• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
uhQqzbd.png

CnGAlyN.png

Platform(s): Switch, PC, Xbox One
Release Date:
PC/Switch: April 18th, 2019
Xbox One: October 15th, 2020​
Genre: Action
Price: $14.99
Player(s): 1
Format: Digital
Developer: Askiisoft
Publisher: Devolver Digital
Size: 200 MB

eHx0iqt.png

What is Katana Zero?
"Katana ZERO is a stylish neo-noir, action-platformer featuring breakneck action and instant-death combat. Slash, dash, and manipulate time to unravel your past in a beautifully brutal acrobatic display."

How long is it?
~4 hours going off reviews.

So you get one life?
Yes, you can only take one hit before you "die" and the screen resets (an unlimited amount of times).

World progression?
Katana Zero is a level based action game similar to Hotline Miami.

Are enemy placements random?
Enemy behavior can vary from restart to restart but their positions are set. Askiisoft is planning on adding a speedrun mode post-launch to make things more consistent.

Can you turn off the screen shaking?
Yes, there's an option in the menu to decrease and outright eliminate screen shaking.

DualShock 4 layout?
Yes, the game has button layouts for DualShock 4 as well as the Xbox One controller.

Game Pass?
Yes, the game is part of Game Pass on both PC and Xbox One. If you are an active member of that service you can play Ikenfell for no extra cost when it launches on that service on October 15th.

HSQXHE9.png

ss_c269a57182b021d2aac2bb8d42421d0ef301360d.600x338.jpg
ss_d4f8ef350ac44c096f8137208c381cac31e68242.600x338.jpg

ss_fce2aae6d24fbca70a8196e04f66c51d49a353b0.600x338.jpg
ss_9c5b43f5a2ab00b35857b8ccb0c4a24a9755091f.600x338.jpg

ZPfClu8.png

Metacritic (Switch) - TBA

Easy Allies 8.0/10

Attack of the fanboy 3.5/5
https://attackofthefanboy.com/reviews/katana-zero-review/
Katana Zero is a fantastic 2D action game, it's a great stealth game, and it has an interesting story and universe. The action is fast, fluid, and will have you coming back for more over and over again. But this is just a taste of what could be. Replayability through the story doesn't translate into the gameplay. Levels are crafted more for one-and-done style runs than more open and strategic attacks. Katana Zero leaves a solid impression, but it's not clear yet if it will be a lasting one.

Gamespot 8/10
https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/katana-zero-review-slow-motion-samurai/1900-6417126/
The uncertain future of the story that Katana Zero so brilliantly sets up is concerning, but that shouldn't deter you from diving into this compelling introductory chapter. Its combat provides an exciting challenge that tests both strategy and reflex, while also giving you clever abilities to make it as stylish as possible. The narrative contextualization of both your abilities and role within Katana Zero's world is expertly written, with a clever dialogue system letting you inject personality into character interactions. Katana Zero is bloody and brutal, but it's also a heartfelt tale that you shouldn't overlook lightly.

mIKFVI4.png

Official Site
Nintendo Switch
Steam
GOG

Last edited:

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Nice OT. Didn't know it was out today. Dig the look, gameplay & premise.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
Nice OT, thanks for making it. Really looking forward to some impressions, I have a good feeling about this one.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Preloaded it a couple of weeks ago along with Cuphead. Got a flight to Paris with Katana Zero written all over it.

DigitalT

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really conflicted whether to get this on PC or Switch, mostly worried about handheld performance

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Crazy how long ago this was announced, I remember it was originally going to be put out by Adult Swim games, and I was concerned it was cancelled when they parted ways with the developer. Glad to see it's being put out by such a good pub, hope it turns out well.

Rehynn

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
Thanks for the OT, super-excited about the game. I can definitely see the reviews not end up being as glowing as I hope, but unless there's fundamental issues with the game (which, based on the trailers, is hard to imagine), I'm in.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Cool OT. Waiting to read bunch of impressions and will most likely buy it. The little gameplay i have seen was great and the game's fast-paced combat is right up my alley. They should have let some streamers to play the game early and build up a little hype.

Rehynn

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
How were the dev's previous games received? I remember briefly looking into one of them but not finding too many reviews for it.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if we are getting some reviewes for this today or did the reviewers have to wait to play like us

DarkPrince

Dec 2, 2017
Game has looked amazing since I first saw it and it's finally here. Now my only concern is switch performance, please be good, please.

HomespunFur

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only a few levels in but im living it so far, just feels really good to play.
And the music is pretty cool

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
Ooooh this looks amazing! Any reason to go with PC version over Switch? (E.g. performance concerns etc).

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Review round-up so far:

Screen Rant: 10
Nintendo World Report: 9
Dualshockers: 9
Heypoorplayer: 9
USgamer: 9
We got this covered: 9
IGN: 8.7
Easy Allies: 8
Gamespot: 8
Game Informer: 7.8
Nintendo Everything: Thumbs up: Few games have left me as utterly engrossed as Katana Zero has with its intoxicating mixture of fine-tuned gameplay and a well-told story. Whether you're looking for the next great indie darling or the latest example of the power of storytelling in games, then yes, Katana Zero should work for you. It's among the most remarkable experiences I've had the pleasure of having on Switch.

Current Metascore (Switch version): 8.3

Looking goooood...

Plus, here's the launch trailer:

Last edited:

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Had this and Cuphead preloaded since the last Nindies Presentation. Looking forward to it this weekend :)

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Review round-up so far:

Screen Rant: 10
Nintendo World Report: 9
Dualshockers: 9
Heypoorplayer: 9
Easy Allies: 8
Gamespot: 8
Game Informer: 7.8
Nintendo Everything: Thumbs up: Few games have left me as utterly engrossed as Katana Zero has with its intoxicating mixture of fine-tuned gameplay and a well-told story. Whether you're looking for the next great indie darling or the latest example of the power of storytelling in games, then yes, Katana Zero should work for you. It's among the most remarkable experiences I've had the pleasure of having on Switch.

Looking goooood...

Plus, here's the launch trailer:

We fucking did it chief

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Good reviews, getting on switch, now have to decide which to play first katana or cuphead

Fordy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not normally sensitive, but that screen shake doesn't agree with me in those videos. Hopefully it can be dialled back.