• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
This trilogy was equal to the Henry Cavill Superman sequel in terms of people somehow believing for years it was still happening

LegalEagleMike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Damn its a long gap till new movies, feels like they overreacted to poor reception. Shouldve just made more interesting movoes instead of this dead period.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to give everyone what they want, but delays to original, creative direction isn't the right choice.
Yeah, I mean its symbolic for the direction LF is going in for the forseeable future. They are putting an entire new galaxy with new creatures, characters, ships etc. on hold and are focusing on the well known.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a best-case scenario, isn't it? He should stay away from the stuff he's not good at (making Star Wars movies) and focus on the stuff he is.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
spit-funny.gif

Just a terrible call. They're so terrified of The Last Jedi when they should really be doing everything in their power to court Rian to touch the series again soon so we can get something other than deepfake Luke, Grogu and more OT memberberries. It's good that we get more Knives Out, but waiting an eternity for this (if it even happens) is brutal.

I'll never forgive the people who shat on TLJ and set Disney Star Wars on this path. We could have had it all, man.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
i wouldn't hold my breath that this is ever gonna happen. this is her attempting to let people down easy.

i don't blame johnson lol. he put out the best movie in the series in decades and only got shit on for it. i wouldn't wanna come back either

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Yeah, I mean its symbolic for the direction LF is going in for the forseeable future. They are putting an entire new galaxy with new creatures, characters, ships etc. on hold and are focusing on the well known.

The Vanity Fair article spends a decent amount of time talking about Acolyte, which while still a prequel (in the same vein as KOTOR) does still have a brand new cast, ships, etc. The newness seems to be what excites them about the project.

Presumably some duplicated planets, but so did KOTOR.

Jul 19, 2020
I cannot imagine still being this heated about TLJ six years on and after TROS was so much worse in almost every way, and permanently ruined almost anything you could have liked in TFA to begin with.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
And multiple other movies. Disney isn't going to wait almost a decade for a sequel trilogy. He has all but said he has quit the job. He made the deal with Netflix for a lot of money. He basically has a lot of creative freedom. He got a very good deal here. He isn't going to come back to Star Wars knowing just how much studio management there is.
I don't think they're too fussed about any particular trilogy at the moment based on the rest of the article. Disney+ is the focus for the foreseeable future while they try to figure out the movie side of things.

I agree with you RE: his Netflix deal, I'd be riding that paycheque as long as it lasts. But FWIW TLJ had a super smooth production, contrary to other Disney-era Star Wars movies. Lucasfilm and RJ had a great relationship. I think if anything is to blame its the crazy fan backlash to the film after the fact. I wouldn't blame Johnson for wanting to hop into 3 more movies of that.

The worse reality is the one where RJ is totally down to make more Star Wars and Lucasfilm is the one getting cold feet. Hope we aren't living in that one.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
TLJ debates always funny as hell. Get to sit back and relax and enjoy the show. I'm chilling since I know I got my RotS sequel coming in 10 days

GG-Duo

Oct 27, 2017
This is actually good. I liked Episode 8, but I don't have any faith in how Disney handles the balance between old and new Star Wars at this point... so for Rian to do new things with it now is just asking for trouble.

Let Disney try some things out, figure out what they want to do with the franchise, and then have that discussion again.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Think this is relevant too.

Kennedy wanted to dispense with the annual deadline and reconsider everything. The most important lesson they'd learned was this: Star Wars required a greater degree of professional devotion from filmmakers. "Anyone who comes into the Star Warsuniverse needs to know that it's a three-, four-, five-year commitment," she says. "That's what it takes. You can't step in for a year and shoot something and then walk away…. It requires that kind of nurturing."

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't a fan of The Last Jedi, but I'd say this is good moreso in that I think the series needs to put on the brakes and stop spamming content. They should focus on quality rather than quantity to be sure that the next trilogy that eventually comes feels like a major event again and not just part of an unending stream.

This 'backburner' being mentioned in the same breath as some other star wars movies being developed doesn't give me much hope that they are throttling back though.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He's a talented guy but TLJ sucked and Star Wars in general sucks now.

This trilogy might still happen but I think it would be better for him if he wasn't tied down to the franchise for another three movies.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
long time coming but I'm pretty much done with Star Wars after Obi-Wan I think. Last Jedi was flawed but nothing the IP has put out since has come close to its entertainment value. Seeing Lucasfilm flail around with the series isn't surprising at this point but man.

Hope his Knives Out sequels are good.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
No great surprise, he has moved onto better things and he makes too many nerds foam at the mouth for Lucasfilm to bring him back.

I expect the Rogue Squadron movie will get canned too. Just not what the film franchise needs right now. It needs something totally new. Not yet another story based around an old idea.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
If they want to wait for Rian to get done with Knives Out 2 and 3, I can understand that. Super looking forward to those films.

But of everything Star Wars yet to come, what I am looking forward to most is his trilogy. Here's hoping it doesn't take too long to come out.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've requested a title change to this:

Kathleen Kennedy on Rian Johnson's Star Wars project: "Rian has been unbelievably busy with Knives Out and" his Netflix multi-movie deal

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
The worse reality is the one where RJ is totally down to make more Star Wars and Lucasfilm is the one getting cold feet. Hope we aren't living in that one.

That's the one we're living in.

I'm expecting the same to happen to Jenkins after WW84. Rogue Squad will quietly go into limbo and lean towards being cancelled. If Jenkin's next films do gangbusters, they'll reconnect if there is interest still. I expect the same with Johnson. Unlike Trank, GOT dudes, and Trevorrow, they didn't outright shit the bed where no one wanted them anymore.

Last edited:

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022
It's pretty annoying that after so much time and money spent, TROS turned out like it did. I can't even think of a good excuse. Johnson's series had a lot of potential though, so that's a bummer.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
Hated his SW movie (and Rise before anyone jumps on me) but I adored Knives Out so keep making those please.

Ghostswillpass

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's still so funny seeing people still getting mad about TLJ, like in the entire canon of Star Wars that's the one people are most angry about?

This is why we're just getting rehash after rehash in the recent shows, anything remotely different and 'fans' are in uproar so they just provide the same safe shit over and over again.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
he made the last interesting Star Wars content tbh. damn shame. Mandalorian is a fun background watch but can't say I'm particularly enthused about this franchise and the direction its taken Rise of Skywalker-onwards.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
It's still so funny seeing people still getting mad about TLJ, like in the entire canon of Star Wars that's the one people are most angry about?

This is why we're just getting rehash after rehash in the recent shows, anything remotely different and 'fans' are in uproar so they just provide the same safe shit over and over again.
That movie killed a lot of love in me for SW.