• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
should i introduce you to Reylo or Finnpoe???

Well that's the thing, they don't actually follow through with two of the main relationships they were building, it's up to fans to do like fan fiction. Frankly they chickened out of either doing Finnpoe (can't have gay lead characters) or Rey-Finn (can't have a black man and white woman together as leads in a Hollywood movie either, still too taboo) ... but yeah I guess we got Reylo ... which is probably the signature relationship of the sequel trilogy.

200.gif

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well that's the thing, they don't actually follow through with two of the main relationships they were building, it's up to fans to do like fan fiction. Frankly they chickened out of either doing Finnpoe (can't have gay lead characters) or Rey-Finn (can't have a black man and white woman together as leads in a Hollywood movie either, still too taboo) ... but yeah I guess we got Reylo ... which is probably the signature relationship of the sequel trilogy.

200.gif

they dont have to "follow through" anything

you asked if any relationship will be remembered, and there are

Hux and Kylo feud will be remembered

Phasma and Finn too.

Rey and Kylo

Finn and Poe

Poe and Hux

BB-8 with Finn

Chewbacca and the Porgs

Rey and the caretakers

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Phasma and Finn too.

Rey and Kylo

Finn and Poe

Poe and Hux

BB-8 with Finn

Chewbacca and the Porgs

Rey and the caretakers

Those relationships will be remember by some hardcore fans sure, but among the general public, I don't think anyone looks at those character relationships as iconic.

Han-Luke-Leia, sure as fuck. Luke-Obi-Wan? Yup. Luke-Yoda? Still quoted by hip high school teachers all the time (lol). Emperor-Vader, oh yeah.

Even probably Anakin-Obi-Wan in the prequels eeked out just enough despite being very poorly written to get itself on a higher tier, same with Mandalorian-Baby Yoda (general public loves that). There's enough of an investment by the prequels and Mandalorian respectively to giving those relationships screen time and time to breathe (although I'm probably be generous with the Anakin-Obi-Wan because the Clone Wars TV show did most of the heavy lifting).

But I don't think the sequel trilogy will be remembered on those terms. You gotta put in the work at the script phase, and they didn't.

I've never liked Harry Potter that much, but I will say the one thing that I think is crucial in making those stories work with the public was the Harry-Hermoine-Ron trifecta is heavily invested into as a relationship trio and it's relatable to people in the school setting (trying to make new friends when you know nobody, and the ins and outs of navigating friendships like that as you get older). That's the core aspect of it that makes it work like it did I think.

Lazlow

Oct 27, 2017
The sequel trilogy should have focused on Luke, Han and Leia. That was the draw of the franchise coming back; Rey and anyone else should have been built as support characters in the same way Obi Wan/Yoda was for A New Hope; interesting enough for people to care but not take the limelight.
If they'd focused on the legacy characters for the 'Skywalker Saga' then maybe, just maybe, we could have been done with that era and new stories could be told without having to constantly nostalgia pander the way they have post ST.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
The sequel trilogy should have focused on Luke, Han and Leia. That was the draw of the franchise coming back; Rey and anyone else should have been built as support characters in the same way Obi Wan/Yoda was for A New Hope; interesting enough for people to care but not take the limelight.
If they'd focused on the legacy characters for the 'Skywalker Saga' then maybe, just maybe, we could have been done with that era and new stories could be told without having to constantly nostalgia pander the way they have post ST.
Sounds terrible!

DyByHands

Jul 16, 2018
After dealing with the star wars fandom, I can see why he would take on like any other project that isnt star wars lol.

Lazlow

Oct 27, 2017

Yes; if the ST had been 20 years earlier we would have got the story of what happened to those characters after the OT; rather than 'a bunch of shit happened and here's where they ended up'.
When they announced the continuation with 7/8/9 were people really looking for stories completely unrelated to the OT? The PT is just a continuation, retroactively, of everything that we knew from 4/5/6.

How?

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I think you're right on that more or less. Or really make it a bit like Cobra Kai, where the older characters are the leads, but so are the new characters and how they interact with each other and their relationships are what make the show work.

But there was no way you were going to have the OT cast in and then just have them be kinda side characters, they're just too iconic in the minds of the fan base by this point. That was always going to end up being a problem of sorts.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man if only Cobra Kai had come out like in 2013. Disney would have a perfect blueprint for how to handle the ST.

Lazlow

Oct 27, 2017
I think you're right on that more or less. Or really make it a bit like Cobra Kai, where the older characters are the leads, but so are the new characters and how they interact with each other and their relationships are what make the show work.

But there was no way you were going to have the OT cast in and then just have them be kinda side characters, they're just too iconic in the minds of the fan base by this point. That was always going to end up being a problem of sorts.

Exactly. I seem to recall, I can't find a source so this may be tales from my ass, that JJ said Luke was too big a presence and he didn't know how to have him in FA without overshadowing everything else.

Edit: It was Ardnt

The trouble was a simple case of upstaging. "It just felt like every time Luke came in and entered the movie, he just took it over," Arndt said. "Suddenly you didn't care about your main character anymore because, 'Oh f–k, Luke Skywalker's here. I want to see what he's going to do.'"

Source

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
Man if only Cobra Kai had come out like in 2013. Disney would have a perfect blueprint for how to handle the ST.
Cobra Kai is a near perfect sequel.

Instead of one, there are dozens of Karate Kids and they all have their own problems and trials. The only ones who can help them find balance in life hate each other's guts.

It's actually really incredible these kids' problems in 2022 are descended from bullshit that happened in Vietnam. Heck they could go even further back if they wanted...

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly. I seem to recall, I can't find a source so this may be tales from my ass, that JJ said Luke was too big a presence and he didn't know how to have him in FA without overshadowing everything else.

Cobra Kai flirted with a similar problem too ... initially the show was mainly just focused on Johnny and Daniel was going to be kind of like a more minor character, but they realized probably thankfully that was a mistake and chose to make Daniel/Miyagi side of things as equal part of the equation.

Without that I don't think the show works as well, or if you change Daniel to too much of an asshole that would've been problematic.

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
It still bewilders me how much The Last Jedi seemed to piss some people off.

I don't trust the taste of anyone who bemoans Rey's parents being nobodies or that Snoke didn't read his autobiography to her before he died.

Jan 3, 2018
Every main character has grown beyond their mentors in TLJ (I'll repeat it: Yoda literally says it. Leia literally says: don't look at me, follow him), so you can perfectly tell an IX without any mentor character.

Regarding Rey and Luke, I wouldn't even say he's her mentor since he doesn't train her beyond 30 seconds of "Reach out with your feelings." She's basically her own mentor. But I think it's clear by the end that Luke is still a more experienced Jedi. Plus he's a force ghost now, so that should further boost his Jedi power. Although Rey does manage to shoot down 3 tie fighters in a single shot so maybe it's a toss-up.

Regarding Poe and Leia, I wouldn't say Leia's his mentor, but even if we say she is, he grew "beyond" her by... how? Did he learn to be a greater General than her? His plan with Finn and Rose turned out to be a horrible idea so that can't be it. He basically pitched a fit until he got what he wanted which was for someone to explain the plan to him. He also didn't face any consequences for mutiny beyond getting stun-gunned.

Regarding Finn and... I guess in this case his mentor would be Rose? How did he "grow beyond" her? By becoming a resistance member, which she already was? Or do you mean he learned when to run vs. when to fight, which she already seemed to know? Or did he have a different mentor I'm not thinking of? DJ?

Last edited:

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Regarding Finn and... I guess int his case his mentor would be Rose? How did he "grow beyond" her? By becoming a resistance member, which she already was? Or do you mean he learned when to run vs. when to fight, which she already seemed to know? Or did he have a different mentor I'm not thinking of? DJ?

Phasma, not Rose

Regarding Rey and Luke, I wouldn't even say he's her mentor since he doesn't train her beyond 30 seconds of "Reach out with your feelings." She's basically her own mentor. But I think it's clear by the end that Luke is still a more experienced Jedi. Although she does shoot down 3 tie fighters in a single shot so maybe it's a toss-up.
contrary to the 30 seconds luke has with Obi Wan of training?

Regarding Poe and Leia, I wouldn't say Leia's his mentor,

are you serious?????

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The new characters could have good story arcs and development without needing the blessing/teaching/connections/etc. of the old characters

For example the Mandalorian is a great character in his series and they didn't need to make him the disciple or son of an old character for that
You're right, he's just an adopted foundling for a Mando cult that was established in The Clone Wars and getting conflicting information on his culture from another character introduced in The Clone Wars which has since caused internal conflict for Mando.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're right, he's just an adopted foundling for a Mando cult that was established in The Clone Wars and getting conflicting information on his culture from another character introduced in The Clone Wars which has since caused conflict for Mando.
Which is better than grand-daughter of Sheev and daughter of Lando

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Regarding Rey and Luke, I wouldn't even say he's her mentor since he doesn't train her beyond 30 seconds of "Reach out with your feelings." She's basically her own mentor. But I think it's clear by the end that Luke is still a more experienced Jedi. Although she does shoot down 3 tie fighters in a single shot so maybe it's a toss-up.

Regarding Poe and Leia, I wouldn't say Leia's his mentor, but even if we say she is, he grew "beyond" her by... how? Did he learn to be a greater General than her? His plan with Finn and Rose turned out to be a horrible idea so that can't be it. He basically pitched a fit until he got what he wanted which was for someone to explain the plan to him. He also didn't face any consequences for mutiny beyond getting stun-gunned.

Regarding Finn and... I guess int his case his mentor would be Rose? How did he "grow beyond" her? By becoming a resistance member, which she already was? Or do you mean he learned when to run vs. when to fight, which she already seemed to know? Or did he have a different mentor I'm not thinking of? DJ?

I'll give them that ... there is some indication of an actual mentor-learner relationship between Leia and Poe even if it's kinda undercut by putting Leia in a coma for most of VIII.

Overall character relationships were definitely not a strength of the ST. The prequels suffered from that too ... the OT is a master class in great character relationships in sci-fi/fantasy storytelling, it's really what made those movies tick (same goes for virtually every successful take on Star Trek ... when they tried to make the TNG movies more about Picard/Data being big action heroes, the end result suffered).

Jan 3, 2018

I see. I guess he did "grow beyond" Phasma by learning to kill her when he sees an opportunity, which is more than she did with Finn. (And I guess he merely attempted to kill her in TFA.) To be honest it didn't really resonate with me in that sense because the 2 characters essentially have zero relationship in the movies. And one might argue that a better way to grow beyond a villain is to resolve conflict in a way that isn't simply being a better killer.

contrary to the 30 seconds luke has with Obi Wan of training?

I'm not sure how this is relevant to what I said. You would say Rey grew beyond Luke?

are you serious?????

Compelling argument. I've nothing to do but concede. But as I was saying, how did he "grow beyond" her? Did he learn to be a greater General than her? His plan with Finn and Rose turned out to be a horrible idea, so that can't be it. He basically pitched a fit until he got what he wanted which was for someone to explain the plan to him. He also didn't face any consequences for mutiny beyond getting stun-gunned.

Last edited:

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
You're right, he's just an adopted foundling for a Mando cult that was established in The Clone Wars and getting conflicting information on his culture from another character introduced in The Clone Wars which has since caused internal conflict for Mando.

You seem really confused if you think having a character be a part of a religion introduced in the franchise, interacting with characters greatly tied to that religion's history is even in the same plane of creative bankruptcy as "Palpy's secret grand daughter".

By your logic any wookie character that visits Kashyyyk has that problem

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You seem really confused if you think having a character be a part of a religion introduced in the franchise, interacting with characters greatly tied to that religion's history is even in the same plane of creative bankruptcy as "Palpy's secret grand daughter".

By your logic any wookie character that visits Kashyyyk has that problem
The comment in question doesn't just refer to bloodlines.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
My opinion aligns with John Boyega's regarding the ST: Finn was wasted, and should have been a Jedi. You can spend all the words in the world trying to prove that Finn was in fact an amazing hero only thanks to the God-given grace of TLJ, or tell me with the gusto of a zealot how Finn was destined to be stupid comic relief and could never be anything more (yeah sure, BTW do you identify as white?). Write me a novel, it won't matter. Finn was wasted, and he deserved to be a Jedi. TLJ was an otherwise good movie, but it threw every character not named Rey or Kylo to the wayside.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My opinion aligns with John Boyega's regarding the ST: Finn was wasted, and should have been a Jedi. You can spend all the words in the world trying to prove that Finn was in fact an amazing hero only thanks to the God-given grace of TLJ, or tell me with the gusto of a zealot how Finn was destined to be stupid comic relief and could never be anything more (yeah sure, BTW do you identify as white?). Write me a novel, it won't matter. Finn was wasted, and he deserved to be a Jedi. TLJ was an otherwise good movie, but it threw every character not named Rey or Kylo to the wayside.

i will never understand why that is TLJ problem

when JJ first used him as a red herring for TFA, even worse a fucking stormtrooper fooled Finn even when he was using a lightsaber, and the stormtrooper just an energy baton

and then didnt have the balls to state outright Finn was Force sensitive on TROS, and only confirmed it on interviews

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017

Phasma and Finn too.

Rey and Kylo

Finn and Poe

Poe and Hux

BB-8 with Finn

Chewbacca and the Porgs

Rey and the caretakers

who is actually going to remember Phasma and Hux let alone any "relationship" they had with other equally dull characters in the ST?

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding Rey and Luke, I wouldn't even say he's her mentor since he doesn't train her beyond 30 seconds of "Reach out with your feelings." She's basically her own mentor. But I think it's clear by the end that Luke is still a more experienced Jedi. Plus he's a force ghost now, so that should further boost his Jedi power. Although Rey does manage to shoot down 3 tie fighters in a single shot so maybe it's a toss-up.

Grow beyond doesn't necessairely mean they are literally better, it means in this context that they continue where the mentors stop (passing the baton remember), but also that they will do it their own way.

What? You do realize that in a most good stories characters don't start and end the same, but evolve, right? When Poe has his Finn and Rose plan he is still handling from his flaws, making mistakes. His mutiny: same.
Through those mistakes he learned and grew, leading to the decision to pull back on Crait (something the Poe from the beginning of the film would never do. He literally does the opposite in the opening sequence). That's the point he is ready to take over from Leia. That's why she can say 'follow him' soon after.

Last edited:

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
i will never understand why that is TLJ problem

when JJ first used him as a red herring for TFA, even worse a fucking stormtrooper fooled Finn even when he was using a lightsaber, and the stormtrooper just an energy baton

and then didnt have the balls to state outright Finn was Force sensitive on TROS, and only confirmed it on interviews

JJ is also the one that turned him into a joke with a line that basically turned him into janitor

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Grow beyond doesn't necessairely mean they are literally better, it means in this context that they continue where the mentors stop (passing the baton remember), but also that they will do it their own way.

What? You do realize that in a most good stories characters don't start and end the same, but evolve right? When Poe has his Finn and Rose plan he is still handling from his flaws, making mistakes. His mutiny: same.
Through those mistakes he learned and grew, leading to the decision to pull back on Crait (something the Poe from the beginning of the film would never do. He literally does the opposite in the opening sequence). That's the point he is ready to take over from Leia. That's why she can say 'follow him' soon after.

there is no point, poster argued that Finn should have something else beyond just killing Phasma, for his "grow beyond" moment.

even when Finn literally calls himself "Rebel Scum" in front of her, like, the movie is not subtle about its themes and intentions

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boyega also said the Duel of the Fates script was great and would have been cool to see on screen, yet Finn wasn't a Jedi in it.

geardo

Oct 27, 2017
I felt about the same after I saw TLJ as I feel about TDKR: fun but too big clunky, stupid, and nonsensical to really stand the test of time. After many years removed from both I don't have any urge to watch them ever again.

So I'd say this is good news because Knives Out was actually great and has me wanting more.

Jan 3, 2018

Do you mean she's following in his footsteps? Then yes. But I wouldn't use the terminology "growing beyond her mentor" as a way to describe it.

What? You do realize that in a most good stories characters don't start and end the same, but evolve, right? When Poe has his Finn and Rose plan he is still handling from his flaws, making mistakes. His mutiny: same.

What did he learn that puts him at Leia's level? After his (arguably successful) combat piloting during the first space battle, he gets reprimanded and demoted by Leia, then allowed to jump back in an X-Wing literally 2 minutes afterwards. So no consequences there. Then his mentor is replaced by Holdo, who treats him like a child even after his history of contributions to the Rebellion. She does withhold information from him, but does so in such a condescending manner that I don't know how he could learn anything from her. Then he mutinies and gets no reprimand from either Holdo or Leia. So no consequences there.

If you're saying he learns when to run instead of when to engage, well, does he? In the first space battle, it's entirely likely that destroying that Dreadnought (a "fleet killer" as he calls it), despite the deaths they sustained, saved the Rebellion from complete obliteration by the ships powerful guns. Then for the entire 2nd act, I don't really see anything that calls out running vs. engaging as a theme. It's not like Poe is continuously asking Holdo to let him go blow something up (which actually could have served to highlight his growth), he's simply asking for a plan, whatever the plan may be.

So if the movie wanted me to see his growth from the first space battle to the end of the one on Crait, it failed. The 2 situations are just too different. In the first space battle, they have proper ships and the odds are bad but not impossible, especially with Poe's skills. On Crait, they're flying rust buckets and there's a charged-up mini-death Star staring down at them. The cards are so stacked against them its ridiculous. So when Poe decides to retreat, I didn't think "he's learning," I just thought "This is combat-savvy Poe making a smart judgement call."

If I wanted to highlight his growth in the 3rd act, I would have had him fail during the first space battle. Let's say he gets people killed AND doesn't even blow up a single ship. So now he has this failure looming over his head during the rest of the movie, and he knows he needs to do things differently. So at the end when he sees his squad getting picked off, his retreat actually has resonance.

Last edited:

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Those relationships will be remember by some hardcore fans sure, but among the general public, I don't think anyone looks at those character relationships as iconic.

Han-Luke-Leia, sure as fuck. Luke-Obi-Wan? Yup. Luke-Yoda? Still quoted by hip high school teachers all the time (lol). Emperor-Vader, oh yeah.

Even probably Anakin-Obi-Wan in the prequels eeked out just enough despite being very poorly written to get itself on a higher tier, same with Mandalorian-Baby Yoda (general public loves that). There's enough of an investment by the prequels and Mandalorian respectively to giving those relationships screen time and time to breathe (although I'm probably be generous with the Anakin-Obi-Wan because the Clone Wars TV show did most of the heavy lifting).

But I don't think the sequel trilogy will be remembered on those terms. You gotta put in the work at the script phase, and they didn't.

I've never liked Harry Potter that much, but I will say the one thing that I think is crucial in making those stories work with the public was the Harry-Hermoine-Ron trifecta is heavily invested into as a relationship trio and it's relatable to people in the school setting (trying to make new friends when you know nobody, and the ins and outs of navigating friendships like that as you get older). That's the core aspect of it that makes it work like it did I think.

Actually why are we obsessing and insisting that having a Finn-Rey-Poe relationship is the best way for the trilogy? I think for a while after I watched TROS I had the same sentiment but now looking back, lots of trilogies and stories have ended up great without need their 3 main characters to all be close to one another.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I can't imagine working on this franchise for a decade. You have nerds everywhere ready to rip your head off as soon as you do something they don't like. Screw that.

Filoni's been on it for like 15 years or something now, and Favreau will have been working on it for close to 5 by time Mando S3 is over (and I doubt that's the last season it's getting). There's definitely people willing to do it, it's a matter of finding them.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
It's pretty annoying that after so much time and money spent, TROS turned out like it did. I can't even think of a good excuse. Johnson's series had a lot of potential though, so that's a bummer.

JJ was given almost no time for Episode IX and I cannot imagine the immense pressure he was put under to see it out the door.

JJ had a lot of great ideas for Episode IX but the realities and time constraint due to Disney and Lucasfilm wanting it out in May 2019 and then later December of 2019 just really hurt the production and story. I am willing to bet had JJ been given the same amount of time as Rian did, Rise of Skywalker would have been a much better film.

This video really helps flesh out, had JJ had actual time, the story and production could have gone better and outlines just how tight of a schedule JJ and crew were on.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm sorry but in no universe were Rey being a Palpatine, pointless McGuffin chasing for patented Abrams Mystery Boxes, or Sheev coming back ever "good ideas"

You can cherry pick what I said all you want but if you read the rest of the sentence, I said those ideas were compromised due to the crazy schedule they were put under. The video I linked outlines the original Episode IX JJ wanted but goes on to show how slowly over time, due to said time constraints, they couldn't execute those ideas.

Also it seems the Palpatine decision predates JJ, as Chris Terrio says that decision predates before he came onboard...And JJ hired him the same week JJ himself was. Sooooooo....

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
itd like rian to fully own his vision but i also
don't think star wars deserves him so i'm kind of whatever about this

Last edited:

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
After Ep. IX and Mandalorian, I wouldn't mind if Star Wars franshise disappered off the face of the Earth. Rian Johnson shouldn't waste his time on this.