• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fierrotlepou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bought it on Switch and I'm really loving this game (only played a demo of it back in the day, not sure when).

It's addictive as fuck too.

vix

Nov 18, 2017
There's a lot of weird inconsistencies in the cousins from KD to what they are in KDR.

Marcy is WLK rainbow instead of KD purple.

Fujio has his WLK moustache.

Nickel looks completely different.

Lalala is WLK brown instead of KD pale.

Dipp appears to have his WLK stars instead of dots.

Jungle is the active camo instead of the traditional green camo.

Colombo looks solid instead of furry.

Miso has soup in her head.

Shikao has his WLK head.

June sort of looks like part WLK and part TMK.

Peso has his WLK head as well.

Foomin looks like a sort of blue instead of that teal/aqua color.

There might be more, but that's all I saw for now.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
more reviews

God Is a Geek (8/10)
Katamari Damacy REROLL is a fantastic experience for people who have never experienced the game before but it is a pretty barebones port on PC.

GameSpew (8/10)
It's a delightfully bizarre adventure that everyone really needs to go on at least once. And even if you're well-versed in Katamari Damacy, there's no reason to not jump back in.

Metro GameCentral (9/10)
Still one of the most original and entertaining video games there's ever been, with a surreal sense of humour that permeates every corner of the gameplay and presentation.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
The omission of English voice acting isn't the end of the world but I just find it rather disappointing. Presumably it either had to do with royalties or the fact that Bandai Namco found the quality retrospectively unsatisfactory

Whaaaat? No "I feel it...I feel the cosmos" line?

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Rather neat that in the Prince gets a little nod in Smash Ultimate now thanks to Pac-man's updated taunt.

Ted

Oct 25, 2017
-72.290091, 0.795254
Katamari Damacy REROLLED is an absolute breath of fresh air in 2018. It's brilliant on so many levels and reminds why I fell in love with video games in the first place.

The look, the sound and the concept are all so charming even if in places (camera control) the execution isn't up to modern standards. I love it now as much as I loved it then. Maybe even more given the context of my life now and my life then.

Ah, hello, Prince. This is the King. Long time no see. We thought today would be a good day for rolling.

The King was most definitely right. Today, nay everyday, is a good day for rolling.. we feel a swoon coming on.

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
Katamari Damacy REROLLED is an absolute breath of fresh air in 2018. It's brilliant on so many levels and reminds why I fell in love with video games in the first place.

The look, the sound and the concept are all so charming even if in places (camera control) the execution isn't up to modern standards. I love it now as much as I loved it then. Maybe even more given the context of my life now and my life then.

Ah, hello, Prince. This is the King. Long time no see. We thought today would be a good day for rolling.

The King was most definitely right. Today, nay everyday, is a good day for rolling.. we feel a swoon coming on.

Yep, this is exactly how I feel. I was worried before buying it that I had rose tinted glasses or that the originality and feeling would be lost, but it's just as great, or even more so, than it was when it first came out. I'm very happy I bought it and I can't wait to play some more tonight.

Also, the King is a super terrible father! Like, awful. But I love him.

PedroRVD

Oct 25, 2017
Ecuador
I really want it. I have only listened to the soundtrack and I love it. But how dare they release it in smash week.

Is this a long game? Since I quit RDR2 I decided I don't want long games anymore.

kitsuneyo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
I'm impressed with the price. I played through the demo 4 times and it's just a super fun game. I played the PS2 version on PS3, but maybe I should just buy it again.

Oct 26, 2017
Loved this when it released in 2004 and can't believe it's here again for me to love all over in 2018. Beat it in a couple of sittings and will be playing this for years ahead now that it is portable.

Question for you guys as I haven't tested it yet: but how does co-op work?

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that the soundtrack exists on Vinyl from Mondo. I got a first pressing at twice the original cost because it came out (and was already sold out) right when I started my current job so I ended up having to get it new from Discogs for extra like a month or so later.

Worth it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
new review
Nintendo Insider (9/10)
All in all, it is so good to have a Katamari game on Nintendo Switch. Katamari Damacy Reroll is a brilliant game and is one for anyone who wants something truly unique, the weird gameplay and wonderful sense of humour combine to make a game that will have you quizzically smiling throughout, then promptly jumping back in to see if you can beat your last scores. You'll have a hard time stopping once you start rolling.

There's a lot of weird inconsistencies in the cousins from KD to what they are in KDR.

Marcy is WLK rainbow instead of KD purple.

Fujio has his WLK moustache.

Nickel looks completely different.

Lalala is WLK brown instead of KD pale.

Dipp appears to have his WLK stars instead of dots.

Jungle is the active camo instead of the traditional green camo.

Colombo looks solid instead of furry.

Miso has soup in her head.

Shikao has his WLK head.

June sort of looks like part WLK and part TMK.

Peso has his WLK head as well.

Foomin looks like a sort of blue instead of that teal/aqua color.

There might be more, but that's all I saw for now.
this is so weird, why would they make these changes? i can't think of any reason.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While it surely is a shining example of "gameplay is king (of the cosmos)" I really find the story and narration extremely endearing.

The rolling though- it's such a genius concept executed so well, it's insanely fun.

Deleted member 19742

Oct 27, 2017
I beat the game! It was a really fun ride and a (mostly) excellent port.

Admittedly, it felt really difficult to do the dash, but I can't remember if it was hard to do on the PS2. Is it just harder to pull off the dash on the Switch? I remember being able to do it pretty easily in We <3 Katamari, but I don't know if that's due to the PS2 controller having better/more lined up analog sticks, or the dash being more easily activated in that game. Either way, it doesn't matter that much, since I'm still able to clear most of the stages fast enough to get the comets.

I only noticed lag in one level, Make a Star 8. The Make The Moon level is surprisingly free of lag considering that it's the largest stage in the game. Still somewhat sad I can't play as any of the cousins in single player mode, even though they're only cosmetic changes. And dang am I glad that the option to quickly restart a stage was added in the sequel; it doesn't take long at all to get from Home Planet to Earth, but sometimes it's annoying to find which Make A Star I was trying to master since the icons for those levels are the same (at least the Constellation stages have differing icons).

In any case, love the game despite my quibbles. I want to track down Forever Katamari now, even if it isn't as good as We <3 Katamari. If nothing else, it apparently has Eternal modes you can unlock for several of the stages.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Does the JP physical have English language support like the Asia version?
It's not out until the 20th, but Play-Asia lists the languages of the JP physical release as "Japanese, English, Spanish, French, German, Italian". Probably the same cart worldwide, I have that version pre-ordered and will post an update if the info on Play-Asia was wrong.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Does the JP physical have English language support like the Asia version?
Not sure how representative this is, but I downloaded the demo from the JP store and as installed on my english-language switch there is no way to tell that it is the JP version at all. Icon, menus, dialogue/etc are all in english.

Ted

Oct 25, 2017
-72.290091, 0.795254
...I was worried before buying it that I had rose tinted glasses or that the originality and feeling would be lost, but it's just as great, or even more so, than it was when it first came out. I'm very happy I bought it and I can't wait to play some more tonight...

Yep, the rose tinted specs thing was my biggest worry but as soon as the intro music started playing I was right back to humming along and rolling my katamari with a silly grin on my face!

It was well worth the purchase and I hope it does well on both platforms it released on (and releases on more in the future).

We were in all Nature's embrace. We felt the beauty of all things, and felt love for all.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wccftech (8/10)
Katamari Damacy Reroll is short, simple, but so very sweet. And at a price point as low as this, it's honestly hard not to recommend, even with all the great games that came out this Fall.

Multiplayer.it (9/10), semi-intelligible google translation
Katamari Damacy Reroll makes available to the general public an authentic pearl that had never officially reached the European shores before, embellishing it with an updated technical department that is sufficient for today's standards. Although not able to count on additional content compared to the original of 2004, the title Bandai Namco is an absolute pleasure to play on Switch, both for its immortal gameplay permeated by an irresistible folly, both for the portability granted by the Nintendo console, element that makes Katamari Damacy Reroll not only a welcome remastered but also the best "pocket" chapter in the series.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
My daughter wanted to get me this for Christmas. I didn't realize it was GameStop exclusive! It sold out all over my area, but luckily my closest store just got restocked today.
Phew! I'd be fine with a digital copy, but this is going to be one of those sought after games down the road when it's out of print.

Deleted member 33571

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Finished it up tonight, what a beautiful game. I've only done one or two of the constellations and not done great at either of them so I'm sure I'll return for those soon, this has been a nice game to play just before going to sleep.

I hope a lot of people play this and it does well! I can't see them necessarily doing HD rereleases of the other Katamari games, but I really think that strange smallish games still doing well can show publishers that stuff like this is worth investing in. Of course there are independent developers doing stuff much wilder than this all the time, but still, it would be wonderful for larger publishers to put money behind smaller and wackier games again....

Deleted member 19742

Oct 27, 2017
Finished it up tonight, what a beautiful game. I've only done one or two of the constellations and not done great at either of them so I'm sure I'll return for those soon, this has been a nice game to play just before going to sleep.

The constellations are mostly pretty hard compared to the main stages! Outside of the Bear and Cow stages (I think it's common knowledge that they're bullshit at this point), I think Cygnus is the hardest one. Gemini's no picnic, either.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IGN (8.8/10)
It only took me a couple of good sessions to play through everything Katamari Damacy Reroll had to offer, but the vast majority of those six or seven hours was spent with an enormous grin on my face, my head nodding along to the incredibly catchy, eclectic score. Katamari Damacy was a breath of fresh air on first release and it still is today, almost 15 years later.

cnrm

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope We Love Katamari eventually gets the same treatment as this game did. There's a lot more there that I kept pining for while playing the original game.

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Beautiful Katamari get a modern port either. I could be wrong but isn't it the only Katamari game that can actually achieve 60 FPS during gameplay? Here's some footage that seems to affirm that. I think Katamari Forever was 30 FPS by contrast but it's been years since I last played it (and I'd be remiss if i didn't mention the vast majority of Forever's levels are recycled anyway; Beautiful was 'original' content in both levels and music for what it's worth). Forever was the first time Bandai Namco outsourced a core Katamari game to a different company than Now Production for better or worse—development was handled by Genki, of all people.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope We Love Katamari eventually gets the same treatment as this game did. There's a lot more there that I kept pining for while playing the original game.
i really hope that was their plan all along, because if they were only going to remaster one game, it should have been WLK. i'll just assume a remastered version of WLK is coming in late 2019 until proven otherwise.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cubed3 (6/10) weird review. repetitive? the game is 5 hours long. awkward phase of 3D games? it's from 2004, not 1995.
As a port of the original, Katamari Damacy REROLL is definitely a great way for people to try this bundle of rolling wackiness for the first time. Just note that it can get very repetitive very soon, and that it clearly comes from that awkward phase where 3D games weren't that refined.

Nintendo Life (9/10)
In a cynical era where nostalgia is pumped for all its worth with endless soulless remasters, Katamari Damacy Reroll serves up an engaging and rewarding game that hasn't let any of its original charm or personality be lost in the transition from one platform to another. With support for gyro controls and multiplayer – not to mention a degree of performance that sees it run smoothly in both handheld and docked mode – this Switch edition is easily the best way to play it outside of blowing the dust off your old PS2.

IGN Italia (9/10), google translation
Genius and style do not age. Katamari Damacy REROLL is the same great game that illuminated PS2 in 2004, but without the technical limitations of the time. The art direction is perfectly intact, and only minor technical details such as resolution and loading times change. REROLL is fresh and intoxicating as it was then, both for those who remember it, and for those lucky enough to be able to live it for the first time.

Vandal (7.7/10), google translation
Bandai Namco recovers one of its most peculiar sagas and offers users of Switch and PC a work as simple in its concept as absorbent and endowed with a lot of sense of humor . It is true that the innovations that integrate are minimal and that we would have liked more to find a completely new game, but in spite of that it is still a title above all fun, of those who always want to play .

The Digital Fix (8/10)
Katamari Damacy REROLL is a surreal, silly and above all fun game with more than enough oddity to entertain all but the most jaded of souls. This entry isn't the most complex or challenging, but it's an ideal starting point for new players on PC and Switch alike.

Last edited:

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
As someone who has always been aware of the Katamari series and was always interested to dive in, can someone explain me exactly what changed between this and the original when it comes to content?

I am aware of the english dub being out, but I've seen some comments here describing changes that I can't for the life of me understand haha, things like those cousin changes that poster "vix" mentioned above.

Always curious about the tiny changes that go into any remaster. Anyone mind helping me making sense out of all that jibberish?

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has always been aware of the Katamari series and was always interested to dive in, can someone explain me exactly what changed between this and the original when it comes to content?
Nothing. It's basically just an upressed version available on modern platforms in terms of valuable content. The only differences are mechanical, for the PC version you get HDR and 60 fps, for the Switch version you get added motion control options and HD Rumble.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I am aware of the english dub being out, but I've seen some comments here describing changes that I can't for the life of me understand haha, things like those cousin changes that poster "vix" mentioned above.

Always curious about the tiny changes that go into any remaster. Anyone mind helping me making sense out of all that jibberish?
as far as content that you play goes, basically nothing has changed. there's about 10 minutes of cutscenes in the game with voice acting, and those are now only in japanese. if you get the PC version, then the english VA can be modded back in.

the game has a multiplayer mode, and there are some unexplainable cosmetic changes to the avatars you play as in that mode.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Did the original PS2 game have voice acting? I seem to remember reading everything. But it has been a long time since I played it. My memory is foggy.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did the original PS2 game have voice acting? I seem to remember reading everything. But it has been a long time since I played it. My memory is foggy.
the king of all cosmos didn't and doesn't have voice acting. there were several very short scenes showing a family (mother and two kids) on the way to meet the astronaut father. plus a very small clip after beating each of the constellation challenges showing the daughter of the family. those have voice acting.

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
as far as content that you play goes, basically nothing has changed. there's about 10 minutes of cutscenes in the game with voice acting, and those are now only in japanese. if you get the PC version, then the english VA can be modded back in.

the game has a multiplayer mode, and there are some unexplainable cosmetic changes to the avatars you play as in that mode.
Ahh so that stuff I was asking about was multiplayer related, that clears up a lot of my doubts. Still weird they made those changes though... Anything that might be considered offensive by today's standards, maybe?