• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Geoff Keighley

The Game Awards Mastermind
Verified
Nov 12, 2017
It won't get a GOTY nom for a few reasons:
1. Geoff doesn't like Smash. He's gone on record saying that before. He feels like it's a shallow fighting game and only gets so much love due to it being a Nintendo nostalgiagasm.

2. The Game Awards are frequently unkind to Nintendo. Only time they've ever done well is when they basically had to give them all the awards, like with Breath of the Wild. Hell despite having 6 nominations last year, it lost ALL of them, including the best family game category.

3. Geoff is still kind of in the mindset of appealing to old-school 18-30 year old males. If you go back and watch older G-Phorias and Spike TV Game Awards from the 2000s and the height of dudebro culture (which he also produced), they are very much dedicated to those kind of gamers (MADDEN was GOTY in 2003 of all things), and that hasn't changed much. Going after kids and ERA users aren't the audiences he wants. He wants the people most likely to buy and play they games they'll be revealing/promoting.

1. Where did I say this? Do you have a source?

2. There have been some fun Nintendo surprise wins at TGA too. I think Splatoon won one year, I remember that was unexpected.

3. I didn't have anything to do with VGAs 2003. I attended the show.

Thanks for playing.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait! Show has been getting better and better, I'm sure this year will be the best yet.

Good luck Geoff.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
Not expecting much this year. Everything is gonna be on lock down for next Gen. Console announcements.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping for some cool reveals especially next gen ones. The awards stuff can be hit and miss but they have been getting better each year.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Apologies if this has already been answered, but wasn't there some confusion on whether Death Stranding comes out soon enough to qualify for this year's Game Awards?

Fire Emblem is 100% taking Best RPG. Obsidian jank will block Outer Worlds from taking first there. (Also it's gonna sell pretty bad)

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Will this finally be the year FE wins strategy for the first time? Fates lost against Civ VI and Echoes wasn't even nominated, but 3H has been making a lot of noise and got great reviews i can't even think of other big strategy game this year.
Total War: 3 Kingdoms.

Given the sparsity of RPGs, Greedfall might get nominated. That'd be someting.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
Total War: 3 Kingdoms.

Given the sparsity of RPGs, Greedfall might get nominated. That'd be someting.
That's true i forgot total war, should be between those two, i think the RPG awards will probably go to Kingdom Hearts or Outer Worlds if it's good, maybe even Astral Chain gets nominated in that category since there weren't a lot of big RPGs this year

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
What streamer who uses racist slurs is he going to highlight and give an award to this year

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still remember VGX 2013 as if it were yesterday lol.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Last year was a great surprise, so I'll be watching this time in full. Let's see if they can surpass this:

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
If he can keep the momentum going and make it the prime place for big announcements, he'll have this show for a looooooooooong time

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We don't have anything to share yet on world premieres and games. But rest assured I have been working very hard to find some good things :)

Any hints in terms of what to expect with world premieres - more/bigger than past years? Similar?

I have really enjoyed the shows, and feel each year has been better than the last.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
We don't have anything to share yet on world premieres and games. But rest assured I have been working very hard to find some good things :)

Geoff, you know what gameplay we want!

ksj1dzl2hrl31.jpg

Jan 2, 2018
Fire Emblem is a lock for Best Strategy Game. The Best Family Game category will be a Nintendo filled bloodbath this year: Super Smash Bros., Super Mario Maker 2, Pokémon, Luigis Mansion 3,...
Best Fighting game is probably between Smash and MK11.
Best RPG? Fire Emblem has a good shot this year I would think? What other notable RPGs released this year?
Perhaps Astral Chain will get at least a nomination for Best Action Game?

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
That's true i forgot total war, should be between those two, i think the RPG awards will probably go to Kingdom Hearts or Outer Worlds if it's good, maybe even Astral Chain gets nominated in that category since there weren't a lot of big RPGs this year
The other strategy titles were Frostpunk, Age of Wonders: Planetfall, and that game that looks like Advance Wars whose name I can never remember. That one actually got really good reviews, too.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Hey Geoff Keighley, I'm interested to know how you're going to handle the conflict of interest that exists between yourself and Kojima / Death Stranding, especially given that you're featured in the game.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats on the 5 year anniversary Geoff Keighley , the show has been growing into quite the event, and I thought last year was very smooth.

Looking forward forward to it, hoping for some Elden Ring reveals!

May 5, 2018
Fire Emblem is a lock for Best Strategy Game. The Best Family Game category will be a Nintendo filled bloodbath this year: Super Smash Bros., Super Mario Maker 2, Pokémon, Luigis Mansion 3,...
Best Fighting game is probably between Smash and MK11.
Best RPG? Fire Emblem has a good shot this year I would think? What other notable RPGs released this year?
Perhaps Astral Chain will get at least a nomination for Best Action Game?
Pokémon also has a good chance at best RPG too as well as The Outer Worlds (If that ends up getting good scores, I think that one wins best RPG). But yeah, its been kind of a not so notable year for RPG's besides Fire Emblem (which I think that or TW 3 Kingdoms wins best strategy. Three Houses vs. Three Kingdoms, what's your preferred Trio?) Wait...Indivisible is coming out this year and if that gets some solid review scores it'll definitely contend for best RPG. Oh right, KH3 came out too.

Though honestly you're not wrong about Best Family Game eventually being loaded with Switch games. I can see an indie like Untitled Goose Game getting a nom there too, but that last spot could go to Yoshi's Crafted World to make it a flow blown Nintendo category ha!

But we'll see in two months how the rest of 2019 games rate and see which games get the nominations. I'm rooting for Fire Emblem and Super Mario Maker 2 to do well when the show starts. Also Geoff, I know this year's Madden isn't the strongest, but maybe my game can contend for best Sports/Racing game?

Oh and one more thing, Ace Combat 7 hopefully gets a nomination for best action game and Best Original Score.

Last edited:

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
🤦‍♂️

There's no "conflict of interest".

I'm aware of these rules. I still think a conflict exists. It's Geoff's show primarily. Beyond the voting categories there's other aspects of the show he's in charge of. I'm just asking for a statement of transparency. I'd argue that Kojima / DS have had more prominent featuring on the show over the course of the last 5 years than any other dev/game, now the game is out this year, and Geoff is featured in it.