• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KenOD

Oct 25, 2017
New page, so new well wishes to Rayner and all others who have also done so or will do so.

I... I don't see a problem... If a corporation is inclusive and the boss supportive, what the hell is the problem?

It can feel to some like it's only being done for the sake of good publicity, rather than earnest support. Putting on a show basically.

I don't believe it is the case here, but it has happened before and there are still many in the industry who have sadly been driven out even if the initial message was "good for you" in the past. Still many who see it done for some type of people, but not other types of people.

Not speaking for cursed beef there, just a general statement based off what I have heard and seen before.

cursed beef

Jan 3, 2021
I... I don't see a problem... If a corporation is inclusive and the boss supportive, what the hell is the problem?

Woah there, pal. The problem is it feels in service of the corporation not the person. She name checks Microsoft, her role, and the studio she works at. Why? I'm sure a large part is due to her being proud to work there and happy that they support her. But it's also to promote a favourable image of Microsoft as a company. Somewhere, in a board meeting, some line on some graph showed that being inclusive (which: yes, good) equals more revenue. So initiatives were put in place to promote this kind of thing.

Like I said, I'm glad Kate can live her life exactly the way she wants but there are so many people who can't, whose identities have been invalidated over and over for years and years by billion dollar corporations totally uninterested in their well being. People who did the work, wrote the rulebooks, got the message out, only for the corporations that oppressed them to swoop in last minute and co-opt their struggle for profit.

It's the overriding sense that people can't just be people in this capitalist hellscape: they have to be their work, they have to be their brands.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Happy for her and it's good to see Spencer support her. Kate is at a rank and level of technical aptitude that can hopefully inspire others.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Woah there, pal. The problem is it feels in service of the corporation not the person. She name checks Microsoft, her role, and the studio she works at. Why? I'm sure a large part is due to her being proud to work there and happy that they support her. But it's also to promote a favourable image of Microsoft as a company. Somewhere, in a board meeting, some line on some graph showed that being inclusive (which: yes, good) equals more revenue. So initiatives were put in place to promote this kind of thing.

Like I said, I'm glad Kate can live her life exactly the way she wants but there are so many people who can't, whose identities have been invalidated over and over for years and years by billion dollar corporations totally uninterested in their well being. People who did the work, wrote the rulebooks, got the message out, only for the corporations that oppressed them to swoop in last minute and co-opt their struggle for profit.

It's the overriding sense that people can't just be people in this capitalist hellscape: they have to be their work, they have to be their brands.

Maybe she just felt more comfortable doing it that way. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hidys

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So happy for her!

I'm so glad she gets to live her most authentic life ^.^

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
I am always glad to see people doing what they need to in order to feel more like themselves, and for their friends/coworkers/industry to support them.

Congratulations to her!

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017

I understand, but I have to disagree on the PR part. It was Phil, and not the official Xbox account which has more followers, who published this tweet. And on a day outside of pride month. No silly money spent on advertising and whatnot which could have been sent to lgbtq+ charities.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe she's just happy to work for a company that let's her live her life and are actually supportive of her decisions?

SnowHawk

Oct 28, 2017
England
Xbox Twitter replies are as toxic as expected.

Good for her for coming out and I hope she is happier now that she has!

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL

Please don't police someone's deeply personal message or their co-workers show of support. This means a lot to them and you're just playing thought police, and for what?

nobody should read a thread like this and come away worried about how they phrase their coming out to not be too corporate.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Good for her. I'd spoke to Kate in the past about Gears 5's HDR. A Really smart person

cursed beef

Jan 3, 2021
Please don't police someone's deeply personal message or their co-workers show of support. This means a lot to them and you're just playing thought police, and for what?

nobody should read a thread like this and come away worried about how they phrase their coming out to not be too corporate.

Policing? I made a post on a forum about the ways in which corporations co-opt the message of the oppressed. Perhaps this thread wasn't the place to do it, fair enough. But policing? That's a stretch. I don't have the power to police.

Look, all I'll say, as a closeted trans person: If and when I come out I will not name drop my employer. Maybe co-workers who were supportive, yes, just not the company. BUT that's me. I thought I was just extending the topic of conversation but I made it about me instead of celebrating Kate's triumph (which it very much is) so I'll shut up now. Sorry for being self-centred.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Policing? I made a post on a forum about the ways in which corporations co-opt the message of the oppressed. Perhaps this thread wasn't the place to do it, fair enough. But policing? That's a stretch. I don't have the power to police.

Separate individuals from the systemic.

We're talking about individuals here. The support is a good thing. Period.

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
Wow Really amazing for a company like Microsoft and Phil Spencer to be behind her!!

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 Month): transphobia, misgendering a trans person
Good for her/ him/ both.

A Path Finder

Developer at ioi
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
This is great! So happy for her.

And good on Phil and Xbox to show their support. It really means something when one of the biggest brands in the world dares to take a stand and say what they believe in.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
giphy.gif

Good for her!

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats to her. She is incredibly talented and one of the main reasons why The Coalition are so good with UE.

Bathory

Dec 8, 2020
Really Happy for Kate, congrats to her and she deservers all the best. Hope to see more trans people working in the industry and more love and respect in the gaming space.

Dec 11, 2017
I can't wait to see Gears 6 (or whatever) running on Unreal Engine 5. Kate's team delivered top tier results last generation.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

maybe she's genuinely pleased by the support MS has given her and maybe this type of promotion will be beneficial to others who are unable to live there lives without having their identity invalidated.

:Motorbass

Oct 28, 2017
Happy for her even if I'm not familiar with her.

While Googling her, I accidentally got to the old place thread about this and WOW don't go there if you don't want your day ruined. It's basically the polar opposite of this thread. OMG

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018

Thank you. That comment really put me off.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Happy for her even if I'm not familiar with her.

While Googling her, I accidentally got to the old place thread about this and WOW don't go there if you don't want your day ruined. It's basically the polar opposite of this thread. OMG

Christ, you were not kidding. Did that place just go hyper right wing or something after all that went down?