• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Finally!!!

394A44FA862B8E3DA13D191EAA18AC6B4D943D59

Nice, I'm also pretty close to paying it off. Do you know if it's possible to go beyond 20th floor?

Btw. did you know that the 20th floor blacksmith has a SECOND sword? I was pretty surprised when it dropped for me.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I love Shiren, dont know about theother series, but fell terrible of only hearing about this now, gotta check it out

Which version is better? Ps4 or switch? Also is going to have a physical version?

It's digital only in the west I'm afraid. Considering that the game does have some minor framerate dips in only a few areas on the base PS4, I would argue that the PS4 version is better than the Switch version. Some say it looks quite blurry in handheld mode too. I haven't checked it out, so I can only talk about the PS4 version.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
It's digital only in the west I'm afraid. Considering that the game does have some minor framerate dips in only a few areas on the base PS4, I would argue that the PS4 version is better than the Switch version. Some say it looks quite blurry in handheld mode too. I haven't checked it out, so I can only talk about the PS4 version.
Switch runs at 30 fps and does indeed look incredibly low-res in handheld. That said, this kind of game is great for portable play, so that's the version I went with.

buset

Jul 25, 2018

I have put in about seven hours on Switch now and I think it runs great, haven't even seen any frame rate drops to speak of besides the little jumping guy at the loading screen which occasionally hick-ups.

As for the game looking blurry, I dont know... Isn't that someone confusing either the youtube videos or the artstyle with something? Anyway, this seems fine as far as I'm concerned but thats obvs just my experience

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It's finally looking like a decent hub with all the shops and people roaming around.

I'm getting the hang of the game and its gameplay loop now, but I'm still kinda struggling with perfect dodge/block. Some enemies are easier than others.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
It just hit me this is Rokkotu Pass. This is the same out-of-the-way hut......

It also just hit me it's the same three factions too. Suzu is that girl from the village! So does this happen before or after 1?

I don't want them to slaughter each other though........

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
It's finally looking like a decent hub with all the shops and people roaming around.

I'm getting the hang of the game and its gameplay loop now, but I'm still kinda struggling with perfect dodge/block. Some enemies are easier than others.
The timing of the parry is so weird in this game, at least at 30fps on Switch. There's an odd delay after you initially press block, and then the parry window is like a full second before the enemy attacks. That said, chaining them together ala Onimusha's Issen mechanic is very satisfying despite the jank.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
The timing of the parry is so weird in this game, at least at 30fps on Switch. There's an odd delay after you initially press block, and then the parry window is like a full second before the enemy attacks. That said, chaining them together ala Onimusha's Issen mechanic is very satisfying despite the jank.

Is there some trick to chaining Kiwami? I've never gotten a second hit off of it.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Is there some trick to chaining Kiwami? I've never gotten a second hit off of it.

There's this *ping* sound effect once you successfully deflect/evade enemy, once executing your first Kiwami, wait precisely until you hear the second *ping*, then immediately hit attack button and repeat until all of your foes lie in utter defeat.

The timing speeds up with each consecutive kill.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Accesoires are your friend. There's a bigger purse than can hold over 2000 coins for example. There are other accessoires to increase your inventory capacity as well. It's definitely worth buying the upgrades to be able to wear more accessoires.

Where/how do you get the upgrade?

I've just done Floor 20 for the first time and it looks like things are about to really kick off in the overworld but not sure what I need to do to actually progress(other than pay the debt).

I've been relying on my 110 power Critso, going to try to get enough title books to add Butcher and get it over 200 power.... muwahaha

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Where/how do you get the upgrade?

I've just done Floor 20 for the first time and it looks like things are about to really kick off in the overworld but not sure what I need to do to actually progress(other than pay the debt).

I've been relying on my 110 power Critso, going to try to get enough title books to add Butcher and get it over 200 power.... muwahaha

One of the stores in the hub sells the upgrades. It's the middle one iirc (Akadama).

Glad to hear the positive Switch impressions. The game definitely is very well suited for quick dungeon runs while on the go in handheld mode.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Oh shit! I entered the Jikai with 0 vitality and...

The Dead God appeared. The tutorial says he's extremely powerful and you shouldn't even attempt fighting him. I wonder if you can beat him if you have a higher level though. The reward might be great? He was chasing me. Since I was on the very first flooe, I just killed 2 enemies to level up, which made him run away. Phew!

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One of the stores in the hub sells the upgrades. It's the middle one iirc (Akadama).

Glad to hear the positive Switch impressions. The game definitely is very well suited for quick dungeon runs while on the go in handheld mode.

Thanks, I'll have to check.

I've been playing the Switch version and it's fine(or good even). There are definitely framerate dips when there's a lot of enemies on screen and the occasional momentary stutter when something loads in(like a cursed room).

I'm not sure about resolution but it doesn't seem notably low...

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
Nice, I'm also pretty close to paying it off. Do you know if it's possible to go beyond 20th floor?

Btw. did you know that the 20th floor blacksmith has a SECOND sword? I was pretty surprised when it dropped for me.

Yeah! He dropped the REAL sword after I killed him with a high hit combo. He even dropped the blueprint for the Asaemon sword too.

As for unlocking more Jikai floors, I don't know yet but I read a comment somewhere that you need to bring Nanami with you to the Mysterious Blacksmith after defeating Nue.

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Woah!

I just did a run with the new colour wells. The red ones can be brutal but I got a treasure room and a neat purse that allows me to carry 2000 more coins Got it equipped now but I have 3 days to raise 20k now.:/

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
Woah!

I just did a run with the new colour wells. The red ones can be brutal but I got a treasure room and a neat purse that allows me to carry 2000 more coins Got it equipped now but I have 3 days to raise 20k now.:/

Make sure when your filling out sword orders that you send some high quality swords to the one that pays the most. :)

I made 5k+ from Kuroufu Family when they were in desperate need of swords.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Make sure when your filling out sword orders that you send some high quality swords to the one that pays the most. :)

Well it looks like things are about to kick off so I should see some money come in quick, looks like I'm going to get 6k+ from the next day.

I made quite a bit off the request for Donald.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017

I always did the auto thing, so I don't know if it automatically selected the high quality swords for those orders. That being said: It makes sense, that they're paying more for them. I thought it's a fixed price, though. Good to know! I also made the mistake smelting most of my high quality stuff (4 and above). Not anymore, will keep those for order and smelt the low quality stuff now. Tension is rising in my hub so I hope that business will be booming soon. I also killed clan members who were fighting each other and now the newspaper says that a serial killer is on the loose. And the descripton sounds awfully like me... Whoops!

I wonder if you can kill the unique characters. Donald attacked me. But after I kicked his ass, he ran away. It looks like I could've still attacked him, though...

It's funny how I first thought that the main goal would be to just rescue Nanami and then the game ends. But it looks like that's just the first step to a much bigger story. Still have to pay off the debt. I wonder if you can just slay that bastard, lol. His bodyguards are probably super tough.

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
I always did the auto thing, so I don't know if it automatically selected the high quality swords for those orders. That being said: It makes sense, that they're paying more for them. I thought it's a fixed price, though. Good to know! I also made the mistake smelting most of my high quality stuff (4 and above). Not anymore, will keep those for order and smelt the low quality stuff now. Tension is rising in my hub so I hope that business will be booming soon. I also killed clan members who were fighting each other and now the newspaper says that a serial killer is on the loose. And the descripton sounds awfully like me... Whoops!

I wonder if you can kill the unique characters. Donald attacked me. But after I kicked his ass, he ran away. It looks like I could've still attacked him, though...

It's funny how I first thought that the main goal would be to just rescue Nanami and then the game ends. But it looks like that's just the first step to a much bigger story. Still have to pay off the debt. I wonder if you can just slay that bastard, lol. His bodyguards are probably super tough.

I'm not 100% sure, but if you go around killing NPC's from a certain faction, I think they grow more disatisfied with Dojima.

I also witnessed some NPC's killing Kitcho from the Akadama Clan, the news paper said he was knocked unconsious and will make a full recovery.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
So I've noticed that Exit portals appear on certain floors alongside a Next portal rather than the usual Descend ones. What's up with these? Can't I just leave Jinkai at any time with the Give Up option and achieve the same thing as entering these Exit portals?

Ghil

Oct 27, 2017
I've started the game but on my PC it is not really playable. it's 60 but it dips pretty heavily every few seconds, down to the 30s, making everything super choppy. I tried putting everything to low, but that just made it go from 60 to 40 instead. Anyone else in the same boat?

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
I've started the game but on my PC it is not really playable. it's 60 but it dips pretty heavily every few seconds, down to the 30s, making everything super choppy. I tried putting everything to low, but that just made it go from 60 to 40 instead. Anyone else in the same boat?

Hmm, that's weird. I play on PC as well, but I only get the occassional slight hiccup in frame rate. I have not experienced any slow down.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
FWIW, I'm playing on PC, and I'm having no issues running the game at 1080p/144FPS max settings. GPU utilization is around 60%~ on my Vega 56.

Ghil

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm. Then maybe it's something to do with Optimus. I'm on a laptop, but it's a Geforce 1050 with a i7-7700HQ in there, so it should run it decently. I'll have to check with the devs then. Thanks for the replies!

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not 100% sure, but if you go around killing NPC's from a certain faction, I think they grow more disatisfied with Dojima.

I also witnessed some NPC's killing Kitcho from the Akadama Clan, the news paper said he was knocked unconsious and will make a full recovery.

That makes sense. I guess you can send gifts to them then to get their satisfaction up again. I'm currently supporting Post Town and Akadama. The latter are on high alert, demanding swords while Post Town's military force is rising. The third faction is on high alert but I'm currently not supporting them. Let's see how well that goes. Having booming business would definitely help, because damn: That's a lot of money I have to repay before what seems to be unlocking more dungeon floors. Getting a bit tired of the same 20 Floors so far to be honest.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm. Then maybe it's something to do with Optimus. I'm on a laptop, but it's a Geforce 1050 with a i7-7700HQ in there, so it should run it decently. I'll have to check with the devs then. Thanks for the replies!
You might need to go into the Nvidia control panel and force it to run off the 1050. I've had that issue a number of times where games will run off the intel graphics instead and most don't seem to give you the option to choose.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
This game's structure is so weird. On my second night I made it to the "bottom floor." That's it? Will the runs get longer or harder going forward?

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
This game's structure is so weird. On my second night I made it to the "bottom floor." That's it? Will the runs get longer or harder going forward?

For a long time the 20th floor is the last floor. Later you will unlock more areas and more floors. How you unlock them? Seems to be a mystery. But apparently it's tied to a cutscene you can trigger after reaching the 20th floor. There's definitely more areas, the trophy list hints at that.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Think I got screwed out of getting my stuff back after dying. Went on a run and saw a red portal for the first time. Took it and eventually died. Went to get my stuff back and apparently the creature I had to kill was on "Secret Forest Labyrinth 2 B3". I found another red portal, but this one took me to "Secret Forest Labyrinth 1". So as far as I know there's no way to 100% know which of the "secret" labyrinths the red portals will take you to. Completed the run and I guess you only get one run to get your stuff back? I thought it would persist until the next time you died.

Between this and still not really understanding what I'm doing when it comes to playing the factions against each other, not to mention the framerate issues in the deeper levels on base PS4, I kinda feel like I want to put this down. I like it, but there's just too many unclear elements that the game does a poor job of explaining.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Think I got screwed out of getting my stuff back after dying. Went on a run and saw a red portal for the first time. Took it and eventually died. Went to get my stuff back and apparently the creature I had to kill was on "Secret Forest Labyrinth 2 B3". I found another red portal, but this one took me to "Secret Forest Labyrinth 1". So as far as I know there's no way to 100% know which of the "secret" labyrinths the red portals will take you to. Completed the run and I guess you only get one run to get your stuff back? I thought it would persist until the next time you died.

Between this and still not really understanding what I'm doing when it comes to playing the factions against each other, not to mention the framerate issues in the deeper levels on base PS4, I kinda feel like I want to put this down. I like it, but there's just too many unclear elements that the game does a poor job of explaining.

As implied on the tutorial screen they are not completely gone:

I went through a red portal and ended up in a hidden village populated by monsters, there was a rat selling all the gear I had dropped when I died even though I had actually recovered it all

My first run in the red portal would have ended in death but I'd bought one of those medicines that resurrect you when you die. Got spawned in a room with about 30 Snow Women. ;_;

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
As implied on the tutorial screen they are not completely gone:

I went through a red portal and ended up in a hidden village populated by monsters, there was a rat selling all the gear I had dropped when I died even though I had actually recovered it all

My first run in the red portal would have ended in death but I'd bought one of those medicines that resurrect you when you die. Got spawned in a room with about 30 Snow Women. ;_;

That involves being able to get enough money to buy it all back, though. And without knowing how to trigger the "business is booming" state, I doubt I have much chance of that. I only made about 5k in the past five days. No idea how I'm going to come up with nearly 30,000 for the next payment.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
That involves being able to get enough money to buy it all back, though. And without knowing how to trigger the "business is booming" state, I doubt I have much chance of that. I only made about 5k in the past five days. No idea how I'm going to come up with nearly 30,000 for the next payment.

I think it's too late now, but there are insurance items you can buy from the vending machine. There is one that costs over 2000 coins (it's called premium insurance iirc) which lets you get your stuff back even after you died. Two after insurances cover getting everything back (but you have to buy it advance) while another one only recovers your swords but is a bit cheaper because of that. Just like the other one you have to buy it in advance though.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's too late now, but there are insurance items you can buy from the vending machine. There is one that costs over 2000 coins (it's called premium insurance iirc) which lets you get your stuff back even after you died. Two after insurances cover getting everything back (but you have to buy it advance) while another one only recovers your swords but is a bit cheaper because of that. Just like the other one you have to buy it in advance though.

Yeah, I know about those. Again though, I don't have the money for them. Or the storage upgrades I so desperately need. Or anything, really. I don't understand how to reliably make money and that's really hurting my enjoyment. I'm doing orders as they come in, doing quests as I'm able to, and...that's about it. Dojima boycotted one of the factions and I don't know why, or if that's even a bad thing, but it means one less faction giving me orders. And hell, the person who takes my gifts to Nanami stopped showing up, and I don't know why that happened either. It just feels like I never really know what I'm doing or why things are happening.

Tremis

Oct 29, 2017
What do the exclamation marks mean next to some weapons when you are looking at the forge inventory?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You have to identify some weapons, and those take "appraisal scrolls". Vitality is essentially hunger and can be refilled with daikons.

You only need the books if you want to do it in Jikai, if not you can have Dojima appraise them. Also you can eat the books, the appraisal one restored 500 Vitality but put me to sleep lol.

Also day before the deadline and I was still at <20,000 but then it turns out Post Town and Akadama are in open conflict and I got a business boom. Going to smash the target easily. All according to keikaku.

Tremis

Oct 29, 2017
I feel like there is a bug where if the closet if full of accessories, you can't store items even though it says there a slots left.

Edit: Nvm, I'm dumb.

Tremis

Oct 29, 2017
Dunno if just me, but the Switch version feels laggy. Like things aren't snappy. If I wiggle the analog, the character will slide around in an unpredictable way. I'm not sure if this is my controller drifting or what. Feels like considerable input delay or something.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Dunno if just me, but the Switch version feels laggy. Like things aren't snappy. If I wiggle the analog, the character will slide around in an unpredictable way. I'm not sure if this is my controller drifting or what. Feels like considerable input delay or something.
Just that trademark Acquire jank combined with 30fps.

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
What I've heard is -

Don't attack the man at the end of the dungeon, clear your debt, and take Nanami down to see the man with you.

Finally unlocked more of the Jikai.

Yeah, after you pay off all of Dojima's Debt, Nanami is unlocked as a Bodyguard for Hire. Make sure you take her with you and defeat Nue and reach the Mysterious Blacksmith. The story continues from there.

Also make sure you dont mistakenly take the tree exit. Apparently a set of stairs unlock to the far left of the map, take those to enter deeper into the Jikai.