being bad, but not having the heights of Santa Monica, Naughty Dog and Guerilla Games), but since their major projects in The Last Guardian and Gravity Rush are now done, it's a good opportunity for them to focus and get new stuff on the way.

PinballRJ

Oct 25, 2017
Gravity Rush is one of my favorite games, I'm glad he got to try a sequel but unfortunately it did nothing sales wise. So a new IP would be great, this guy definitely has amazing ideas

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Whatever Toyama touches, I'm there for. Sad to hear his new game may be cancelled but if that means we're getting a new Siren than I'm perfectly happy. Siren is the shit.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
I'd be totally up for a new Siren game. It's been a while and new hardware should allow for some sick shit.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I think a new horror IP would be a better idea than Siren, it's good to start fresh. But as you guys have said Toyama is likely working on a more action orientated IP, I hope it works out for the team.

Japan Studios has been a weaker link for Sony first party this gen (Far from being bad, but not having the heights of Santa Monica, Naughty Dog and Guerilla Games), but since their major projects in The Last Guardian and Gravity Rush are now done, it's a good opportunity for them to focus and get new stuff on the way.
They've had a project directed by the writer/director of Soul Sacrifice cooking for 4+ years now. I really hope that doesn't fall apart, since I assumed it was a last hurrah for the PS4 / possibly a PS5 launch title.

Anecdotal twitter stuff didn't seem to indicate it was in trouble or anything :/

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I would kill for anything in the same vein as Siren. It was the only thing that approached what I enjoyed about Silent Hill.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
vtx47107_0.jpg

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
With how
the end of gravity 2 was
. You could tell the guy was ready to do some horror again.

Hopefully it would work out well. I've tried to play both Siren on PS2 and the PS3 game and they just feel really wonky to go back to.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
https://www.polygon.com/2013/10/30/...-discusses-how-he-joined-the-game-biz-and-why

"I've worked on horror for a long time," he replied, "so whenever I work on something different, I can't help but come up with new horror-oriented ideas. So I'd like to make another horror game someday, but the thing is, unlike in the past, I think it's become kind of hard to make horror games. To some extent, horror is a good match for the 'B' genre, in terms of taking advantage of low budgets for the maximum return and maximum quality. However, we're now in an environment where B-grade titles are simply being priced out of the retail-software market. I think making a pure horror AAA console title is going to be really difficult going into the future. Instead, if I have a chance to make something like Journey that you can complete in two or three hours, but still offers an intense horror experience, I'd love to try that."

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure it would suit Siren with its double-vision mechanics but I'd take a horror game in VR from him. Japan Studio has been struggling on the AAA market but it feels like their seemingly smaller budgets could make for some great shorter titles in VR.

One day I'd love a Gravity Rush 3 too. I feel GR2 at its best was an outstanding masterpiece but for some inexplicable reason, parts of it were riddled with terrible game design and boring filler.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just gonna state a Siren VR game would be incredible but would possibly kill people. Sight jacking in VR would be a fucking crazy experience.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
If it is a new Siren let's see how Sony handles it.
-Siren 2 was localized for Europe only and still isn't available as a PS2 Classic.
-Siren: Blood Curse was digital only in the North America while Europe got a physical release. The North American version was the most censored (like Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water which was digital only and censored by Nintendo in North America). Why censor "M" rated horror games?

Last edited:

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Somebody needs to make an open world survival horror game already. If it's not going to be Silent Hill, I'd be down for a fully explorable Siren town.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Somebody needs to make an open world survival horror game already. If it's not going to be Silent Hill, I'd be down for a fully explorable Siren town.

Open world horror really doesn't work well, honestly. Horror games function on elements like the betrayal of expectation and managed tension. If you have a giant open map to run around in, it's very difficult for the developers to curate the experience in a way that feels natural. Eventually (and probably quicker than even in a scripted game) you'll become wise to the systems the developers use to manufacture fear and surprise, and eventually it'll just wind up as another open world game but with lots of loud noises.

The closest you're going to get is the kind of "wide" horror experiences we have like The Evil Within 2, and even that game isn't very good at the open world stuff and most of its best moments take place inside of linear, scripted instances.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toyama is low-key one of the best horror game directors ever. Silent Hill 1 is one of the greatest horror games ever made and Siren: Blood Curse was one of the best horror games to come out during the PS3 era. Really hope he makes another horror game, whether it's another Siren or a new IP.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Open world horror really doesn't work well, honestly. Horror games function on elements like the betrayal of expectation and managed tension. If you have a giant open map to run around in, it's very difficult for the developers to curate the experience in a way that feels natural. Eventually (and probably quicker than even in a scripted game) you'll become wise to the systems the developers use to manufacture fear and surprise, and eventually it'll just wind up as another open world game but with lots of loud noises.

The closest you're going to get is the kind of "wide" horror experiences we have like The Evil Within 2, and even that game isn't very good at the open world stuff and most of its best moments take place inside of linear, scripted instances.

I don't think we can declare that it "doesn't work well" yet. Besides TEW2, which was generally well received, nobody else has really tried it. To me, that just says it hasn't been figured out yet.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we can declare that it "doesn't work well" yet. Besides TEW2, which was generally well received, nobody else has really tried it. To me, that just says it hasn't been figured out yet.

TEW2 didn't really work as an open world game, though. The best parts of that game were almost entirely when you were being guided down a specific path the devs wanted you to see. Walking around Reunion and occasionally being swarmed by a couple of zombies with absurdly wide aggro ranges wasn't exactly fun.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Toyama returning to horror would be amaaazing. I'd rather him do a new horror IP, but I trust him if he's doing another Siren.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Man I really need to play Gravity Rush 2. I think I've had it since day 1, just sitting there...

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
The man knows horror.

Blood Curse is the second most terrifying experience that I had with a videogame.

Hearing the music on the PS3's dashboard alone gave me shivers

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TEW2 didn't really work as an open world game, though. The best parts of that game were almost entirely when you were being guided down a specific path the devs wanted you to see. Walking around Reunion and occasionally being swarmed by a couple of zombies with absurdly wide aggro ranges wasn't exactly fun.
I played it as a stealth game and really liked the open sections, I guess we just had different experiences.

If you're talking about a game that delivers a constant roller coaster of scares, like Dead Space 2 or TEW1, then I agree that only a linear format would work. But a slower, more subtle game where the fear comes from heavy atmosphere, where the encounters are tailored to an open world, I think that absolutely could be done.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
They've had a project directed by the writer/director of Soul Sacrifice cooking for 4+ years now. I really hope that doesn't fall apart, since I assumed it was a last hurrah for the PS4 / possibly a PS5 launch title.

Anecdotal twitter stuff didn't seem to indicate it was in trouble or anything :/
Source? Cause I can't remember ever getting any confirmation of that, I think it's just one of the many pieces of baseless speculation Henrik used to post (and still probably does on Twitter). He's the same person who suggested Splatoon's co-director left Nintendo and joined Sony because he didn't work on Splatoon 2, when in reality he'd just gone on to work on other Nintendo projects. So take what he says with a massive grain of salt, he takes some massive leaps based on next to nothing and states it in a way that makes it sound like he has more information than he does.

Anyway, I wouldn't say that's a hint at Siren, it just sounds like those fans gave him motivation. It does sound like he's struggled a bit with his latest project though but that's probably pretty common with every new IP.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Hopefully he's returning to horror, and to what he did with Silent Hill. That would be a dream come true, especially now when Silent Hills is gone.

If it is a new Siren let's see how Sony handles it.
-Siren 2 was localized for Europe only and still isn't available as a PS2 Classic.
-Siren: Blood Curse was digital only in the West. The North American version was the most censored (like Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water which was digital only and censored by Nintendo in North America). Why censor "M" rated horror games?

Blood Curse got a physical release in Europe.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
By the way, what was censored from it, and did it also apply to EU version?
Looking around online-
-The opening ritual with a stabbing is obscured by a shaking camera effect and a new obscured angle.
-A suicide by gunshot is cut away from.
-Characters and enemies show a significantly lower amount of blood splatter on their skin and clothing.

Now I learned that Siren 1 on PS2 was also cut for North America, a suicide and a death fade away before the player sees what happened. Unlike the Japanese version.
The Japanese, Asia and Europe versions are uncut from what I can find.
I had imported the Asian disc version back in the day because of this.