• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CinemaBlend's own Law Sharma had the opportunity to speak with Kathleen Kennedy at Star Wars Celebration, during which time he asked her if there's been any word or movement on the Lando series. As it turns out, Donald Glover's busy schedule is currently holding up this project from making any major progress forward, with Kathleen Kennedy saying:

"You need to ask Donald. He's the one that holds all the cards here. But there's no movement. I will say that honestly. But it's not for lack of trying. It's just that he's a very busy guy. ... He's got another series, and I think one other thing, and then he'll come our way. So patiently waiting."
The other series Kathleen Kennedy referred to that Donald Glover is working on is likely Mr. & Mrs. Smith, which has been set up on Amazon and is a reboot of the same-named 2005 movie starring Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt. The Mr. & Mrs. Smith series was originally going to see Glover starring opposite his Solo co-star Phoebe Waller-Bridge, but she departed the project in September 2021, and in April, it was revealed that PEN15's Maya Erskine is taking over that role. Glover also completed shooting the fourth and final season of FX's Atlanta back in February.

More at:
www.cinemablend.com

What’s Happening With Star Wars’ Lando Calrissian Series? Kathleen Kennedy Provides An Update

Where do things stand with Lando Calrissian’s show being primed for Disney+?

Sell me out to Lord Vader if old

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
She should have started with 'he's a very busy guy', the stuff before that sounds like she's throwing him under the bus a bit.

Still, for people worried that the 'no more recasting' thing might have meant this was dead, this is at least a small sign of life.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars fans: Move on from the same characters
Same Star Wars fans: we want Lando!

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She should have started with 'he's a very busy guy', the stuff before that sounds like she's throwing him under the bus a bit.

Still, for people worried that the 'no more recasting' thing might have meant this was dead, this is at least a small sign of life.
There's a video in the article, she was just being spontaneous.

lol that shade. that's an aggressive response there
WTF really?

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
Nice to know they're still interested in him as Lando. I didn't love his portrayal in Solo, but I'll take it any day over deep fakes like we got for Luke.

Only for people who want to hate on Kennedy.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
This isn't super surprising, as I was kinda caught off guard by the announcement in the first place because of how busy he is.

He's also too busy for the Community movie, but since he isn't as integral to that I'd imagine that has more flexibility (assuming it happens at all).

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Glover was the best part of Solo but I think a TV show around Lando would just be a disaster.

It would somehow involve Lando finding a child and having to protect it from Cloud City gangsters. No, I don't care about baby Lobo or the kids from the Star Wars holiday special.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
After the Mandalorian and all the shows surrounding it, we just need to move the fuck on from the movies. So, stay busy, Glover. You don't need this shit.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Donald Glover returning to check in with how things are going with the Star Wars movies

community-donald-glover.gif

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot about this. This, more than most "who asked for this?" Star Wars shows, is a show nobody asked for.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Yeah, gonna say years from now which isn't that bad since Lando can grow into that role. That said, its a waste of his talents…not worth dealing with fanboys calling him with slurs and death threats if like, there's a scene where Lando best Mando or something.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
He felt nothing like Lando in Solo, I find it hard to get excited about this.

I'd much rather him (and say, Hiro) write a series. It's the one medium Glover seems to excel in.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
I forgot about this. This, more than most "who asked for this?" Star Wars shows, is a show nobody asked for.
Ugh, people said this same shit about Andor and now we got a trailer and it looks great.

I'm so tired of hearing it. Who cares who asked for it as long as they can come up with a good story.

If it sucks, that's too bad, but if it's good, who cares of its a show about New character 1 or one about Elan Sleazebaggano?

Yeah, gonna say years from now which isn't that bad since Lando can grow into that role. That said, its a waste of his talents…not worth dealing with fanboys calling him with slurs and death threats if like, there's a scene where Lando best Mando or something.
Lol, Din got his ass handed to him by Jawas. Lando would more than make sense to be able to beat him.

That said, I'd rather he not invade a show about Lando. BoBF was already hurt by that.

But I can't say I disagree with not wanting anyone to have to deal with those Star Wars fans.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Please just let these old characters rest in peace. It's the attachment fans have to them that is making SW so toxic.

We don't need a Lando show. We already know all we need to know about Lando. He's cool. Why take the risk of making him lame?

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
I think what's technically not confirmed yet is whether this will be live action or animated.

But I figure it's the former by default and they would have specified it if it was the latter.
If it was animated, I think Billy Dee Williams would voice him. He's done it in stuff like Rebels and Battlefront. He seems to enjoy doing it.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
This isn't super surprising, as I was kinda caught off guard by the announcement in the first place because of how busy he is.

He's also too busy for the Community movie, but since he isn't as integral to that I'd imagine that has more flexibility (assuming it happens at all).
I'd argue he's more integral to Community than people are willing to admit honestly, it was never quite the same when he left.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Please just let these old characters rest in peace. It's the attachment fans have to them that is making SW so toxic.

We don't need a Lando show. We already know all we need to know about Lando. He's cool. Why take the risk of making him lame?

100%

I'm so sick and tired of 90% of the shit going on with Star Wars cause I don't give a shit about rehashing the same characters over and over in lower stakes situations to try and lazily mine people's nostalgia instead of coming up with interesting original content set in what once felt like this impossibly huge and vast universe. But now feels small and stale.

Andor is about the only thing that I have any real interest in that I've seen recently announced. And even that I don't really feel is necessary but at least it's not mining a character that's been overexposed for decades.

I really can not express how poorly Disney and Kennedy has handled this IP. It actually shocks me she is still in charge

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Glover was the absolute worst part of Solo. Did a Lando impression and gave up about 20 minutes in.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, people said this same shit about Andor and now we got a trailer and it looks great.

I'm so tired of hearing it. Who cares who asked for it as long as they can come up with a good story.

If it sucks, that's too bad, but if it's good, who cares of its a show about New character 1 or one about Elan Sleazebaggano?

Except I've been excited about Andor from the beginning as it was plainly obvious Andor himself wasn't the draw of the show and he would just be a vessel for some interesting stories set during the Rebellion. Same with The Acolyte, these two shows sound interesting on a conceptual level.

Lando though? It's obvious this show is going to be the equivalent of the Leo pointing at the TV meme, much like Solo was.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
i would be a lot more interested in this if Glover was creating the show and not just acting in it because dude was the worst part of Solo tbh

man was just doing an impression as opposed to Alden

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
He's got better things to do with his time tbh. Hope he writes a movie next

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if Glover was suprised they announced a Lando show lmao.

Let him write a new series with new characters etc. tbh. LF is in dire need of better writers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

ilikesanta

Oct 26, 2017
Pitch: the show is about Lando reluctantly become owner and leader of Cloud City, literally trying to keep the whole thing a float. He has to put up with the mining guild, tourist and having to deal with his uppity cyborg assistant.

Title : Cloud City over Lando

Poster: Cloud City floating in the sky, with Lando standing under it, looking up, and shrugging his shoulders; as if to say "oh boy."

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
Would it be cool? Probably.
Does it need to exist? Not really.
Does Donald Glover need to do anything that isn't what he wants to do, professionally speaking? Nope.

So, maybe he decides he wants to spend time playing with other people's toys, maybe he doesn't, either case it'll probably be fine.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017

Seriously. Who the hell is excited for a Lando show?

Make new material. The Acolyte is the only Star Wars content I'm even moderately excited for at this point. They need to be doing more of that kind of show. It just feels Disney has no idea what to do with the franchise so they keep revisiting the same timeline and telling more stores about the same characters.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Make new shit. Stop trying to fill in blanks where we all just assumed not much happened.

Fucking hell, may as well make a series about the construction of the deathstar. maybe there is some family drama centered around some designer who has to work for the empire but secretly doesn't want to or something.

Star Wars is creatively bankrupt at this point. Shoot the franchise with a giant shotgun..

May 14, 2021
I thought he sucked as Lando. More to the point, he wasn't used very well. I'd be more interested in him doing the Community movie.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I'd argue he's more integral to Community than people are willing to admit honestly, it was never quite the same when he left.

Fair, but in terms of continuity, the obvious Community movie plot is the study group traveling to save him and LeVar Burton from pirates, which would require less of his time than starring in his own series.