• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
SOURCE: https://www.gematsu.com/2020/02/katana-kami-a-way-of-the-samurai-story-coming-west-on-february-20
SOURCE 2: https://blog.us.playstation.com/202...tory-hits-ps4-february-20-free-dlc-to-follow/

Katana-Kami_02-13-20.jpg

You play as a Samurai who agrees to help the blacksmith who has had his daughter taken away as collateral for defaulting on his debt. In order to repay your debt faster, you have the possibility to stroke conflicts between the three factions in order to drive up commerce. You can literally decide to play as a capitalist overlord who creates an all-out war for his profit. This is some Akira Kurosawa shit.
The rest of the game seems to play like Recettear, you get materials at night, you forge during the day. It has Way of the Samurai gameplay which means it has a lot of depth and pushes you to be very precise rather than spamming attacks, the same great music by Asakura (who worked on Sekiro) and it seems a lot of the freedom from the main series is being offered, as you still have the option to apologize at every moment (you grovel in apology, sometimes it can help you like if you weren't able to meet the debt repayment deadline and ask for an extension).

The blog post from playstation confirms there is online play for the dungeons

Anyway, it seems great. I really hope it delivers.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow. Never heard of this before but it sounds really interesting. As a fan of wots I'm gonna have to check it out.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Is that a top down view? Weird camera angle. The description sounds great but the footage didn't do much for me.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent, was hoping for this to come over. Will buy day-one pending price and overall impressions (just want to make sure it's not a disaster or anything).

Fake edit: Hm, retail price in Japan seems to be 3,890 yen. Wonder if that'll translate to $39.99 here or if it'll be cheaper?

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Where did this come from? Looks and sounds pretty cool, may pick this up. I am glad the Way of the Samurai franchise is still around.

Deleted member 43810

User requested account closure
Banned
May 23, 2018
Excellent, was hoping for this to come over. Will buy day-one pending price and overall impressions (just want to make sure it's not a disaster or anything).

Fake edit: Hm, retail price in Japan seems to be 3,890 yen. Wonder if that'll translate to $39.99 here or if it'll be cheaper?

It's 29,99$, see the article on Gematsu.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
It's 29,99$, see the article on Gematsu.

Oh damn, I read the Gematsu article but I must've skipped over that part. Alright, $30 is definitely workable as long as the game is decent. Tentatively excited!

EDIT: Apparently Steam and Switch get a 10% launch discount, according to the launch trailer's description. Wonder if PS4 doesn't get one at all, or if it'll have a PS+ discount and that's why they didn't mention it?

Last edited:

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
Semi-related but is there any licensing or rights issues standing in the way of bringing WoTS 1 and 2 to modern platforms?

The Dink

Oct 28, 2017
Kind of wish that trailer focused on the features mentioned in OP's description because just combat footage isn't doing it for me.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I hope this runs well on Switch. Doesn't look like it should have any problems.

Semi-related but is there any licensing or rights issues standing in the way of bringing WoTS 1 and 2 to modern platforms?

Well the old games were published by Spike who are Spike Chunsoft now so that shouldn't be a problem. Might be a problem publishing them in the west though since they were all done by different companies. Unless Spike Chunsoft retains all the rights to the English scripts.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I didn't expect them to announce an English release just one week before the game comes out. it got announced at TGS and since that I'm very much looking forward to it. I love the Way of the Samurai series and I'm pumped to find out how this new game or "spin-off" (for the lack of a better term I guess?) turns out.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Well the old games were published by Spike who are Spike Chunsoft now so that shouldn't be a problem. Might be a problem publishing them in the west though since they were all done by different companies. Unless Spike Chunsoft retains all the rights to the English scripts.
Way of the Samurai 2 was actually published by Capcom in the US iirc.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
By the way, in Japan the game has a CERO Z rating, the highest possible age rating. I wonder why. Perhaps you can decapitate enemies and cut off limbs? On the other hand, as far as I know, even with a CERO Z rating you cannot show decapitation in videogames in Japan. Perhaps it's because of some of the story details, like the main protagonist pretty much blackmailing the smithy to agree rescuing his daughter?

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017

The PC versions of 3 and 4 are available on gog.com, so I don't see why there would be an issue.

ScOULaris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only a week away? What an awesome surprise! I thought we'd have to wait quite a while longer before this saw a stateside release.

Day 1 purchase for me. This looks like an awesome WotS spin-off.

Dec 23, 2017
49522768788_99a5d91cb4_h.jpg

Hold the phone, I know that guy in the middle.

If I remember right that's Mr. Beniya from Way of the Samurai 2.

Also:

Katana-Kami-A-Way-of-the-Samurai-Story_2020_02-13-20_008.jpg

''Definitely a blade for weirdos.''

Ah yes, Kyojiro's sword from Way of the Samurai 2. :)

Last edited:

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017

$29.99 with launch week 10% discount for Switch/PC.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Its not a new WotS but hopefully it can scratch that itch while we wait for WotS 5 which is coming

never because Spike-Chunsoft hates it

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Good. Unexpected that they would bring it over so quickly, though I am not complaining.

I know it's not part of the main series, but I hope there's a fair amount of room for just messing around and doing silly stuff.

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the question isnt whether I buy it, its if I'm buying it on 2 platforms or not. I'll support this series till my grave.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
So Ukiyo no Shishi/Roushi are super dead, huh? They definitely looked more interesting that this thing.

Soulstar

Oct 25, 2017
I love the Way of the Samurai games so I'll definitely check this one out. Can you play as a female character in this one?

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I never even heard of this game/series, but I love the Way of the Samurai games, and for $30, I'm definitely sold

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Unclear if this has branching story lines of a WotS game, but if it does I'm way in.

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unclear if this has branching story lines of a WotS game, but if it does I'm way in.
well we do know it has 3 factions(? i think or at the least three groups) which are the three from the first game. Hell the main protag from the original is helping the towns people.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A new Way of the Samurai? Wow.

What happened to that SpikeChunsoft game that marketed itself as not being WotS? It came out for Vita and PS3 as two different games, iirc. Always wanted to play that.