• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019

This show is huge right now but I honestly wasn't expecting a movie so soon! The show just started in mid-January!

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Not a good idea, the best parts of the show is when you get to see their imagination come to life through animation

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
A movie? It's not uncommon for popular anime to get a dorama adaptation relatively quickly, but I wasn't expecting a movie this soon

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is certainly not the property I expected to see go live-action. The whole power of the show is the animation.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
That sounds like an even weirder idea than these usually are with how much the entire show is about animation.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
The actresses are too generic and do a disservice to the designs from the show.

For once we get an anime with some personality for its female cast and they ruin it.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Very interested in how they'll be able to convey the imagination stuff in live action. It's a series about MAKING animation and what the anime studios go through to make anime, so live action is still a pretty viable way to go about this (just obviously not as imaginative as the anime and manga)

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Actresses are wayyyyyyy too pretty for Sayaka and Midori (specially Sayaka's actress).

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Actresses are wayyyyyyy too pretty for Sayaka and Midori (specially Sayaka's actress).
They look just like really generic girls next door actresses. I mean there's really only so much you can do or expect when casting with real people -- there isn't a huge audience for unattractive actors. I don't think the actresses are especially pretty nor do I think the characters on the show are unattractive. They're just normal girls. As long as one of them is notably taller then I think that's fine. I guess a case could be made that Mizusaki isn't pretty enough or at least that she looks too old.

Doesnt this kind of go against the spirit of the show?
Not really, it just depends on how effectively they can convey the imagination parts. My guess is that it won't be done very well due to budget constraints, but it -could- be done well.

Solaire

Oct 29, 2017
They look like models on that poster. Definitely a different vibe than what the anime seems to be going for, to say the least.

I love what I'm seeing of the anime's artstyle though, so I'm definitely checking that one out.

Edit: ..looks like I missed out on the fact that Yuasa had a new anime. Currently airing. Blessed. 😭

Last edited:

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Feel like a Live Action version of this show kinda of defeats the point to me. What's enjoying is watching a show about people who are passionate about their work in Anime sharing it through Anime. This may just be me though.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
That's a little unfair to the mangaka. :P

Wikipedia says a live-action TV show is starting in April as well.. does anyone know if they're using the same actresses for that as well? Talk about a property blowing up in a big way!

"Also, prior to the film's theatrical release, a six-episode TV drama by the same staff and cast will be aired on MBS' midnight programming block "Daramaism" from April 5. "

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, IMO Eizouken isn't exactly a remarkable work in terms of story, but it has good animation and spirit. I really don't see why a live action version would be a good idea.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well the show has been absolutely amazing so far and already a contender for Anime of the Year. I'm now pretty interested in the original manga, and could see this live action adaptation being worthwhile in its own way.

As long as the characters remain as wierd and quirky but passionate as they are in the show/manga I'll definitely enjoy it.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree that a live action adaptation can't do what the animated adaptation can do. It'll just have a harder time reproducing the calvin & hobbes trips into the imagination that make the current show so electrifying to watch.

I don't expect to like it as much as the show but it's probably not going to be bad. I can think of worse things to adapt to live action than a story about 3 sharply-defined characters with unique personalities, strengths, vulnerabilities and unambiguous ambition without a shred of the typical anime bullshit you have to climb over to see.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Your typical live-action anime/manga adaptation. Cast a bunch of conventionally-attractive talent (not necessarily actors) from a talent factory in the roles.

ryuukan

Oct 25, 2017

please continue to discuss why it's bad to show real people making anime even though real people in fact are the ones who make anime