• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
Broom. Boy. Very consistent with The Clone Wars' depiction of force-using children rising up from non-force-using parents anywhere in the galaxy.

All the Palpatine blah blah is retcon shit wedged into the third movie of the trilogy, to soothe fanboys who bitched about Rey's rock-moving power at the end of TLJ, because to have that much Force power you HAVE to be related to one of the existing powerful characters. Otherwise, "She's a Mary Sue."

It's as if the dichotomy between fascism and antifa are captured in the self-argument within this trilogy.

The Last Jedi refuses to venerate all these powerful figures from the Past, instead strips them of their public perceptions as legends and reveals them as people, vulnerable, fallible, sometimes wrong, often followed by others to the point of folly. The spooky pseudo-Palpatine is a paper tiger, struck down by Rey and Kylo in a mutual moment of escaping the Past. But then there is a dichotomy, between Kylo the fascist--borne from the lineage of Power in The Force and aggravated by his sense of entitlement to that power--and Rey the Antifa--borne from nobody, from the People, from the rabble who drink and mistreat their children and suffer as those with Power rampage across the galaxy in their quest for... more power.

The Rise of Skywalker venerates these powerful figures from the Past so much that all things flow from them whether we know it or not. It checks off the pro-fascism argument of depicting an improbable, threatening foreign fleet from foreign lands just perched and ready to invade. Exegol and the Outer Rims now has great threat and population of armies of Sith, somehow. TROS takes the representative of the People, empowered mysteriously by the rise of The Force is answer to the rise of the Dark Side, free to make her own name and legacy... and makes her the inheritor of a legacy of evil power, installed in her with no agency to find or develop it herself, but just so she can serve as a vessel and carry to back to the Evil Bad Guy who Worked Before.

The very premise of TROS is a thematic pro-fascist agrument against TLJ's antifa philosophy.

In this way, I suppose the Sequel Trilogy arguing with itself over the very themes fascists trot out to start the wars they need to operate is just perfect. It is perfectly representative of the very themes and concepts the kids of this day and age are grappling with and trying to sort out.

This is one of many ways to interpret the movie, I'm really tired of people talking shit about TROS fans because most of them aren't TLJ haters or alt right asshats. You couldn't be more wrong about this opinion when it comes to how I view the movie so maybe just chill. Not everyone lives online and cared about the arguments Stans got into and drew lines between the films, a lot of people like all three and have no major issues. This is super reductive.

They're goofy space movies not culture war propaganda, get this rot out of your brains everyone, TROS TLJ people have created more fiction about the meaning of these movies than the movies themselves even have.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Either go far, far into the future or far into the past. Anything that lets me pretend the sequel Trilogy never happened. Sequel era is just so fucking bad. It's pretty much killed my interest in the entire franchise.

It's a completely creatively bankrupt rehash, with no world building, and it makes the entire galaxy feel smaller than Rhode Island. It's just terrible.

I do really like Taika's stuff though, so hopefully he's able to make something good.

I still can't get over how disappointed I was after seeing TFA opening weekend. So many possibilities for a post-RotJ galaxy, and they have to just set everything back to how it was so they can rehash everything for the cheapest attempts at mining nostalgia I've ever seen. The entire political and logistical setup makes zero sense, and I could not have possibly rolled my eyes harder than when they brought out yet another Deathstar. I don't know if anyone involved even knows what world-building is. I've genuinely struggled to get excited for anything Star Wars since then. Even Mandalorian, which I like, I'm just kinda "meh" about the new season. I'll get to it eventually, but I feel zero hype for it.

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
They really need to forget about the sequel era. There's nothing to build upon there.
I think they keep pushing it because the Disney World Star Wars land is based on the sequels. Even that new expensive Disney Star Wars resort that doesn't have real windows is set in sequel territory with Rey and Kylo Ren actors traipsing across it. Gotta justify those mutli-million/billion expenditures somehow and keep people going to those locations.

Hoping the plotting fails for it all.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is one of many ways to interpret the movie, I'm really tired of people talking shit about TROS fans because most of them aren't TLJ haters or alt right asshats. You couldn't be more wrong about this opinion when it comes to how I view the movie so maybe just chill. Not everyone lives online and cared about the arguments Stans got into and drew lines between the films, a lot of people like all three and have no major issues. This is super reductive.

They're goofy space movies not culture war propaganda, get this rot out of your brains everyone, TROS TLJ people have created more fiction about the meaning of these movies than the movies themselves even have.
Yup, exactly. Plus I don't know how people think the alt right fans who hated TLJ like TROS? Yhey hated both if not all 3.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, exactly. Plus I don't know how people think the alt right fans who hated TLJ like TROS? Yhey hated both if not all 3.

Everyone convienantly forgot that the guy who made TROS also made TFA who has the characters they love, and that TFA was ALSO hated by these people. However because these fucks were awful to KMT they created this insane fiction about how TLJ is the bastion of the left and is the ultimate SW movie and TROS is an evil rug pull on it which makes fuck all sense

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
If I was running Lucasfilm I would visit these video game studios developing out these dozen Star Wars games in different settings and steal artists writers and creatives to design a new movie universe. And then steal the other half to create Star Wars Game of Thrones prestige tv universe in a different time period

in other words, hire fans lol

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like the sequels but I don't really have a problem with movies being set in that time period if they have a good story to tell. I do find it interesting that they aren't milking the shit out of the old republic though, I feel like there's such a wealth of possible material there.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

TROS has fans???

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, that sounds good in theory. In practice, I don't trust Disney at all to produce a film that's as good as A New Hope. Because that kind of strong foundation is needed to anchor a new path and new story that doesn't lean heavily on the Lucas world and characters. I just don't think Disney has the artistic focus to do so and don't think they were the right company that could allow Star Wars to flourish. But, good luck I guess.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017

A lot of them tbh they just don't spend their time online talking about SW which btw with the case for most franchises, the average person doesn't engage with this stuff the same way. I think that movie rules as messy as it is, same with TLJ and the entire ST. Y'all sound like the adults who were salty about the PT.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of them tbh they just don't spend their time online talking about SW which btw with the case for most franchises, the average person doesn't engage with this stuff the same way. I think that movie rules as messy as it is, same with TLJ and the entire ST. Y'all sound like the adults who were salty about the PT.

ding ding ding

Super fans (of which I am one) will never have enough self awareness to realize this sadly. It's the ultimate echo chamber. Being an executive over a franchise like SW is probably a nightmare trying to please all the different flavors of fans in addition to the casual watchers. If millennials asked their parents what they think about the ST movies they'd get a reasonable answer for how most folks feel.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017

So we're back to where I started when I came into the thread: these movies are for kids. At least, until you grow up and find they were speaking, however peripherally, to something real thematically. The Prequel Trilogy inspires "it was actually good" videos...

...now from the kids who watched it and grew to love it based on the space wizard adventure, and only now are grasping and seeing in the world around them the hidden depth in the story about the pre-arranged death of a democracy. While the adults weaned on the Original Trilogy largely scorned the prequels decrying all the "politics."

Those same, now adult, prequel fans complain about how much of the past original trilogy haunts the sequel trilogy, and how schizophrenic the sequel trilogy is arguing with itself over where power comes from, and who deserves power (and to be a space wizard).

And that's aptly fitting for the next generation of kids. The very conflict, largely online, over the nature and the message of the movies themselves reflects the generation of kids they are for.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
It's honestly amazing Finn didn't become a jedi. It was setup from TFA, Rian's entire theme was devoted to jedis coming from outside the Skywalker bloodline. Having that bookend the fight from TFA with Rey and a not-yet-jedi Finn to full on jedi Finn just makes sense. Embarrassing cohesion to the Sequel trilogies.

I think they need to leap some 400 years in the future, have technology within the SW world advance, really focus on world building and where the universe is at that point. Bring in George to consult if he would. Tie it loosely to the first 9 films, but otherwise start fresh. Find a way to pull our interest in, in a slow-building manner. None of this reliance on a cheap Palpatine, vader, skywalker, etc connection

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
So we're back to where I started when I came into the thread: these movies are for kids. At least, until you grow up and find they were speaking, however peripherally, to something real thematically. The Prequel Trilogy inspires "it was actually good" videos...

...now from the kids who watched it and grew to love it based on the space wizard adventure, and only now are grasping and seeing in the world around them the hidden depth in the story about the pre-arranged death of a democracy. While the adults weaned on the Original Trilogy largely scorned the prequels decrying all the "politics."

Those same, now adult, prequel fans complain about how much of the past original trilogy haunts the sequel trilogy, and how schizophrenic the sequel trilogy is arguing with itself over where power comes from, and who deserves power (and to be a space wizard).

And that's aptly fitting for the next generation of kids. The very conflict, largely online, over the nature and the message of the movies themselves reflects the generation of kids they are for.

Yes, however, I didnt want to get into a debate behind the themes and meaning of the films, partly because there are many other ways to look at the themes in TROS other than the reductive rewriting of TLJ that people claim it is.

Almost no one putting TLJ on a pedistal is ever willing to admit that and so I just dont bother because as a subjective medium there is no wrong answer so maybe people shouldn't be so up in arms about as you say space wizards.

Edit: adding in because I dont want this to be mistaken for any kind of rebuttal of your comment. I wholly agree and i think the cyclical nature of the ST is really fitting for both the franchise and for our time.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, however, I didnt want to get into a debate behind the themes and meaning of the films, partly because there are many other ways to look at the themes in TROS other than the reductive rewriting of TLJ that people claim it is.

Almost no one putting TLJ on a pedistal is ever willing to admit that and so I just dont bother because as a subjective medium there is no wrong answer so maybe people shouldn't be so up in arms about as you say space wizards.

Edit: adding in because I dont want this to be mistaken for any kind of rebuttal of your comment. I wholly agree and i think the cyclical nature of the ST is really fitting for both the franchise and for our time.

Thank you. "Cynical nature of the ST" is a perfect tl;dr of my rant.

And, officially, I only like the Rey/Luke/Kylo arc of The Last Jedi. The misguided farcical heist storyline running through Canto Blight and wrapping up Phasma was an embarrassment, and more than a large part of the sidelining of Finn's character.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you. "Cynical nature of the ST" is a perfect tl;dr of my rant.

And, officially, I only like the Rey/Luke/Kylo arc of The Last Jedi. The misguided farcical heist storyline running through Canto Blight and wrapping up Phasma was an embarrassment, and more than a large part of the sidelining of Finn's character.

I'm pretty out of it from my meds but I am leaving that typeo because it is hilarious in the context.

Also totally agree I thought everything with the Force weilders was awesome minus Leia being out of it I wish we had more time with her

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
There was nothing interesting in the sequel era, and I have no interest in watching shows or movies set before leading up to the events, cause once again they would lead to fuck all.

Give me Old Republic or go further beyond the sequel timeline.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So we're back to where I started when I came into the thread: these movies are for kids.

maxresdefault.jpg

061ad0fe29b3a592a931eb0da4777a111d6aa974r1-500-213_00.gif

fetchimage

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
It's a shame that the sequel trilogy did nothing to build upon the SW universe. Their canvas is pretty much blank in terms of direction, which isn't really a bad thing since they can do whatever the hell they want with it at this point.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019

You'd have to sanitize the vong hardcore to make them work in mainstream movies. As it stands they are like something out of 40k. But a properly done NJO style era could be awesome.

Have the New republic ba an actual factio ith an actual personality instead of redshirts who ide off screen. Have imperial/first order remnant be like a wild card. Redesign the Vong to be more dark elf and less Hellraiser and you've got a colld setting for some great 3 way warfare. You could easily make the vong into a pretty decent commentary of modern science denialism.

Hell, you could even have teen Grogu be one of the Jedi knights. Synergy!

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly yeah a repurposed Vong could be good. Shake up the inevitable status quo of a new New Republic and an Imperial Remanent out there fighting for control. Have a giant galactic wide war for control between the 3 factions that eventually turns into an Alliance against the Vong.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Horrific news. Void of any creativity that the PT era was known for.

Sidious clones and Star destroyers with laser beams strapped to their hull. Complete shit timeline.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait for the Sequel Sequel trilogy where the new gigantic Second Order rises up and the tiny rebel forces have to take down the Death Hole, a star sized space station that shoots black holes.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They need to make a clone wars-like show and really just dig into the sequel era with writers who can take the liberties needed to make it work

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I think they should take all the ideas in this thread and put them into one script. Boom, 3 billion.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand

You'd have to sanitize the vong hardcore to make them work in mainstream movies. As it stands they are like something out of 40k. But a properly done NJO style era could be awesome.

Have the New republic ba an actual factio ith an actual personality instead of redshirts who ide off screen. Have imperial/first order remnant be like a wild card. Redesign the Vong to be more dark elf and less Hellraiser and you've got a colld setting for some great 3 way warfare. You could easily make the vong into a pretty decent commentary of modern science denialism.

Hell, you could even have teen Grogu be one of the Jedi knights. Synergy!

Honestly yeah a repurposed Vong could be good. Shake up the inevitable status quo of a new New Republic and an Imperial Remanent out there fighting for control. Have a giant galactic wide war for control between the 3 factions that eventually turns into an Alliance against the Vong.

The Grysk is a thing. First Canon Thrawn Trilogy ends with Him delaying the Invasions.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If TROS didn't shit all over TLJ, the new main enemy beyond the sequel era would probably have been the arms dealers who were profiting from both sides of the conflict.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
If TROS didn't shit all over TLJ, the new main enemy beyond the sequel era would probably have been the arms dealers who were profiting from both sides of the conflict.
Kylo Ren should have been the main antagonist in episode ix. Beyond that, I don't see the warlords, bankers as the future main villains, they're opportunistic but probably too cowardly to be the villains.

Lmo2017

Oct 25, 2017
To the east of Parts Unknown...
With the First Order and the Republic out of the way, go full waring states period this time around. A broken galaxy that has to be unified the hard way against either some greater threat or maybe just not at all as they vie for power. Different factions with different force users. Rey, Finn, and Poe leading the discovery of it all. Basically Star Trek Star Wars.

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sequel era as in post ep 9? I'm down. I want to move forward away from 7-9. I was happy with 7. So much potential with great new cast. Didn't like how some the events unfolded in 8 and 9.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars Episode X

Doug Skywalker is living on Tattooine/Jakku/some other boring desert planet

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
With the First Order and the Republic out of the way, go full waring states period this time around. A broken galaxy that has to be unified the hard way against either some greater threat or maybe just not at all as they vie for power. Different factions with different force users. Rey, Finn, and Poe leading the discovery of it all. Basically Star Trek Star Wars.

Its amazing how well the New Jedi Order series continues to age as times go by. Its ditched the Rebels vs Empire dynamic entirely and did its own thing with incomprehensible invaders from beyond the galaxy.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
My only hope is that the reception Visions received gets Lucasfilms to greenlight some anime series.

Slap non-canon on it and let a few good studios go nuts.

ftchrs

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Good, good. The more volume they push out of their sphincter, the higher the probability that a diamond will emerge from the diarrhea that is Star Wars (excluding A New Hope, Empire and the Last Jedi). Maybe a physicist here can help me with defining the probability distribution (I'm thinking Poisson but with respect to volume, not time).

OhMoveOver

Oct 5, 2018
Let's just make sure we plan out an actual storyline this time and also get some good writers on board so we don't have a repeat of "We need to pull some Holdo maneuvers. Do some real damage.".

Also, I will never forgive the queer baiting of Poe and Finn. JJ's introduction of two characters that seem purpose-built to crush the idea of that romance is hilarious to me, Zorii Bliss and Jannah. Oh and SPACE HORSES.