• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Damn that's a little disappointing, I guess Kos-mos is stuck in cameo hell a little longer.

To anyone who played the trilogy: was there any room for a sequel? I have vague ideas over how the story ended, but I'm not aware of the finer details, and I heard they had to cram a few games' worth of plot in the third one.

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017
They're real and they're spectacular.

XS5LK.gif

Vivi

Nov 10, 2017
Such sad news but I think they severely underestimated Xeno fans and JRPG/PS2 era fans. No joke I know people that would have bought this collection 3 times just for extra copies.

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
Does Sony not do the emulated PS2 games on PS4 anymore?
There were a couple of games on there that were just upscaled to 1080p and sold again on PS4, though they would probably have to include trophies.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I hold out replaying the games ever since Harada tweeted about potential Xenosaga remasters. Thanks for nothing I guess.

Since he wanted Monolithsofts involvement, therefore Nintendos. It's not a surprise that the market evaluation was negative. Namco and especially Harada seems to be very cautious when it comes to supporting Nintendo systems, with their own big IPs, especially for Switch and IPs where Harada is more hands on for some odd reason. Soul Calibur and Tekken should have been on Switch by now.
What are you talking about, Harada has been trying to drum up interest for Xenosaga remaster since 2014. Why make it about the Switch?

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
This is the Tabata era, things like traditional JRPGs from PS2 era are not profitable today.

Roliq

ā–² Legend ā–²
Sep 23, 2018
The thing is, I always saw most of this as symbolism of KOS-MOS's power coming from her sacred femininity. X-buster, for example, looks like it's coming from her womb.

It didn't bother me at all in this game compared to Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Dude no offense, but it reminds me of this

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Such a shame to hear. But unless they redo all the battles to be one style (like 3, which was the most polished and fun), it would be kind of a mess to play.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
The thing is, I always saw most of this as symbolism of KOS-MOS's power coming from her sacred femininity. X-buster, for example, looks like it's coming from her womb.

It didn't bother me at all in this game compared to Xenoblade Chronicles 2.
Fanservice that tries to justify itself is actively worse than it being there just because.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well I just did my own market analysis and determined fuck the market, Kosmos deserved better. :(

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Square Enix don't have much interest in Xenogears either. Not to the point of doing a modern port.

I'd vouch to disagree on that. Xenogears is the only dormant intellectual property from Square Enix with dedicated Bring Arts Kai figures, the Xenogears cast have been featured in Final Fantasy Brave Exvius and the Xenogears mech is a secret boss in World of Final Fantasy.

They've spent cash on maintaining relevance for the franchise even if it's not a direct port, remaster or remakes. The same can't really be said for Bandai Namco. KOS-MOS being in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 seems to be Monolith Soft getting Bandai Namco's permission to use her.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
This sucks, I've been waiting for a remaster for a long time.
Never played Saga, but Xenogears is a masterpiece and it's a shame that these four never got re-release of any sort.

Oct 27, 2017
Well uhhhh...there you have it!

Given the fervor for Xenosaga and the point about Europe finally being able to get it that it failed the money test is strange but a shame.

Maybe Harada will bring some good news about Project X Zone 3 when he talks to his folks on his lunch break.

I'll wait patiently for those 1+2, Reloaded & Freaks translation projects that have cropped up over the years and maybe somebody might just liberate Pied Piper off a Japanese flip phone.

Series won't be forgotten as long as KOS-MOS makes her 5 crossover appearances a year per her contract!

Oct 3, 2019
Honestly episodes 1 and 2 (especially 2) really don't hold up in the gameplay department, I can imagine most Xenoblade fans who might be interested bouncing off hella hard.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
These games didn't age well at all. The first one has awful cutscenes some lasting over 30 minutes. The second is downright dreadful with battles taking forever and more awful cutscenes. The third one is probably the best because they've changed the combat for the 3rd time but the story is a gigantic disaster. I replayed them last year and I think lot of people have rose tinted glasses about them. It would probably require a decent amount of money only to make them look decent in HD. Even on an emulator they are a bit glitchy to run in HD.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I'd vouch to disagree on that. Xenogears is the only dormant intellectual property from Square Enix with dedicated Bring Arts Kai figures, the Xenogears cast have been featured in Final Fantasy Brave Exvius and the Xenogears mech is a secret boss in World of Final Fantasy.

They've spent cash on maintaining relevance for the franchise even if it's not a direct port, remaster or remakes. The same can't really be said for Bandai Namco. KOS-MOS being in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 seems to be Monolith Soft getting Bandai Namco's permission to use her.
Where do you want them to put KOS-MOS? In Dragon Ball?

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember falling asleep trying to get through the first few hours of episode 1. Can't say this news really bothers me but I'm sad for the people who enjoyed it.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly episodes 1 and 2 (especially 2) really don't hold up in the gameplay department, I can imagine most Xenoblade fans who might be interested bouncing off hella hard.
I mean....both games play very differently. Just because you like one xeno, doesn't mean you'd be game for another. As personally, i find the gameplay in blades shitty, but enjoy saga.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
But isn't that what a marketing department is for? to promote a game to a larger audience.

I think for this situation, the marketing analysis projection probably wasn't good enough for the amount of money and resources they had to invest in to make it worthwhile for the company. Remastering all the games might've been expensive.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
This is quite sad honestly, but I imagine most who really care for the series already own it. I suppose i'll just have to be satisfied with playing my og PS2 disks in an emulator.

May 13, 2019
These games didn't age well at all. The first one has awful cutscenes some lasting over 30 minutes. The second is downright dreadful with battles taking forever and more awful cutscenes. The third one is probably the best because they've changed the combat for the 3rd time but the story is a gigantic disaster. I replayed them last year and I think lot of people have rose tinted glasses about them. It would probably require a decent amount of money only to make them look decent in HD. Even on an emulator they are a bit glitchy to run in HD.
In the forum I used to frequent they nicknamed Xenosaga "cutscene hell". Pretty damn accurate, all things considered.