• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that's something I would worry about once I have the 2000. The thing is I could get a basic black Vita 2000 for about 60-80€ in a local pawn-shop but these sweet Japanese white units tempt me ever so much and I'm sure these will get super rare super quick now that everything is out of production.
Ooooo I know the allure of the white Vita. I dropped way too much money when I bought my second one, the White Assassins Creed bundle one. It was worth every penny. It was my main unit for the longest time, but I recently retired it roughly 5 months ago or so when I bought a friends 3G vita, making that my second 3G one, after my launch day purchase. The 2k ones come in such beautiful colors, so yea, save up and get the one you want, because like you said they will become even more rare than they already are in no time

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea that Vita SD card adapter even existed!

Also, I own a standard launch OLED Vita, but I REEEEAALLY want to import one of those green slim Vitas.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I had no idea that Vita SD card adapter even existed!

Also, I own a standard launch OLED Vita, but I REEEEAALLY want to import one of those green slim Vitas.

There's technically two kinds. The more common SD2Vita adapter that you can easily order on ebay, and the more specialized PSVSD.

The difference is that the SD2Vita is used via an adapter that will work through the game card slot (upon installing a special driver):

SD2VITA-PSVSD-Pro-V50-Adapter-For-PS-Vita.jpg

And the PSVSD requires you to own a 3G Vita, open it up and physically replace the 3G modem with the PSVSD PCB. It, of course, also requires a driver:

dNmDEo3.jpg

The main advantage of the PSVSD over the SD2Vita, is that it allows you to use microSD cards without taking up the game card slot. Therefore allowing you to make backups to your microSD card on the same system, and free it up for other uses. Like, perhaps, having a dedicated SD2Vita for PSP games.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Did people really turn on the OLED screen? The thing is beautiful, IMO. I never want to get rid of my 1k Vita.

ArcLyte

Nov 1, 2017
The 2k is a lot lighter and nicer to hold than the 1k. For the display, you won't even notice the difference once you're playing the 2000.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
There's technically two kinds. The more common SD2Vita adapter that you can easily order on ebay, and the more specialized PSVSD.

The difference is that the SD2Vita is used via an adapter that will work through the game card slot (upon installing a special driver):

SD2VITA-PSVSD-Pro-V50-Adapter-For-PS-Vita.jpg

And the PSVSD requires you to own a 3G Vita, open it up and physically replace the 3G modem with the PSVSD PCB. It, of course, also requires a driver:

dNmDEo3.jpg

The main advantage of the PSVSD over the SD2Vita, is that it allows you to use microSD cards without taking up the game card slot. Therefore allowing you to make backups to your microSD card on the same system, and free it up for other uses. Like, perhaps, having a dedicated SD2Vita for PSP games.

Yeah I may end up doing the game card version (since I have a WiFi Vita). Looks pretty easy and since I rarely touch my Vita anymore I don't mind hacking it.

I also had no idea PSTVs spiked up in value. I bought one for $20 and it basically acts as a Lumines: Electonic Symphony player for my game room TV.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Ooooo I know the allure of the white Vita. I dropped way too much money when I bought my second one, the White Assassins Creed bundle one. It was worth every penny. It was my main unit for the longest time, but I recently retired it roughly 5 months ago or so when I bought a friends 3G vita, making that my second 3G one, after my launch day purchase. The 2k ones come in such beautiful colors, so yea, save up and get the one you want, because like you said they will become even more rare than they already are in no time

Well you certainly pushed me more into buying one now :P The other thing with me is, I also never had a "special edition" hardware of any handheld or console before as I'm often an early-buyer and these fancy colors always come later. I was supposed to have a Crisis Core PSP Slim but GameStop screwed me out of this one kinda too so yeah the white Vita has extra appeal. I'm curious though, why did you go back to a 3G model, is the OLED that good for you?

Did people really turn on the OLED screen? The thing is beautiful, IMO. I never want to get rid of my 1k Vita.

I didn't turn on it at all but now that I enjoyed it since 2012 I want something that I can still enjoy in 2030 and beyond and with the degradation that these OLEDs have along with the propriety charging-cable that's not a given. I often still play with my old handhelds and consoles.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have experience with import-taxes ordering a Vita from Japan?`I'm in Germany and want to know if I'll be getting charged extra or not, it seems to be luck of the draw whenever I order something from there.

Deadceptor

Oct 26, 2017
Here's a screen comparison between my three Vita's. Order from top to bottom:

My launch day 3G OLED, played hundreds of hours with it.
WiFi OLED that has been the first owner's (who bought it as new in 2015) sole P4G machine with 25 charge cycles according to PSVident.
Slim model with little to no use, only 6 charge cycles according to PSVident.

This was the brightness used in the above pic but as you can see the Slim is way too dim, so I had to raise it about 3 clicks to match the OLEDs in the next pictures (btw I'm using vitabright plugin with the same config in all). Also I've done the color space and RGB range registry hack on the Slim.

As you can see there's not a huge amount of color degradation in my heavily used 3G compared to the newer one. The only major difference is that the 3G model has always had a warm tone and we can thank panel lottery for that. One minor difference is that the newer one is indeed a bit brighter and that's probably age/usage related. On the other hand the Slim has this ugly yellow tint and the colors are generally very dull as expected from a LCD compared to an OLED. Reds and blues are also over-saturated and blacks crushed due to the display's registry hack.

So I wouldn't worry about Vita's OLED screens dying in the next ten years or more.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Keep it and buy another 2k Vita. Is what I want to do but it's hard to find one new... :\
I will get it used sooner or later probably...

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
My Japanese Slim arrived and honestly it's a gorgeous device! :D

EHZkUuYXkAIcIax.jpg:large

It's still in peak condition too aside from some scratches on the back and even though I had to pay import-taxes it still ended up way cheaper than buying this color-variant locally. Having it fully set-up now it feels like an upgrade in every way compared to my 1000, it's so much nicer to hold and the microUSB charging alone makes it worth it but well it's an upgrade in every way but one. The screen does feel like a noticeable downgrade, I mean I can live with it but even with the ever so slight degradation my OLED has it still blows the 2000 LCD out of the water by a way bigger margin than I expected to the point where I wish someone would have done some screen-mods for the 2000.

Overall though I still think I made the right choice in terms of longevity and usability but it doesn't help that the screen has a super warm tint either. Downgrading it to 3.60 and moving over my SD2Vita was also pretty painless aside from a few small hiccups but for whatever reason all screenshots I ever took on the 1000 evaporated which isn't a big deal but still I wonder what happened o.o

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
If it matters, OP seemingly got perm'd, but I guess this thread might be good for general Vita discussion.

JediEagle

Oct 17, 2018
Slovenia
My Japanese Slim arrived and honestly it's a gorgeous device! :D

EHZkUuYXkAIcIax.jpg:large

It's still in peak condition too aside from some scratches on the back and even though I had to pay import-taxes it still ended up way cheaper than buying this color-variant locally. Having it fully set-up now it feels like an upgrade in every way compared to my 1000, it's so much nicer to hold and the microUSB charging alone makes it worth it but well it's an upgrade in every way but one. The screen does feel like a noticeable downgrade, I mean I can live with it but even with the ever so slight degradation my OLED has it still blows the 2000 LCD out of the water by a way bigger margin than I expected to the point where I wish someone would have done some screen-mods for the 2000.

Overall though I still think I made the right choice in terms of longevity and usability but it doesn't help that the screen has a super warm tint either. Downgrading it to 3.60 and moving over my SD2Vita was also pretty painless aside from a few small hiccups but for whatever reason all screenshots I ever took on the 1000 evaporated which isn't a big deal but still I wonder what happened o.o
How much was it? I am thinking of getting a second Vita :D