• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
And been completed unimpressed with it, because he's Jeff Gerstmann.
AccomplishedEnragedDodo-small.gif

Shantae

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
I'm not trying to hate, because giantbomb is still the only video game site I actually watch content for (although tbh, I hate most of GBwest content these days with rare exceptions). However watching and listening to Jeff sometimes just makes me wish he would give up the whole "journalist" thing, because he never does seem impressed by anything. He has more fun playing Mr. Do then any modern game.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I was expecting it to be in playable form next time they showed it (and I could see them release it on PSN too) after Kitase said in 2017 he would want that:
Director Tetsuya Nomura said that he would like to show the progress of Final Fantasy VII Remake at some point this year…

Kitase: "I have hope that it will happen, but that still hasn't been decided. However, when we show it next, I would like to do so in a way that's a step further than a trailer, such as at an event where people can experience it."

Source.

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
Can I just say how shitty it would be to expect me as a customer to buy a PS5 to be able to finish playing the entire game! I hope there will be (downgraded) versions of episode 2 and 3 for the PS4.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Possibly bundled with Shadowbringers? Or put on PSN for plus users like REVII

I don't really want a demo though. It sounds like we might be starved for content and story with just the one episode so excessive drip feeding is something I'd like to avoid

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I fully expect a blow out at E3 ever since that SoP teaser, but the real dream is that Episode 1 comes out sometime this year. Would be the perfect Christmas game.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm not trying to hate, because giantbomb is still the only video game site I actually watch content for (although tbh, I hate most of GBwest content these days with rare exceptions). However watching and listening to Jeff sometimes just makes me wish he would give up the whole "journalist" thing, because he never does seem impressed by anything. He has more fun playing Mr. Do then any modern game.

I agree. He seems like a really cool guy but not sure games are his thing anymore.

You can almost predict what he's going to say before he says it.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I agree. He seems like a really cool guy but not sure games are his thing anymore.

You can almost predict what he's going to say before he says it.
Are you talking about the same Jeff who has been praising MK11 and Apex Legends over the past few months?

Also, FF7 came out in 1997. It's not a modern game and Jeff was never a fan of it.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still wish there was a way we could get to have demo's at E3 be playable on our consoles, even for a limited time during the event.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Please be a 35-40 hours full blown rpg.

What was the dev time? Didnt they reboot development at some point?

Jan 20, 2019
Final Fantasy VII - Bombing Mission aka Ground Zeroes anyone?

Wasn't there a demo for the PSX version that was pretty much this? I vaguely remember it being on a demo disc or available with some other game...

In reality, if they were looking for an opportunity to show off what they have so far then Bombing Mission would be a great way to do it! Can't wait to attack Guard Scorpion when it's tail is up...

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there a demo for the PSX version that was pretty much this? I vaguely remember it being on a demo disc or available with some other game...

In reality, if they were looking for an opportunity to show off what they have so far then Bombing Mission would be a great way to do it! Can't wait to attack Guard Scorpion when it's tail is up...

Yea the demo was extremely popular, I remember it was the only reason people bought that shitty Tobal No. 1 game. I think it was on one of the PS1 mag demo discs too.

Between the long ass wait and the nostalgia/hype factor, Square is practically required to recreate that demo beat for beat

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Can I just say how shitty it would be to expect me as a customer to buy a PS5 to be able to finish playing the entire game! I hope there will be (downgraded) versions of episode 2 and 3 for the PS4.

You'll be able to finish the game on ps4. You just need to buy a ps5 for the sequels.

MangoUltz

Mar 24, 2019
Demo playable for industry at E3, publicly available September time, FF7R Part 1 released in December.

Fully onboard with this.

Oct 26, 2017
I've been silently enduring my friends' persistent "lol can't wait to play this in 2029" jokes again lately thanks to the State of Play trailer. I haven't revealed to them what we know by virtue of being more glued to the industry — that there is an increasing body of evidence to support the likelihood of a relatively soon release.

I'll let their heads collectively explode next month.

SE need to show a full episode release schedule or you can look forward to 'can't wait to finish this game in 2029' jokes in their place.

Oct 30, 2017
Of course there will be a playable demo... part 1 is totally Q1 2020.

Meanwhile it's pathetic how some are still insisting that the "episodes" are only few hours long or they are in 7 parts when SE stated officially that each part it's like FFXIII trilogy a full sized game... but again in every single new thread related to the project we gotta have these none funny annoying posts.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Of course there will be a playable demo... part 1 is totally Q1 2020.

Meanwhile it's pathetic how some are still insisting that the "episodes" are only few hours long or they are in 7 parts when SE stated officially that each part it's like FFXIII trilogy a full sized game... but again in every single new thread related to the project we gotta have these none funny annoying posts.
We have only just recently gotten over the "game is canceled" posts, give it time. Baby steps.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Well yeah, it's going to be at E3. We get a little too hyperbolic when pretending it will never come out.

About a week before the most recent trailer, I was listening to a recent podcast where someone said that we would see this game for another 5 years and I thought "that comment wont age well in a year". Didn't last a week.

I completely believe this.

I'm leaning towards it even being a "get invited to SE's behind closed door demo for a guided walkthrough" type thing if the demo is long enough.

I expect it to play like Crisis Core but with the crazy animations possible from XV's engine.

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
When did she get promoted to Editor in Chief over there?

Good for her. She's fantastic, and has been so since the 1up days.
Congratulations Kat.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
This will not be a like for like remake.

I expect way more story elements to be put into part 1 that probably weren't present in the original.

Yes Midgar was greatly expanded in Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus, I expect we will get all the way up until the end of the Kalm flashback in part 1. They will add new areas to Midgar, expand upon others, Wall Market will surely be way bigger, Shinra Tower will be much bigger, etc etc

Solidus

Oct 27, 2017
I fully expect the demo being mentioned here to be for the E3 show floor only.

Not getting my hopes up for something public/PSN downloadable. Then again... they did put one out for FFXV... oh boy.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
I've been silently enduring my friends' persistent "lol can't wait to play this in 2029" jokes again lately thanks to the State of Play trailer. I haven't revealed to them what we know by virtue of being more glued to the industry — that there is an increasing body of evidence to support the likelihood of a relatively soon release.

I'll let their heads collectively explode next month.
By the time all the parts are out, your friend might not be that far off base.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Please be a 35-40 hours full blown rpg.

What was the dev time? Didnt they reboot development at some point?
They said years ago already that each part will be its own full-sized game a la the FFXIII trilogy.

It's been in development since around 2014, originally developed externally by CyberConnect2, but in early 2017 they announced that the project was brought in-house. Regardless how much they actually scrapped after that, they will still have had over 3 years of full in-house development if it releases in early 2020 presumably. That should be enough for the first part, especially with an already finished, mature engine like UE4 that several SE teams now have had experience with (KH3, DQXI, Octopath etc.). Who knows how much they simultaneously have been working on the other parts too.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
They said years ago already that each part will be its own full-sized game a la the FFXIII trilogy.

It's been in development since around 2014, originally developed externally by CyberConnect2, but in early 2017 they announced that the project was brought in-house. Regardless how much they actually scrapped after that, they will still have had over 3 years of full in-house development if it releases in early 2020 presumably. That should be enough for the first part, especially with an already finished, mature engine like UE4 that several SE teams now have had experience with (KH3, DQXI, Octopath etc.). Who knows how much they simultaneously have been working on the other parts too.

Right.
The truth is we know very little concrete details about this game's actual production. Based on similarities I see between the PSX '15 'gameplay' (*cough*concept) trailer and the SoP trailer, I wouldn't be surprise if SE salvaged some of CC2's groundwork and just continued from there, as opposed to a total scrap/restart.

This game is much further along than most suspect, I think.

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Koozek, you can add that the first part was seemingly slated to be released for 2018 if we refer to Uematsu's reaction in that video for Bra Bra. So if it's the case, who know what they can do with one more year of work.