• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
He needs to accept his Mary Sue is dead and would be ancient by the time after Rise.
Ahsoka's been through way too much shit to ever be called a mary sue.

These characters live as long as the writers feel like.

Fucking Maz is shown (still old) alive during the High Republic era.
We've known since TFA that Maz was centuries old and had seen the galaxy go through tons of changes throughout her life time. Besides Yoda she's most likely the oldest SW character.

EDIT: She's actually older than Yoda lmao.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Still? Isn't the High Republic era in the past?

Yup.

Ahsoka's been through way too much shit to ever be called a mary sue.

We've known since TFA that Maz was centuries old and had seen the galaxy go through tons of changes throughout her life time. Besides Yoda she's most likely the oldest SW character.

EDIT: She's actually older than Yoda lmao.

Yeah, I think I remember hearing she was pretty old, back when she was being hyped up with Force Awakens--it completely went over my head how ancient she was (Yoda too, the more I think about it).

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I think I remember hearing she was pretty old, back when she was being hyped up with Force Awakens--it completely went over my head how ancient she was (Yoda too, the more I think about it).
There's actually an offhand comment made by a member of the jedi council in Light of the Jedi where they mention that there have been multiple times in history where the jedi order was reduced to just a dozen members. And it honestly made me wonder if Yoda had lived through something like that.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Rey finds the world between worlds and fixes the ST!
She goes through to Starkiller base and changes the target to exegol.

that is not how the world between worlds works

They really have lot of stuff they can do with the ST if they want, as the ST was so loose in world building and so much left on the table.

1.) The First Order still exists, there was literally only one single FO ship at the battle of Exogal, the rest of the Order, it's fleet and all that is still out there. Yea the ending shows that the galaxy is fighting back, but it wouldn't disappear over night, just like how the Empire didn't just go poof after ROTJ. There was an IDW comic which had Rey and company fighting FO after TROS for example, they would still be out there with a massive fleet and military that was taking over the galaxy for a year.

2.) No more Republic, the Resistance had won but you still got a galaxy with no ruling body. Do we see another Republic rise for the third time or how about telling the story of trying to reunite the galaxy, or even what about a Star Wars universe with no central ruling government? Would be interesting to have a galaxy kind of just turn it's back on the Republic as a whole, or at least have us see the rebuilding aspect as something difficult to achieve. A fractured galaxy post war would be interesting to have instead of just a Republic magically being made.

1. It gets changed to before TROS.
2. I can't see a new new republic happened. Many Planets refuse to join the new republic after the war with the empire ended because of how bad their system was.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
There's actually an offhand comment made by a member of the jedi council in Light of the Jedi where they mention that there have been multiple times in history where the jedi order was reduced to just a dozen members. And it honestly made me wonder if Yoda had lived through something like that.

I would give my left nut (possibly my right) to have more stories set thousands of years before, or after, the Skywalker Saga--shit must have gotten real wild.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Kylo should have survived to wander the galaxy atoning for what he'd done and redeemed the name of Skywalker. But they blew it.

Valentonis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 8, 2020
I don't get the comments saying that Rey's character is unsalvagable, if anything I feel like she's a blank slate right now. She's a young Jedi trained by Leia, Han, and Luke who now has the opportunity to define what the future of the Jedi order looks like, that's the only hook that you need for some fun adventures. All the Sheev stuff can just be background trivia.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I don't get the comments saying that Rey's character is unsalvagable, if anything I feel like she's a blank slate right now. She's a young Jedi trained by Leia, Han, and Luke who now has the opportunity to define what the future of the Jedi order looks like, that's the only hook that you need for some fun adventures. All the Sheev stuff can just be background trivia.

Her entire character was JJ'd into being just a bunch of callbacks ducktaped together.

cheese toast

Oct 29, 2017
After three movies of character development and countless pieces of tie-in media, it can't be great to have the central character of the sequel trilogy regarded as a "blank slate".

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The faster they retcon all the mistakes done by the sequel trilogy the better, we can't redo the sequel trilogy and they rehashed the OT and killed characters literally and figuratively. SWs isn't going away so fixing it with duct tape is the best they can do.

Otakunofuji

Oct 27, 2017
I suppose they can just keep making up new Jedi powers for Rey that literally no one else in the universe ever had before and keep ruining everything about the Force. They shouldn't, but they probably will.

There were other characters? They didn't do much.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
Kylo should have survived to wander the galaxy atoning for what he'd done and redeemed the name of Skywalker. But they blew it.

Same energy

4214c5ba74f7c6142afa5c6beb75b3ba--the-villages-naruto-series.jpg

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
After three movies of character development and countless pieces of tie-in media, it can't be great to have the central character of the sequel trilogy regarded as a "blank slate".

The character has entered a new period of her life, she's young, the galaxy has changed, it's all a blank slate essentially to go wherever they want.

Folks are stuck on Ep9 acting like everything is ruined. No it's not, they can go so many directions and have a huge canvas to work on now that the trilogy is out of the way. Folks acted exactly same way after the prequels, how awful Anakin was, how Vader was ruined, this was ruined, this was bad, LFL is gonna act like the PT doesn't exist.

All it needs is good writing and creative minds to tell us good stories, take characters on journeys we want to see. There is a big empty space now created after the ST where they can go in a million directions.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
These characters live as long as the writers feel like.

Fucking Maz is shown (still old) alive during the High Republic era.
I stand by my opinion that Maz is one of the worst characters in the new Star Wars trilogy. Her entire character feels like some dumb attempt by JJ Abrams to one-up Yoda.

kowhite

May 14, 2019
The character has entered a new period of her life, she's young, the galaxy has changed, it's all a blank slate essentially to go wherever they want.

Folks are stuck on Ep9 acting like everything is ruined. No it's not, they can go so many directions and have a huge canvas to work on now that the trilogy is out of the way. Folks acted exactly same way after the prequels, how awful Anakin was, how Vader was ruined, this was ruined, this was bad, LFL is gonna act like the PT doesn't exist.

All it needs is good writing and creative minds to tell us good stories, take characters on journeys we want to see. There is a big empty space now created after the ST where they can go in a million directions.

This is true. I will be able to suck it up and deal with her adopting the Skywalker name, despite how stupid it is, or even accept that she doesn't use that name, cause it was just an emotional moment she said something stupid. Whatever, make good stories with her in the future, I'll let that go. Im not still obsessing over midochlrians or Anakins virgin birth, I can look over these things.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is true. I will be able to suck it up and deal with her adopting the Skywalker name, despite how stupid it is, or even accept that she doesn't use that name, cause it was just an emotional moment she said something stupid. Whatever, make good stories with her in the future, I'll let that go. Im not still obsessing over midochlrians or Anakins virgin birth, I can look over these things.
They can't do that they movie is called the Rise of Skywalker and the 9 movies are the "Skywalker" saga, they were stuck in having to shove the skywalker name there somehow to have the movies "make sense" as a 9 movie act (which it doesn't) while also sticking to their guns that Rey wasn't the daughter of Luke.
Yeah it would've been the obvious thing to do but by not doing it the sequel trilogy has no reason being a continuation of the original saga.

kowhite

May 14, 2019
They can't do that they movie is called the Rise of Skywalker and the 9 movies are the "Skywalker" saga, they were stuck in having to shove the skywalker name there somehow to have the movies "make sense" as a 9 movie act (which it doesn't) while also sticking to their guns that Rey wasn't the daughter of Luke.
Yeah it would've been the obvious thing to do but by not doing it the sequel trilogy has no reason being a continuation of the original saga.

The Skywalker Saga was a marketing gimmick they came up with for Episode 9 it's nowhere mentioned in the films.

They couldve done anything they wanted with the sequel trilogy nonetheless I disagree with your contention even though yes some dumb fanboys might complain about the numbering cause it isnt as properly thematically linked but I don't care. But I'm talking about future films and how they can easily not pay proper atttention to what was done in Rise of Skywalker though and how that wouldn't bother me one bit. So I'm not even talking about those films.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
I remember Boyega saying "I won't be disney plused".

We back in the 90s? Odd to see an actor stigmatize the small screen in this day and age.

My favorite thing is how, while doing press for RoS, co-screenwriter Chris Terrio rolled out the brilliant rationalization that Rose is more important than ever because she's closer to Leia:

Article: Kelly Marie Tran was barely in Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. Co-writer blames CGI.

Wow.

Lmao. This is the absolute worst.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Rises absolutely killed my interest in the sequel characters, for the most part. But if they do anything Finn needs to be the focus.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
The faster they retcon all the mistakes done by the sequel trilogy the better, we can't redo the sequel trilogy and they rehashed the OT and killed characters literally and figuratively. SWs isn't going away so fixing it with duct tape is the best they can do.
We are in basically in a state of perpetual Special Editions and it just is what it is.

May as well just embrace the retcons.

Nov 3, 2017

Oooh, a reasonable post in a Star Wars thread? I'll print this one out and keep it in a little box.

I`m ready for anything, bring it. There is still much untapped potential in the threads the sequels have woven.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Skywalker Saga was a marketing gimmick they came up with for Episode 9 it's nowhere mentioned in the films.

They couldve done anything they wanted with the sequel trilogy nonetheless I disagree with your contention even though yes some dumb fanboys might complain about the numbering cause it isnt as properly thematically linked but I don't care. But I'm talking about future films and how they can easily not pay proper atttention to what was done in Rise of Skywalker though and how that wouldn't bother me one bit. So I'm not even talking about those films.

I agree new movies shouldn't take anywhere near the "skywalker" era or if they do have nothing to do with skywalker. They need to move on from that, especially with how badly they handled it and there's no easy fix, or at least one that will be any good.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You can tell on this forum who only pays attention to news when it's negative or bad because Boyega has expressed interest in coming back. Has even gone back on his D+ comments after seeing The Mandalorian and would be interested in animation. I'd be surprised if most people here knew he had met with Kathleen Kennedy after his big interview last year.

And if we just ignored the prequels like people want the sequels to be ignored we wouldn't have The Clone Wars which means we wouldn't have some peoples saviour Dave Filoni working at Lucasfilm.