• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
BladeoftheImmortal
Oct 27, 2017
You will regret it when the one you have breaks and the price for a replacement is double what you would pay now. Like it or not vita prices will go up because it's a niche handheld. It's not like ds where you can find one at a flea market for 20$.
True. But by the time one breaks. Hopefully there's something around that can emulate the Vita. It's why I don't really care to own GameCube or Gameboy advance hardware because my PC and Vita work just fine for them

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the same boat honestly, if I get any used Vita 2000 on eBay now, will it be easy to get it to 3.60 Enso so I can replicate the SD2Vita setup I currently have on my OLED?

Jan 2, 2018
I would do it OP. Me personally,I bought a second 2000 model imported from Japan in case my 1000 dies on me.
1000 still works great, but the 2000 is just better in terms of ergonomics, weight and buttons (the bumpers are much improved especially).

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
the vita 2000 is more future proof with micro usb and and led over oled panel that will degrade over time

This is ultimately why I went with the 2000. Being able to charge it most anywhere is very important for me. The memory card is already proprietary. Don't want to deal with even more.

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
The Vita 2K tromps all over that nasty OLED version. Oversaturated colors and horrid mura do not make a good screen for video games, despite what the casuals think.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Slim all the way. I have both and vastly prefer it.

Smaller, lighter, easier to use, better battery (easier to replace too). Only thing I prefer on the phat is the screen.

Chas Hodges

Nov 7, 2017
Both are as hackable as each other on the right firmwares. Both support SD2VITA in the game slot. Screen is a personal preference. Battery life isn't that different between the two. I own both, but only so I have a backup in case my OG 1000 breaks.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Do japanese people have a reputation for selling good condition vita 2000s?
I would of thought the quality would vary regardless of the country.

I don't want to stereotype, necessarily, but I'd trust a random Japanese used video game or console 10x more than one from the US, most of the time. I've had lots of great experiences ordering used import games and consoles on eBay.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
I've had both 1K and 2K side by side and the 1K screen is just superior, 2k screen looks like a cheap toy next to it. I only use my Vita for remote play at home, so I don't care about any other consideration. Downscaled PS4 games on that screen look absurdly good.

Last edited:

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
The improvement on the 2000 over the 1000 isn't worth the trouble, I'd just stick with the OG. That's what I did anyway.

Deadceptor

Oct 26, 2017
Bought a second OLED last week as a backup for my launch day 3G model. I have never even considered the 2k model because it's too slim for my hands (get similar aches like playing with NES/SNES controller) and the LCD is a serious downgrade compared to OLED. Colors are washed out and then again way too saturated with the registry hack (you lose many different nuances especially if there are different shades of red next to each other).

IMO the proprietary charger and battery life are very trivial points when choosing between 1k and 2k Vita, I'd say it all comes down to the screen and size. If you're comfortable handling the 1k then it's madness to go for a slim.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
The OLED display on the original Vita is fantastic, but that's essentially its sole selling point. The LCD Vita ditches the glossy (fingerprint magnet) finish for soft-touch plastic, a more comfortable grip, better battery life (ranging from 2-4 hours more, in my experience), and trades out the proprietary charging cable for micro USB.

I wouldn't say trade your old Vita out, especially if it's still in working order, but as someone who's owned both, the LCD model is my favorite of the two. Plus, it's bright blue! That's way better than the stark black finish.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Once again - the 2K's screen looks a looot better with a modded system. I really don't understand why Sony limited the colorspace on it. It's a night and day difference.

XBlade

Oct 26, 2017
After a serious case of mura and a dead/stuck pixel, I traded my 1000 model as soon as the 2000 was available. Was just unfortunate experiece with the 1000 model for me (I had 2 of them). The 2000, besides have a lesser screen been great ever since i got it.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Go for the Slim, moving away from the proprietary cable from the OLED is reason enough.

1368.jpg

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the bump but I seriously think of grabbing a 2000, I guess if I can get one for 140€ used now I might aswell seeing that every firmware can be hacked right? How trivial would it be to move my SD2Vita and Henkaku Enso over to the 2000?

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say don't sell the 1k, but still get the 2k.

I have 3 Vitas, though they are all 1k. One is on like 3.2, and I plan on hacking it, but I'm lazy. I do want to get a 2k though, and I know time Ian running out on getting one at a decent price.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say don't sell the 1k, but still get the 2k.

I have 3 Vitas, though they are all 1k. One is on like 3.2, and I plan on hacking it, but I'm lazy. I do want to get a 2k though, and I know time Ian running out on getting one at a decent price.

Yeah I don't plan to sell the 1k but that makes the 100-150€ price-tag hard to swallow for "something I essentially have but know will eventually break" :/

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Ebay. Used Japanese units are cheap and almost always in pristine condition.
Speaking from a Japanese vita 2000 owner and one thing to really consider before buying a Japanese one(that annoys the hell out of me) is that the X and O buttons are natively swapped so at the vitaOS menu you'll be pressing the wrong buttons every time until you get in a game. It will then revert to traditional controls depending on the region. Last time I checked, you can't change the button assignments on the PSVita either like PS4. Pretty much regretting my purchase since.

From a compatibility and futureproof standpoint with microusb which is still pretty poular nowadays, and smaller form factor, i'd say 2000. I can't speak for the 1000 but i have been tempted to get one based off the screen alone. I seen it in a few stores and it looks pretty beautiful.

Last edited:

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Speaking from a Japanese vita 2000 owner and one thing to really consider before buying a Japanese one(that annoys the hell out of me) is that the X and O buttons are natively swapped so at the vitaOS menu you'll be pressing the wrong buttons every time until you get in a game. It will then revert to traditional controls depending on the region. Last time I checked, you can't change the button assignments on the PSVita either like PS4. Pretty much regretting my purchase since.

It's a non-issue if you have a hacked Vita, which you should at this point. You can change the button mapping for the system menus.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
I remember when people kept saying "dat OLED" about everything coming to Vita.

I haven't tried the revision but the OLED is like one of the very few things I like about the Vita, and I seriously doubt an LCD panel could compare.

yep. it's weird hearing some people saying there's one that could. sorry, folks...

T0M

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 13, 2019
Anyone know a good place to find a Vita 2K battery? Mine lost its ability to charge, so it's time for a replacement.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not giving up my OLED Vita.

How long is it honestly going to take for that to happen, especially if it isn't being used all of the time?

Well that's what I'm pretty unsure about, my Vita is almost 8 years old and from my understanding the Vita OLED tech still wasn't as reliable as the one used in today's LG TVs for example.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I had an NA launch Vita 1k that I've poured thousands of hours into, and recently I got a JP 3G Vita that was very, very lightly used. While you might not notice its degradation, it is very much real. The 3G Vita's screen was like a night and day difference.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I had an NA launch Vita 1k that I've poured thousands of hours into, and recently I got a JP 3G Vita that was very, very lightly used. While you might not notice its degradation, it is very much real. The 3G Vita's screen was like a night and day difference.

That's what I'm afraid of, I can already see a slight tint whenever my Vita displays something overly white that I'm sure wasn't always there.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
That's what I'm afraid of, I can already see a slight tint whenever my Vita displays something overly white that I'm sure wasn't always there.

Let me put it this way - for a while I was arguing that the RGB+Colorspace modded LCD screen was just as good as the OLED screen. While I do still think it's a decent substitute, I haven't said it was as good as the OLED since seeing the 3G Vita's screen.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Let me put it this way - for a while I was arguing that the RGB+Colorspace modded LCD screen was just as good as the OLED screen. While I do still think it's a decent substitute, I haven't said it was as good as the OLED since seeing the 3G Vita's screen.

Oh I'm aware that I'll be giving up that sweet OLED quality long-term but ultimately I want something that I can still enjoy in 2029 like I can still do with my other consoles and handhelds plus it's not like I'll sell my OLED.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I don't plan to sell the 1k but that makes the 100-150€ price-tag hard to swallow for "something I essentially have but know will eventually break" :/
Totally understandable. Keep your eyes peeled and you'll likely find a bargain somewhere. But if ya gotta sell it, then go right on ahead, just make sure you sell it for a decent price. Don't settle for a price you aren't comfortable with. It will sell, someone will want it for sure.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Totally understandable. Keep your eyes peeled and you'll likely find a bargain somewhere. But if ya gotta sell it, then go right on ahead, just make sure you sell it for a decent price. Don't settle for a price you aren't comfortable with. It will sell, someone will want it for sure.

Yeah that's something I would worry about once I have the 2000. The thing is I could get a basic black Vita 2000 for about 60-80€ in a local pawn-shop but these sweet Japanese white units tempt me ever so much and I'm sure these will get super rare super quick now that everything is out of production.