• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone tried returning to the title screen during a dungeon? I'm currently stuck inside a wall on B10 and I was hoping that maybe quitting to the title and coming back would get me unstuck. Would really rather not lose all my stuff on a boss floor. :(

EDIT: Okay, it just resets you to the beginning of the current floor. Phew, crisis averted.

EDIT 2: Another question, then. Is there any benefit to paying your debt installment early? I've got more than enough to pay it and there's still 5 days until it's due. If I pay it early, does the time remaining get added to the next installment's due date?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
Has anyone tried returning to the title screen during a dungeon? I'm currently stuck inside a wall on B10 and I was hoping that maybe quitting to the title and coming back would get me unstuck. Would really rather not lose all my stuff on a boss floor. :(

EDIT: Okay, it just resets you to the beginning of the current floor. Phew, crisis averted.

EDIT 2: Another question, then. Is there any benefit to paying your debt installment early? I've got more than enough to pay it and there's still 5 days until it's due. If I pay it early, does the time remaining get added to the next installment's due date?

Hmm, I remember hearing that if Beniya likes you enough, he may give you more time to make a payment if you miss the deadline. It's possible paying debt early increases his happiness towards Dojima.

Does anyone got to the credits? I need to know who are the composers

This is all I could find:
9FECAAEFC3A6BB853576DBA73F45A2E50D393AFA

313E23DC3695E7706034088D2C20E3148E9653E9

Last edited:

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Paid off the second-to-last installment and still have enough left over to pay off the last and get Nanami back. Holding off for a few days so I can get one more gift from her, though. Question for anyone who's gotten her back and done the next part:

I know once you get her back, you have to hire her as a bodyguard and go to the area after B20, which starts the next phase of the game. But during that period in-between, after getting her back but before going to B20, do you have no time limits at all? If not I was thinking about using that time to farm up some swords/gold in preparation for the next part of the game before continuing.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
So how do I save the game? I just started, and I entered the tree for the second time just now. I figured when I sleep it saves, but I didnt see any indication.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
So how do I save the game? I just started, and I entered the tree for the second time just now. I figured when I sleep it saves, but I didnt see any indication.
It saves all the time automatically, you can see the circle on the top left.

Hmm, I remember hearing that if Beniya likes you enough, he may give you more time to make a payment if you miss the deadline. It's possible paying debt early increases his happiness towards Dojima.

This is all I could find:
9FECAAEFC3A6BB853576DBA73F45A2E50D393AFA

313E23DC3695E7706034088D2C20E3148E9653E9
Thanks!

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017

Like any roguelike, the game saves automatically after most interactions. Look for the blue circle in the corner to indicate saving.

Typically it'll save after every floor transition and death.

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
Well I finally reached the absolute bottom of the Jikai last night. That was a wild, and sometimes frustrating ride.

I reached floor 99, Kitcho was with me as a bodyguard. Surprisingly he wasn't too helpful, his damage isn't that great but atleast he distracted some enemies for me.

Right now I'm on the hunt for disguises. I managed to get the Sensei disguise so now I can play as her which is really cool. Unlocked Chelsea and Kitcho disguises, along with Black Mask and Orochi disguises too. Just now I unlocked Shuten-doji disguise, pretty cool!

Edit: Editted the OP with a new review.

Last edited:

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Going to be jumping into this one very soon. Excited!
It's an Acquire game, so expect their trademark jank and confusing menus/structure.

But something keeps me coming back to the game, doing a run or two each day. It's a pretty easy game, and the sword-based combat is pretty satisfying despite the jank. So I keep coming back for some low-stress slicing and dicing.

Plus, I had to buy this game on principle to send the message to Acquire that we need more samurai/ninja games from them again. Especially on Switch!

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Phew. While I do think that the game is generally pretty easy for a Roguelite, I just had my first brush with death. I had my two best swords on me at the time while doing a run to boost a new ninja sword that I had recently acquired, and then suddenly I found myself in an area SWARMING with those cat enemies that spawn smaller helpers. I was quickly surrounded and had to fight for my LIFE to not lose everything.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
So it definitely matters what you send to Nanami as gifts while she's captured.

I kept sending Chick Rice Jelly since they're easy to come by and worth 15 points. When I finally got Nanami back, she was overweight.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Well I finally reached the absolute bottom of the Jikai last night. That was a wild, and sometimes frustrating ride.

I reached floor 99, Kitcho was with me as a bodyguard. Surprisingly he wasn't too helpful, his damage isn't that great but atleast he distracted some enemies for me.

Right now I'm on the hunt for disguises. I managed to get the Sensei disguise so now I can play as her which is really cool. Unlocked Chelsea and Kitcho disguises, along with Black Mask and Orochi disguises too. Just now I unlocked Shuten-doji disguise, pretty cool!

Edit: Editted the OP with a new review.

I just got to the "Sword room" and got booted back to the main hub, is there any secret to progress further?

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
I just got to the "Sword room" and got booted back to the main hub, is there any secret to progress further?

The sword room is where you need to find the real heirloom sword using Nanami to appraise the swords you pick up. To unlock more of the Jikai, you need to give Dojima the real heirloom sword and you need to buy the Bethrothal Gift for 500,000. Doing that will unlock even more areas of the Jikai, new body guards to hire, the last upgrades for the closet/storage/fashion and disguises.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
The sword room is where you need to find the real heirloom sword using Nanami to appraise the swords you pick up. To unlock more of the Jikai, you need to give Dojima the real heirloom sword and you need to buy the Bethrothal Gift for 500,000. Doing that will unlock even more areas of the Jikai, new body guards to hire, the last upgrades for the closet/storage/fashion and disguises.

Alright, I guess all that's left to do is grind money, any tips?

btw. is there any continuation to the...

lvl 20 blacksmith with kid? I gave him this weird swrod that dropped from Orochi and he gave me a blueprint for it, not sure if there's anything else to do with that subplot.

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
Alright, I guess all that's left to do is grind money, any tips?

btw. is there any continuation to the...

lvl 20 blacksmith with kid? I gave him this weird swrod that dropped from Orochi and he gave me a blueprint for it, not sure if there's anything else to do with that subplot.

When it comes to making money, you definitely want to stock up on a lot high quality swords. Try to start another faction war so the payouts start getting good and start sending out those high quality swords to the faction paying the most. You can go over the amount of swords they want for more money.

I don't know if Smithy Tenshion (Happiness meter towards Dojima) effects the amount they pay you.

As for the Mysterious Blacksmith after floor 20, I too gave him the sword Black Mask was looking for and got the blue print for it but I haven't figured out anything else.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Quick tip: If you do decide to go into debt/get Nanami taken again after paying off the first debt (I don't think this is a spoiler, one of the non-hidden trophies reveals you can do this), be sure to spend as much money as possible before doing so, as it wipes out all your money. Buy all the storage upgrades/costumes, go to the hidden blacksmith and buy as many miracle medicines as you can from the vending machine there, and if you can, put on multiple purse accessories and have as much money as possible on your person when you go back into debt, as the money you have on you doesn't get taken. I managed to hold onto about 10,000 and it's given me a really good head start on the second debt.

Erikun

Jun 20, 2018
Does anyone know what happens if you chose "give up" in the menu? Do you return to the hub with all of the stuff you collected so far, or does it dissappear?

Erikun

Jun 20, 2018
You lose your stuff.
Okay thanks. Good to know. I was playing last night and after floor 11 I was looking for an exit because I had an inventory full of good stuff, and saw the choice in the menu and wondered what happened if you chose it. I was too scared of losing my stuff so I ended fighting down to 15 and barely escaping with my life through the exit after a curse area. It was so scary! haha

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, so after paying off the debt for a third time, I've now ended up with a tanned/blonde Nanami. So that's at least four different versions you can possibly get (normal, overweight, Dojima-face, and tan/blonde). I wonder if that's all or if there's more?

Anyway, with that all done, I'm looking forward to going through the rest of the game at a bit more of a casual pace. It's nice not having the debt repayment time limit hanging over my head.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Sooooo... Death God... he's a wimp.

I entered Jikai 1st floor, level 1 with no vitality, smacked him only once with Kiwami counter and he was dead. Thanks for the scythe though!

Edit: just noticed I instantly got to level 11 by killing him, thanks again! I'll see you later, most definitely.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sooooo... Death God... he's a wimp.

I entered Jikai 1st floor, level 1 with no vitality, smacked him only once with Kiwami counter and he was dead. Thanks for the scythe though!

Edit: just noticed I instantly got to level 11 by killing him, thanks again! I'll see you later, most definitely.

Can confirm, same just happened to me(except for the Kiwami point).

Got the blueprint for the scythe too!

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, I finally paid off my debt but how do I...

Can bring Nanami with me? I once read you must hire her as a bodyguard, but she doesn't show up on the list. I really want to finally unlock more dungeon floors... Also Dojima that fool talked about building a statue. I told him that nobody wants to see his ugly face, so hopefully he won't build it... I don't want to go in debt again, LOL.

Edit: Nevermind. I just talked to her again after talking to Dojima about the marriage and now I can hire her as a bodyguard. Nice!

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, so after paying off the debt for a third time, I've now ended up with a tanned/blonde Nanami. So that's at least four different versions you can possibly get (normal, overweight, Dojima-face, and tan/blonde). I wonder if that's all or if there's more?

Anyway, with that all done, I'm looking forward to going through the rest of the game at a bit more of a casual pace. It's nice not having the debt repayment time limit hanging over my head.

Oh no I just got Nanami back it's ganguro Nanami...

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a trick to reliably picking loot up?

I am constantly overshooting it several times because of the animation easing.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
My Nanami ended up normal even though I have her a lot of food items. I wonder if it's random? Apparently she can change depending on her mood too, at least the tutorial said so.

Speaking of: Can you heal bodyguards outside of them levelling up? Because she just stepped on a trap and lost some health. I don't want her to die...

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
My Nanami ended up normal even though I have her a lot of food items. I wonder if it's random? Apparently she can change depending on her mood too, at least the tutorial said so.

Speaking of: Can you heal bodyguards outside of them levelling up? Because she just stepped on a trap and lost some health. I don't want her to die...

Yeah, tell them to wait. They will start to heal 5 hp a second, but talk to them again and tell them to "Don't Move''. Then they'll start recovering 10 hp a second.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, tell them to wait. They will start to heal 5 hp a second, but talk to them again and tell them to "Don't Move''. Then they'll start recovering 10 hp a second.

Oh nice! This will come in handy, thank you! By the way, about having Nanami with me:

Any specific dialogue option I have to pick after floor 20? I assume it'll be the same to triggered the cutscene. Or maybe it will all happen automatically. In the last runs the smithy didn't even talk to me, just "...".

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
Oh nice! This will come in handy, thank you! By the way, about having Nanami with me:

Any specific dialogue option I have to pick after floor 20? I assume it'll be the same to triggered the cutscene. Or maybe it will all happen automatically. In the last runs the smithy didn't even talk to me, just "...".

Not that I know of, I think just having Nanami with you when you go talk to the Mysterious Blacksmith will open up new areas of the Jikai. A set of stairs will appear to the far left of the map after you talk to the Mysterious Blacksmith with Nanami.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I seriously can't stop playing this game. It doesn't make the best first impression, but as the game's systems gradually unfold with each consecutive run and my sword collection continues to grow it pulls me in more and more.

Quick question, though. Should I be picking one faction to give my best swords to for their orders? Will that cause an imbalance that will yield more orders/money from the other factions? I'm a little unclear on that aspect of the game.

Also, at what point in the game does the Fugitive board start to populate? Or do I have to have online turned on for that to work?

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Man, finally seeing a new environment, unlocking new swords and more feels so great. I'm still in awe how much Way of the Samurai this game is. But instead of having a small village, you just have the hub area where all the stuff is happening. Cryptic stuff even, which you have to figure out on your own. Not gonna lie: I got a bit tired of the same 20 floors, but I'm super motivated again to dig deeper into the Jikai now. It feels like I'm finding more higher quality swords now too. Maybe that was because I had Nanami with me, though? Hard to tell.

About the thing that happens when you have 0 vitality:

I did defeat the Death God and got his weapon. Only quality level 4 though unfortunately. I guess I will try summoning him every time I go into the Jikai now. Killed him with one kiwami move. And I have 8 special medicines in case he does kill me. I didn't get the blueprint though unfortunately.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I was going to buy Underhero just now on Switch and saw this.
then I remembered the name - I own Way of the Samurai 3/4 on Steam but have never played them!
Should I just fire one of those up? This looks a bit different but it also looks like fun, and the Gamespew review was fairly positive on it. Oh and I like rogue likes and mysterious dungeon stuff :)

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Man, turning on the AI-controlled "ghosts" of other players really kinda breaks the game. I'm sitting on stacks of Nanami wallets and the accessory that expands your inventory by 20 slots. Not to mention several Quality 7 late-game swords.

At this point the way I handle runs is I'll start with four Wanderer Itachi equipped for a total 60% exp/skill exp boost, and then as my inventory fills up, replace them with inventory expansion accessories as needed (or Nanami wallets if I come across an AI ghost that drops a ton of gold).

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Post debt question

How far down is the Sword Room?

Just deciding whether I've had my fill or not.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a trick to reliably picking loot up?

I am constantly overshooting it several times because of the animation easing.

There's a specific Quest to kill a strange beast (it's a man with angel wings and a crotch swan) in Ipponmatsu. The crotch swan will automatically pick up anything that isn't a sword while in range.

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
Finally found the Biteikotsu blueprint, got it from a quest given by Mr. Beniya called ''Business Dealings''.

My favorite sword from Way of the Samurai 2.

hqdefault.jpg

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm calling it a day with the game, got "The End" card so I think I've got enough enjoyment out of it. I've played it for about 30 hours or so which is more than good enough for me.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, hold on...

...is the loss insurance permanent? That...kinda breaks the game. 4500 gold is way too cheap to never have to worry about losing your stuff ever again. Should have been a one-time use thing you have to re-buy after using it, with a much more expensive (say 100,000 or so) permanent option.

And you can't discard it, meaning the only way for me to get the trophy for getting your stuff back is to re-start with a new save. :(

EDIT: Ignore this post, I'm dumb.

Last edited:

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, hold on...

...is the loss insurance permanent? That...kinda breaks the game. 4500 gold is way too cheap to never have to worry about losing your stuff ever again. Should have been a one-time use thing you have to re-buy after using it, with a much more expensive (say 100,000 or so) permanent option.

And you can't discard it, meaning the only way for me to get the trophy for getting your stuff back is to re-start with a new save. :(
You sure it's permanent? I haven't purchased it yet, but that doesn't sound right. It would make an already easy game completely devoid of risk/tension.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
You sure it's permanent? I haven't purchased it yet, but that doesn't sound right. It would make an already easy game completely devoid of risk/tension.

Okay, just tested it and you're right, it's not. I think what threw me off is that I still had it despite knowing I've died since buying it, but that must've been when I was using cloud saves to test out the Nanami thing.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Welp, explored 100 floors of Mahoroba and I think I'm done for now.

At least until some secrets are spelled out more plainly.

Dojima secret, Lord Datara

Still haven't got those.