• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Assimilate doesn't even make sense. US culture is litterally a patchwork of all the cultures that moved here with the original culture shoved into little pockets.

May 21, 2018
I hope people grow out of the naivety that makes them assume that if a cold, heartless person sees the terrible things some people suffer through or have the same suffering happen to them that they will finally understand how the victims feel and start to empathize. They won't. They will simply feel like they are being victimized unfairly and will selfishly ask that they themselves be saved, but still screw the rest. That fundamental empathic connection needed to attribute the suffering they feel as being the same as the plight of others and the camaraderie they should experience never happens. They are incapable of it.

Sociopaths/psychopaths lack that basic capacity for empathy. Asking them to feel that basic spark of compassion is asking for an impossibility.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Assimilate doesn't even make sense. US culture is litterally a patchwork of all the cultures that moved here with the original culture shoved into little pockets.
i absolutely hate anyone that thinks people that immigrate here need to assimilate when we have all the little italies etc all around the country its absolute bullshit. i think some white americans have lost what it means to be american because they chose to just be only white, and not irish-america, italian-american etc, having to change their names to be less ethnic sounding etc assimilation is bullshit and removes a core thing that america should be is diverse, diversity strengthens countries just as diversity strengthens life.

gonna assume she has no problems with "Little Italy" though

or eating at any of those establishments.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Weirdly she chose to say Little Havana, considering that old Cubans are some of the most staunchest conservatives around. My experience as a fresh Cuban immigrant back in the 90's in Little Havana was that it was full of old Cubans...

When it comes to racists there are no "good" non whites. I guess smart piece of shit racists can order them in line of most convenient to be used, but this dumb ass piece of shit married dumb ass piece of shit racists Stephen Miller. He's the underside of the bottom of the barrel.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I mean you can at once feel compassion and empathy, but also recognize the need to take a hardline at the border.
I'm what you would call a hardliner, I believe in strict borders but I still feel bad for the desperate people
So what you're saying is "I feel bad for those refugee kids but fuck them because their parents forced them to flee their country and seek help" got it.

source.gif

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I also don't really understand the "DHS sent me" part as if they have any compassion to show

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Not that I would ever believe that people in the adminstration would ever care but it's disturbing how she doesn't even try to feign any humanity. Though that shouldn't be surprising since she's married to Stephen Miller.

moeman

Oct 25, 2017
Soboroff wrote: "'It didn't work? I will never forget what I saw. Seriously. Are you a white nationalist?' I asked, exasperated."

Miller responded: "Yes, and I believe if you come to America you should assimilate. Why do we need to have 'Little Havana'?"

Works with the word substitution 🤔

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
I mean you can at once feel compassion and empathy, but also recognize the need to take a hardline at the border.

I'm what you would call a hardliner, I believe in strict borders but I still feel bad for the desperate people

being ok with taking kids away from their parents in families that are seeking asylum doesn't make someone a hardliner

it just makes them a shitty excuse for a human being

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I'm convinced we're going to find a mass grave out in the desert someday after this election... So many people who've gone missing at the border, so many people in charge of DHS, ICE, etc who are all very anti immigrants (especially Mexican or South American in origin).

These people are psychopaths, and I put another nothing outside the realm of what they'd be willing to do.

bbmcgee

Banned
Jun 23, 2020
User banned (permanent): troll account
being ok with taking kids away from their parents in families that are seeking asylum doesn't make someone a hardliner

it just makes them a shitty excuse for a human being

You need to consider the reality of it though. A lot of these people are not really asylum seekers, they are looking for economic opportunity. If it was truly about safety and asylum many could stop in Mexico for example.

And secondly, we take kids away from parents all the time if laws are violated. I don't understand why its somehow unacceptable if it's foreigners at the border.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
You need to consider the reality of it though. A lot of these people are not really asylum seekers, they are looking for economic opportunity. If it was truly about safety and asylum many could stop in Mexico for example.

And secondly, we take kids away from parents all the time if laws are violated. I don't understand why its somehow unacceptable if it's foreigners at the border.
Safety includes being able to financially take care of their family, yes.

Also in what world do we take kids from families except under the most extreme situations. The crime they committed was seeking asylum, which isn't a crime... So why are we separating them.

Not sure why I'm bothering with someone's alt hiding account.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017

Bye bye.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017

as soon as you come to reality and not bullshit conservative talking points, let me know

deep down you are supporting horrendous shit. maybe time to face yourself about why

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
I was at UF at the same time she was and while I didn't know her personally, I knew about her thanks to her being a prominent member of student government and an infamous incident in which she stole hundreds of copies of the schools newspaper. She was garbage way before she met Miller.

The Little Havana comment did surprise me though, because even Republicans in FL steer clear of remarks like that toward Cubans.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Which is still frickin' high for U.S. minorities.

no minority is a monolith, but nevertheless every group has a history and a reason to vote reliably one way, or to be fragmented in some way. Attitudes within a group can also change over time. The whole "Cubans vote Republican" thing is a really lazy read of the community.

Also for what it's worth, Little Havana's district, of all places, voted a non-Cuban Democrat in the last election.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017

You don't know anything

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
The excerpt Maddow published on the show quoted Miller as telling Soboroff: "My family and colleagues told me that when I have kids I'll think about the separations differently. But I don't think so ... DHS sent me to the border to see the separations for myself — to try to make me more compassionate — but it didn't work."
I hope her womb is barren as fuck.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I shudder to think what her and Stephen consider foreplay.

"Oh, tell me again about how much you love tearing crying children from their mother's at the border...."
"Mmmm, I just love it when you talk down to minorities and promote white nationalism..."

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
no minority is a monolith, but nevertheless every group has a history and a reason to vote reliably one way, or to be fragmented in some way. Attitudes within a group can also change over time. The whole "Cubans vote Republican" thing is a really lazy read of the community.

Also for what it's worth, Little Havana's district, of all places, voted a non-Cuban Democrat in the last election.

Oh I know. I was purely citing the statistics.