• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
So according to devolver digital , katana zero has been refused classification in Australia and new zealand

So much for that r18 classification , without knowing why they rejected it , It doesn't look more violent then doom or hotline Miami (ironically 1 is not banned , 2 is banned here).

I am assuming drug use or something ? Hopefully they can resubmit it without too many changes.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn thats a shame hopefully they can sort this out. Otherwise can you not bypass this with region stores?

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck. I was really looking forward to this game. It never ends. At least I can play MK without having to import it...

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
I was wondering why that wasn't showing up on the eshop.

Guess fantasy drugs are too much for our government to handle. Denying real-world refugees basic human rights is totally OK though. Fuck this depraved amoral government.

Going to have to whip out my VPN again, I did it for Hotline Miami 2.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck. I was really looking forward to this game. It never ends. At least I can play MK without having to import it...
It's weird mortal kombat is fine but this not? I wonder what logic they use to even approve of games. Honestly if it gets released fine mostly world wide elsewhere just approve it.

Oct 25, 2017
If anything, such a decision is sometimes anticipated by the publisher.

Some may even factor it into their marketing for the title. Off the top of my head (talking AAA here) Saint's Row and South Park got a lot of digital ink spilt over Aussie laws.

Devolver is itself a bigger name these days and probably wouldn't be too averse to the raised profile either.

I am disappointed, I wish those involved with the game best of luck, but the cynic inside me can't help but think of this tinfoil hat stuff every time this happens. It typically would also happen with mediocre titles, but this game looks like it has some quality about it.

OP
OP
Ausroachman

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird mortal kombat is fine but this not? I wonder what logic they use to even approve of games. Honestly if it gets released fine mostly world wide elsewhere just approve it.

We supposedly have an r18 to cover exactly these types of games , yet for some reason , some pixelated drug use is too much for us adults to handle .

It surely cannot be for violence as Mortal Kombat etc get through fine

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most likely drug related.
The Australian ratings board pretty much auto-blocks anything that rewards you with drugs or for using drugs. Fallout 3 got hit with a ban initially because of it.

That didn't actually happen though, did it?
Honestly, I remember it coming up in our news so I don't doubt it got somehow distorted. It did sound like something Australia would do though.

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
Do you even need a rating to digitally sell indie games through Steam? I know for a fact a lot of indies just don't get a rating at all.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We supposedly have an r18 to cover exactly these types of games , yet for some reason , some pixelated drug use is too much for us adults to handle .

It surely cannot be for violence as Mortal Kombat etc get through fine
Violence is pretty much fine now, it was probably due to drug use providing a gameplay reward. It's usually something like that.
I see that makes kinda sense but still yeah i think adults should be able to handle that fine. I doubt someone would go on drugs because of a pixelated game.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
With the Ice epidemic going on, I imagine they're just super keen to avoid anything drug related.

yeah, nah. it's probs the same old the classifications board is constrained by rules which render interactive drug use an auto-ban shit that's been going since, what, fallout 3?

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
South park used the below pic to get over the censorship...

south-park-censored-text-500x322.jpg

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Aye, I meant that, but also that I'd imagine it would make them particularly inflexible on the point of late.

maybe, but certainly not even the lnp have latched onto the ice epidemic as something to push around right now, and we're right on the wave of an election cycle. i doubt it would have much effect on the classifications board if any

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
It isn't banned, it just had it's rating application rejected, so they're resubmitting with updated information/more specific info, and it'll probably just come out at a higher rating.

Tsunamo

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure if it got resolved, but you seem to be able to buy it from steam so I guess for the time being it's okay to be sold on steam at least.