• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
hopefully there's no cringey kojima tribute in the game awards, that bit was hard to watch at the gamescom opening night live.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
I'm aware of these rules. I still think a conflict exists. It's Geoff's show primarily. Beyond the voting categories there's other aspects of the show he's in charge of. I'm just asking for a statement of transparency. I'd argue that Kojima / DS have had more prominent featuring on the show over the course of the last 5 years than any other dev/game, now the game is out this year, and Geoff is featured in it.

Huh? Why does he need to provide a statement of transparency? It's his show, I don't think he needs permission to have guests on and Kojima doesn't need permission to put certain people in his game. If you don't like either, don't watch/play the game.

I'm not even a fan of Kojima or his games, but this is a weird thing to complain about.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Hey Geoff Keighley, I'm interested to know how you're going to handle the conflict of interest that exists between yourself and Kojima / Death Stranding, especially given that you're featured in the game.
Keighley doesn't get a vote, that's how it's handled. What trailers or game reveals have been at TGA:s probably haven't had any effect on what games media thinks is the game of the year. Most games that have had a trailer there haven't scored even a nomination. Keighley doesn't benefit from Death Stranding winning any awards, even though he has the cameo.

And DS ain't winning anyway.

Last edited:

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
It should, but Kingdom Hearts 3 will probably also be nominated, so it won't.

Are you sure about that? Three Houses still has buzz, but KH3 feels like it's hype fizzled out a few weeks after release, and a lot of impressions I've read are that it was ultimately a disappointment due to how backloaded (and for some, nonsensical) the story was. I haven't played the game and probably never will, but going off impression so on message boards and Reddit has led me to this observation.

And also, are the awards given based on popular vote or panel of "experts"? If it's a panel, then KH 3 will certainly not beat out FE

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Are you sure about that? Three Houses still has buzz, but KH3 feels like it's hype fizzled out a few weeks after release, and a lot of impressions I've read are that it was ultimately a disappointment due to how backloaded (and for some, nonsensical) the story was. I haven't played the game and probably never will, but going off impression so on message boards and Reddit has led me to this observation.

And also, are the awards given based on popular vote or panel of "experts"? If it's a panel, then KH 3 will certainly not beat out FE
I think it's 90% panel, 10% fan vote? Maybe Geoff Keighley can correct me if I'm wrong or if they're changing it this year

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
hopefully it's in the middle of the show so i can use it as a bathroom break
I'm not so sure, it made sense to give it to him right after the Konami deal and at Gamescom when there wasn't an awards aspect, but they may try to avoid something like that as it'll be awkward if he's among the nominees

om_devan

May 14, 2018
Geoff, here're my suggestions for this year's TGA:
1. Live orchestra of Sekiro's Divine Dragon.
2. Industry Icon Award for father Miyazaki.
3. Elden Ring gameplay trailer.

Thanks

Geoff Keighley

The Game Awards Mastermind
Verified
Nov 12, 2017
Hey Geoff Keighley, I'm interested to know how you're going to handle the conflict of interest that exists between yourself and Kojima / Death Stranding, especially given that you're featured in the game.

I don't vote on the nominees or winners for the Game Awards -- we have a separate panel. It's not just because of DS, but in general it's better that I am not involved to avoid any conflict of interest concerns.

FayaEmblaimu

Alt account
Banned
Aug 2, 2019
I don't vote on the nominees or winners for the Game Awards -- we have a separate panel. It's not just because of DS, but in general it's better that I am not involved to avoid any conflict of interest concerns.

Do you think people thinking about conflict of interest are overreacting? I mean it's a serious question. You do an awesome job but maybe you are tired of people always saying this about you being friend with Kojima etc..

Geoff Keighley

The Game Awards Mastermind
Verified
Nov 12, 2017
Do you think people thinking about conflict of interest are overreacting? I mean it's a serious question. You do an awesome job but maybe you are tired of people always saying this about you being friend with Kojima etc..

It's a totally fair question -- I appreciate that everyone takes the awards so seriously. I work so closely with developers across the industry on world premieres and other projects that I am happy to not vote. Plus, I get so busy with the show I honestly don't have enough time to play all the November games until post-show.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i look forward to the game awards for all the indie game trailers and premiers

there was a lot of really good ones last year

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I admit, as someone who loathed the VGAs, I think that the TGAs have morphed into a mostly enjoyable industry event. It's not perfect as an awards ceremony, but as a marketing event, it's done a good job of being a fun winter season preview event with good (but not great-- this is the area where I think it could improve a lot) acknowledgment of some of the industry's annual achievements.

I personally like having an event to look back at the year and also look forward to the future.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I think that's good. In 2017 fortnite was nominated which was controversial, but you even explained that it had merits for and against it. Having a panel decide can have fair spread opinions.

IceBear

Nov 20, 2017
WIll Kojima finally get a lifetime achievement award for his work done on Death Stranding?