• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
thread moved to the main forum since the game was just released on two new platforms.
i hope more people will play it now, it's a really amazing game.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Along with Bubble Bobble and Paperboy, the original Katamari remains my wife's favorite game of all time. We used to play it so much on my PS2 back when we were dating, and she bought me the soundtrack for Christmas back then. Of course I had the PS4 version preordered. It came yesterday, and we're excited to share in the crazy fun with our daughter now.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Bought this last night and played through a few stages already... Just as good as I remember it! It's pretty smooth and it still looks good even for a game from 2004.

I think the only downside to playing this is that you realize how forgiving they were in this game. The time limits were way too gracious and I'm glad they ramped up the difficulty and challenges in the next Katamari games.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i think the difficulty is fine. it encourages accessibility and i had some buzzer beaters later on. i would love to see the other games rerolled, too.

so yeah everyone buy this

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone playing this on PS5 or Series X? Wondering it if has Auto HDR on Xbox.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Playing it on PS5. Load times are slightly faster but it's very much the same aliased 30FPS experience as Switch.

Even on PC its 30fps. Think it may be one of those games where the game logic is tied to the fps and no one has taken the time to "fix" that.

Well the "game" is locked to 30fps, but the menus and even the hud can have higher iirc. Like the little animation of the prince running around on the bottom of the screen can be a smooth 60 with the gameplay still at 30.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So... how are the controls on this? I heard the original didn't have straightforward controls. You can just move the ball around with the left stick and the camera with the right like any 3rd person game, right?

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
So... how are the controls on this? I heard the original didn't have straightforward controls. You can just move the ball around with the left stick and the camera with the right like any 3rd person game, right?

The same as the original. The controls are part of what makes the game great.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
I ordered the Xbox version in the Target b2g1 sale. Waiting on it and Falconeer to ship. Both have been preparing to ship for a few days now.

ephexia

Feb 23, 2018
Even on PC its 30fps. Think it may be one of those games where the game logic is tied to the fps and no one has taken the time to "fix" that.

Well the "game" is locked to 30fps, but the menus and even the hud can have higher iirc. Like the little animation of the prince running around on the bottom of the screen can be a smooth 60 with the gameplay still at 30.

Huh, never knew this and I've put in dozens of hours on the PC version. Just assumed the whole thing was running at 60.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017

No. The controls have a twin-stick logic, somewhat like tank controls. Push forward on both to go forward; push one forward and one backward to turn; etc. That said, the controls are prefect.

This is one of the best games of the last 20 years.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
You use both sticks to move the Katamari because that makes you, like the Prince, use both hands to push it.

Gatsbits

Oct 28, 2018
Bought it again for my Xbox Series X..... 360 version was 60fps with many framedrops ....this one is locked 30fps....

Why is not 60fps ???!!! :(

The game still very fun ! :)

Oct 27, 2017
I got the Japanese PS4 physical copy in the mail and noticed it doesn't have a PS4 Pro Enhanced icon on the back. Does the game not support 4K on either PS4 or XBO?

deroli

Nov 5, 2017
Germany
I played Reroll a few months ago and I have to say... it was not as great as I remembered it from back in the PS2 days. The game concept, art style, music and writing are still really good to this day. But gameplay/ controls and camera feel outdated to me. There were too many moments the katamari was stuck between objects - which results in a fairly big reduction of size before I could move again - and times when I had to navigate almost blindly through obstacles.
Maybe these things were improved in We Love Katamari because my mind tends to blur both PS2 Katamaris into one single game experience. Or I maybe I have just become more grumpy and prone to notice technical flaws in games :( And while it certainly lacks much of the charm of the originals, Touch My Katamari on Vita felt much more polished to me.
Nevertheless, Katamari Damacy still holds a special place in my heart. It's one of the titles that immediately comes to my mind when I reflect on video games in general and why it has become such a big hobby of mine.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP says its £16. Its actually £25

Still great news though!! I'll be buying this!
the prices are from when i made the OT two years ago. it's still £16 on switch and steam, weird that they've bumped the price up for the new releases.

edit: just checked the prices, it's €20/£16 on switch/steam (the same as launch prices), €30/£25 on ps4/xb1. same price in US/canada tho.

Last edited:

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017

A 'normal' 3rd person control scheme actually makes the game a bit more difficult to play since you are not controlling a character per se, but wielding a giant ball to pick up stuff around you.

They take a little getting used to, but the controls make sense once you do.

It's like driving a tank and each stick represents the tracks on either side of the tank:

Both forward: you go forward.

Both backwards: you go backwards.

Both left: you strafe left

Both right: you strafe right

Both forwards but slightly left: you move diagonally to the left (and vice versa for the right)

Left up, right down: you spin around your ball clockwise

Left down, right down: you spin around your ball counter-clockwise.

And then there are buttons for instantly turning 180°, and floating up in the air to look around.

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
the prices are from when i made the OT two years ago. it's still £16 on switch and steam, weird that they've bumped the price up for the new releases.

edit: just checked the prices, it's €20/£16 on switch/steam (the same as launch prices), €30/£25 on ps4/xb1. same price in US/canada tho.
Didnt spot the OP. Still chuffed its out though :) New to Playstion, right?

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017
Have added the game to my wish list. Will pick up when it's half price or less.

vix

Nov 18, 2017
Got the plat over the weekend.

Pretty sure they gave extra time on some of the levels. And I know the item placement for at least one highly elusive ps2 era item got changed. Also using WLK and beyond cousin models instead of KD models, like Jungle's active camo.

I hope this gets us more rerolls if we can't get a new game.

Oct 28, 2017
am i insane or does reroll have screwed up controls where your sticks are locked to 8 directions that the original ps2 game did not have

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
am i insane or does reroll have screwed up controls where your sticks are locked to 8 directions that the original ps2 game did not have
I'm not sure about eight way specifically but it's definitely reduced compared to the PS2 original. While playing WLK I discovered of course you could import your KD1 cosmos to help count toward that really cool requirement, which led me to the PS2 version and just really missing the quickness of turning and reflexivity. Still, I like playing without visual glitches and I don't have my original hardware hooked up, as opposed to my Switch which is well within reach. 😂

Have added the game to my wish list. Will pick up when it's half price or less.

👀

Remember to grab that voice mod restoring the wonderful original VOs!

correct link right here

Last edited:

Runwhiteboyrun

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure about eight way specifically but it's definitely reduced compared to the PS2 original. While playing WLK I discovered of course you could import your KD1 cosmos to help count toward that really cool requirement, which led me to the PS2 version and just really missing the quickness of turning and reflexivity. Still, I like playing without visual glitches and I don't have my original hardware hooked up, as opposed to my Switch which is well within reach. 😂

👀

Remember to grab that voice mod restoring the wonderful original VOs!

The Google Drive link for the mod looks like it is dead.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I still can't believe the world continues to turn while the input delay on the switch version is so terrible and the only people talking about it are me and like one other person on gamefaqs. How is that not the first thing you put into a review?

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
I still can't believe the world continues to turn while the input delay on the switch version is so terrible and the only people talking about it are me and like one other person on gamefaqs. How is that not the first thing you put into a review?
People don't even notice, they probably think the game is supposed to feel that bad. Oh well, I'll just have my PS2 hooked up forever I guess.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it felt fine to me but i just went back and played the original on my ps3 and it feels better