• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Katie Chironis is a senior game & narrative designer at Riot Games

While Riot games still has a lot more that they could be doing (as even the tweet states), but it is good to see that progress is being made.

Though Tencent being over them will still always be there.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
They seem to be taking steps in the right direction. Unlike Blizzard.............

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I don't know. Runeterra looks great, and if this was any other company, I'd play it. But Riot...eh. They still have the 'farts in people's faces' guy employed there. I really don't feel right giving their games a chance.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that was great to see on Twitter the other day. Between that and the Kotaku followup which says huge progress has been made on the sexism side, it's a great sign. I have no doubts there's still plenty of problems and systemic issues there, but it seems like big steps are being taken in the right direction and hopefully it's leading to a better culture for diversity and inclusion within the studio.

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Ah yes, when even positive change is not enough
More like, Ah yes, when a LOT more positive change is still needed. Why are you so rustled up? My morals make me feel uncomfortable using the products of a company with a heavy history of misogyny and abuse. I'm not judging others. Maybe this change is enough for you. Good for you.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Ah yes, when even positive change is not enough
Okay, yes it's great that they are being more diversity , but when you still have sexual harassers there, it's akin to putting more chickens in the coup to solve the problem of the fox getting in before removing the chicken eating fox. You need to remove the fox or you just end up with even more dead chickens.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

original.gif

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
More like, Ah yes, when a LOT more positive change is still needed. Why are you so rustled up? My morals make me feel uncomfortable using the products of a company with a heavy history of misogyny and abuse. I'm not judging others. Maybe this change is enough for you. Good for you.
Honestly I think I am on the same page.

Positive discrimination is a thing. This sounds like patching up holes, covering up the dam, but the dam itself is still shoddy foundation.

I mean it is great more poc and women, but don't be fooled by this patching!

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I think I am on the same page.

Positive discrimination is a thing. This sounds like patching up holes, covering up the dam, but the dam itself is still shoddy foundation.

I mean it is great more poc and women, but don't be fooled by this patching!

The employees themselves have said that while they still have way more to go, they're making progress..

kotaku.com

Riot Employees Say Company Has Made Real Progress Fixing Its Sexism Issues

In the year since Kotaku’s investigation into sexism at Riot Games, the 2,500-person company behind League of Legends, the company has crafted and self-injected its proposed antidote to its so-called “bro culture.”

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like it's not the case for the fighting game?
It'll be interesting to see how it is when all those games are past the prototype/small team stage.

Do you work at Riot? Wondering given your tags and messages.

Yep, Riot pays me exactly $0 USD a year to

*checks notes*

Be happy they are actually making tangible progress on

*checks notes*

a gaming forum.

Any more questions about my employment? Will you ask me if I work for Kotaku as well? How about 343? Maybe if Blizzard cleans their shit up, will you ask me if I work there too?

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
This is great news! The less white men in leading roles at games studios the better; we want some diversity in a stagnant medium.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Giant Bomb had someone from Riot on during their E3 stream that I would like to hear from... I can't remember her name, but she said at the time that the company was trying to make improvements and she wanted to see what that progress lead to. I think she was a representative or president of an organization pushing for the unionization of game development.

I want to see Riot improve and move on from their past issues as someone who has been deeply into League for 10 years.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Remember when I said that Riot was going to have to spend a lot of money on counciling partnerships ensuring that people know that they are cleaning up their image and people were like, "naw naw naw, its' fine everyone will forget, it's fine".

I was right, they still need to do a lot to convince people that they are not the Antonio Brown of video games.

Sounds like it's not the case for the fighting game?

...that's being helmed by the Canon brothers.

They seem to be taking steps in the right direction. Unlike Blizzard.............

I mean, they're owned by Tencent.

Don't let the fact that they haven't had an international incident distract you from the fact that if there were HK protests during pro League play, they would do the exact same thing.

Honestly, the Tencent implications have the possibility of being WAY MORE DAMNING than anything Blizzard has pulled. I feel like we're 2 big Chinese exposees away from being able to link Tencents technological and entertainment arms with actual human trafficking.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019

*checks notes*

*checks notes*

a gaming forum.

Any more questions about my employment? Will you ask me if I work for Kotaku as well? How about 343? Maybe if Blizzard cleans their shit up, will you ask me if I work there too?
Calm down, it was just a simple question.
I wasn't being aggressive, there's nothing in your tag saying where you work, and it's weird seeing someone saying they're "very proud of" this with that tag.

Deleted member 17658

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
got excited seeing one of the Canon brothers. Completely forgot they're working on the fighting game. Wonder if their the first black devs in that company...

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when I said that Riot was going to have to spend a lot of money on counciling partnerships ensuring that people know that they are cleaning up their image and people were like, "naw naw naw, its' fine everyone will forget, it's fine".

I was right, they still need to do a lot to convince people that they are not the Antonio Brown of video games.

...that's being helmed by the Canon brothers.

I mean, they're owned by Tencent.

Don't let the fact that they haven't had an international incident distract you from the fact that if there were HK protests during pro League play, they would do the exact same thing.

Honestly, the Tencent implications have the possibility of being WAY MORE DAMNING than anything Blizzard has pulled. I feel like we're 2 big Chinese exposees away from being able to link Tencents technological and entertainment arms with actual human trafficking.

Tencent through WeChat is a key participant in the monitoring and oppression of China's Uyghur population.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Tencent through WeChat is a key participant in the monitoring and oppression of China's Uyghur population.

Yup. But even then, much like amazon initially taking contracts from the US government for AI facial recognition and military usage of said AI before backing out after public disapproval, the intent to fund genocide using global entertainment is something that has to be proven before the links can officially be made.

But like I said, I feel like those links are going to be made any day now. Like, by next week soon.

And then we'll see where Riot's really at.

Edit: https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...opean-citizens-over-xinjiang-protests.147655/

Annnnnnnnnnny day now.

Last edited:

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

*checks notes*

*checks notes*

a gaming forum.

Eh. Calm down a bit dude.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting this always some of the first thoughts people think of. Care to site examples where women and POCs were given hands on positions for PR and was unqualified for them?

The premise also tends to be silly because building a team isn't a spreadsheet where you can see people's stats and put together the strongest pieces to have success. People's personalities, strengths/weaknesses, etc. are important. Having a diverse set of perspectives tends to lead to a lot of good as different people bring different things to the table. The more perspectives you can have look at things the better. So trying to measure "talent" is a silly idea and it's much more about building a successful team and considering that person's specific strengths, weaknesses and being a good fit for the team's dynamic.