• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 23, 2017
Katana-kami-a-way-of-the-samurai-ps4-release-date-1024x576.jpg

dopvz64.png

4QknC74.png

OuTdAdp.png

XhiRvTm.png

F6c3dVj.png

The Way of the Samurai is forged in battle!

Play as a ronin during Japan's Meiji Restoration in the volatile Rokkotsu Pass. The swordsmith Dojima falls into debt and his beautiful daughter is taken as collateral. Help repay the debt by crafting swords by day and exploring the mysterious, twisting dungeons of the Ipponmatsu Cave for valuable materials at night.

Key Features
  • Hone Your Skills - Over 100 different weapons and 9 fighting styles means you can fight any way you please!
  • Mysterious Dungeons - An isometric hack and slash with randomly-generated dungeons to explore in a historical Japanese setting.
  • Two Swords are Better Than One - Explore dungeons with others
  • Balance of Power - Ally, betray, or maintain neutrality in dealing with the town's three factions. The fate of Rokkotsu Pass is balanced by the tip of a blade!
  • Familiar Faces - Featuring fan favorite characters from the Way of the Samurai series!

WTvEQ2B.png

TU4tD3j.png

dsQWq6m.png

cNNSfJ0.png

mGyqvTp.png

noisypixel Review 7.5/10
I'm always up for a roguelike dungeon crawler, no matter how frustrating they can be. Running through dungeons with the chance of death around every corner is a test of skill and patience, and I love it. When it comes to developer Spike Chunsoft, I often find myself spending hours upon hours with entries of the Shiren the Wanderer series.

gamespew Review 7/10
The series has changed quite a bit since then, and so here we are with a spin-off that changes the gameplay more then ever. Katana Kami: A Way of the Samurai Story still lets you make some important decisions, but its more fantastical nature sees the gameplay turned into a dungeon crawl. You're not roaming Rokkatsu Pass during the day, taking down miscreants and rescuing people in need before heading off for a good night's sleep. Instead, your days are spent crafting swords and fulfilling orders, and your nights stepping into a mysterious tree to explore hostile lands.

PushSquare Review 6/10
Katana Kami: A Way of the Samurai Story is an isometric dungeon crawling action RPG that, as its title suggests, branches off from the janky but fun Way of the Samurai series. Playing as a wandering swordsman who helps a blacksmith settle his debt, you're tasked with exploring a ghostly realm that appears in the night, looting its treasures so that you have some dosh to hand over when the debt collectors come knocking.

rpgsite Review 6/10
This is pretty much Katana Kami's gameplay loop and doesn't deviate from it all that much. There are multiple endings, albeit not as much as past titles. Its biggest selling point is how engaging the combat can be once you've found a set of weapons that you enjoy controlling. Being a small-scaled spin-off did hamper some of its more ambitious ideas. Nevertheless, Katana Kami: A Way of the Samurai Story isn't quite the Way of the Samurai game I wanted but that doesn't make it terrible; there is just an untapped well of potential that it ultimately fails to reach though.

6xp7fxk.png

scTnTV.gif
jE8LM7.gif

lTdA7P.gif
_cU9kG.gif

OX1aMY.gif
Jn3Rr9.gif

Last edited:

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now that's a good title. Looking forward to purchasing this when I get off work.

DrillBuster

Nov 26, 2019
Does anyone know I could play through the story with a friend in CO-OP?

It seems like a cool game to play through with a buddy.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Greatly awaiting performance breakdown. I am thinking of getting it on PS4 but if the switch is a respectable port then I will get it there.

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll buy where most of this community buys it on, just a shame the ps4 version doesnt have the discount the switch and steam release do.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you so much for the OT. I gotta say though: I'm using the light theme (oh snap!) and white text on white background is a bit hard to read. Perhaps you could choose something more neutral that works with all themes?

I just bought the game and will dig into it later on PS4. I'm a big fan of the Way of the Samurai series. And while this is "just" a spin-off, it still contains lots of its elements and mixes it up with a bit of Shiren / Mystery Dungeon, which I also happen to love. In other words: It's a match.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
I can dig a good roguelike, so I'm waiting for Spike Chunsoft to send out another wave of review codes.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
just want to know how it runs on switch so I can either buy it on that or steam

Word of warning:

When you play online you encounter other players. They can either help you or attack you, and there is a whole system of bounties and whatnot that encourages and balances the risk reward of this kind of playstyle.

On PC the game has no anticheat software at all, and I can see this game being potentially abused by cheaters and griefers.

So if you want to play online, I would recommend a closed platform like the Switch or PS4.

chrisdm

Oct 27, 2017
Northeast United States
I'll buy where most of this community buys it on, just a shame the ps4 version doesnt have the discount the switch and steam release do.

I'm with this post. I really want to dive deep into this one - it seems so dope!

Is it possible for us to start a poll for which version people are buying (PC, PS4, Switch)?

EDIT:
Word of warning:

When you play online you encounter other players. They can either help you or attack you, and there is a whole system of bounties and whatnot that encourages and balances the risk reward of this kind of playstyle.

On PC the game has no anticheat software at all, and I can see this game being potentially abused by cheaters and griefers.

So if you want to play online, I would recommend a closed platform like the Switch or PS4.

This is also a concern of mine, so I'm imagining PS4 might have the strongest player base? Would love to hear impressions of Switch portable performance.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Greatly awaiting performance breakdown. I am thinking of getting it on PS4 but if the switch is a respectable port then I will get it there.
Same here, friend. I'd like to get this on Switch, but given the shoddy quality of most of the art assets and general lack of polish that these games are known for I fear the worst for the Switch version.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
been playing it on switch (mainly handheld mode). Loving it. Makes me wish we had a proper way of the samurai entry, but this is nice despite some jank

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Loving the game so far. I think I just killed my first AI controlled player character as well in the dungeon.

I wonder if it makes sense using the free DLC weapons early in the game? They seem super powerful, too OP for the early dungeons floor, which aren't that difficult so far. Also I don't want them to break, but I guess you could use the sword you find inside the dungeon to resharpen them? Are you using them?

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
Word of warning:

So is this some kind of online invasion mechanic like the Souls games?

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I have the online mode active but the multiplayer mode inactive, because I don't want to enounter actual players just yet who ruin my shit. That being said: I don't think it's actually possible to team up with a friend outside of sheer luck? Or am I missing something here?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
So is this some kind of online invasion mechanic like the Souls games?

From what I've read from the in-game tutorial, other players will just randomly appear in your world. Anything can happen with these players... they can help you or attack you. And you can do the same to them.

There is also a bounty board that shows players who attack other players a lot, and I believe there is a way to hunt these players.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Loving the game so far. I think I just killed my first AI controlled player character as well in the dungeon.

I wonder if it makes sense using the free DLC weapons early in the game? They seem super powerful, too OP for the early dungeons floor, which aren't that difficult so far. Also I don't want them to break, but I guess you could use the sword you find inside the dungeon to resharpen them? Are you using them?

Yeah as soon as I saw how strong the DLC swords were, I decided not to use them. I'll save them for when I start getting swords of comparable power through gameplay.

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
From what I've read from the in-game tutorial, other players will just randomly appear in your world. Anything can happen with these players... they can help you or attack you. And you can do the same to them.

There is also a bounty board that shows players who attack other players a lot, and I believe there is a way to hunt these players.

Ok, thanks. I'm looking for a samurai fix while waiting on Nioh 2 and I'd rather not deal with that so when I get this I'll play offline.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
Wondering how the story is in the game. I know it's secondary to the gameplay, but I find I need a hook of clear progression beyond stat building when it comes to procedurally generated dep dives.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Talk about the jank please?
Jank is just a few visual things like seeing through the walls. I get its a a top down or isometric, but you cannot move the camera at all. So sometimes the came will go through a wall in the dungeon and it goes into see through where you have a differerent color filter overlay until you move. Basically i wish you had a bit of camera options. being able to move it a bit would be nice.

not really a jank but i wish the controls were a big... tighter ? (not sure what the right word to be used here is). Lets say when you are in the dungeon traveling, you end up in an area where you are ambushed by at least 8-10 enemies. Response latency to draw out sword and attack isnt tight so it takes a moment to do it. Enemies can get a quick few hits in.

You have options like auto-targetting an enemy and auto switch to closest enemy. It actually does well to be surprised.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
not really a jank but i wish the controls were a big... tighter ? (not sure what the right word to be used here is). Lets say when you are in the dungeon traveling, you end up in an area where you are ambushed by at least 8-10 enemies. Response latency to draw out sword and attack isnt tight so it takes a moment to do it. Enemies can get a quick few hits in.

Yeah, the delay when unsheathing your sword is probably my biggest complaint so far. Not a huge deal (...yet), but it does get a bit annoying.

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably getting it on ps4, just because I'll take the 60 fps over 30 , and it seems many will be on ps4 for the most part/and if YouTube seems to be of any indication.

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
In my game, Post Town is fighting against the Kuroufu Family, Post Town Ronins just killed the Kuroufu merchant next to the Blacksmith.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Wow reviews have been utterly useless so far...

wish there was a demo.
At this point I just wanna know how undocked Switch compares to the others

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Man, a lot of stuff is happening in the hub. Roaming NPCs that can tell you more lore and stuff. Very Way of the Samurai-y... hehe. Also:

During night time I got attacked by a serial killer, which was tied to a quest.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
wait so its 30 fps on PS4 and Switch, is it 60 on Steam or is the game itself just locked to 30 fps?

Furyous

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
I'm posting reviews that the the op could add to the original post:

youtu.be

Katana Kami Review - Noisy Pixel

Read the full review here: https://noisypixel.net/katana-kami-a-way-of-the-samurai-story-review-ps4-switch-pc/ A review code was provided by the publisher fo...

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

And a 44 minute playthrough:

youtu.be

KATANA KAMI: A Way of the Samurai Story (with English text) ps4 version

Sorry no commentary wife was asleep at the time I was recording this gameplay and wanted to upload it as soon as possible it is a really fun game so far and ...

At $30 on psn this an instant buy. Always wanted to come jump into way of the samurai but the games didn't look as good as this one in my opinion.

Can someone go in-depth on the nine fighting styles? Is there a practice dojo? Can you try styles before you decide on your main style?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just got to the Wara or whatever and had to use my miracle medicine. ;_;

Game gets difficult very quickly. Nearly got killed when some of the Nekomata or whatever they are called surrounded me and started doubling.

sbdesignworks

Nov 2, 2018
Only found out about this game a couple of hours ago but it has really piqued my interest...Thinking of just diving in on the Switch version!