• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
ezoyhTX.png

View: https://youtu.be/mzItS5BmUNw

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
really fucking sickening. not only that racist but also all the ppl that did nothing. all the fucking bullshit asian americans have to go through is saddening and infuriating as hell.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Stop looking for logic in racism.

Racism is inherently illogical.

It's 2022, when are people going to stop falling for the Okey doke of trying to figure this shit out?

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Tell me your children and grandchildren never call you without telling me your children or grandchildren never call you.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Look at all these mentally ill people here. Who would do that?! It's not like there's long history of trying to police the presence of poc in food establishments (or any other shared space).

9999000743-l.jpg
The benefit of the doubt is always given to white people. It's mental illness this or that. Same with mass shooters. The moment the shade of skin gets darker that's all out of the window. I see it on these forums often, including this thread.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
This is BS. Stop excusing these people behavior. Mental illness doesn't ignite hatred in someone. It's a learned behavior that is passed generation to generation. Some people are just bad. It's not complicated.

I apologize. I'm not trying to excuse it. She is absolutely in the wrong. It's just that racism seems to make people act crazy. I guess the recent mod post said it right, stop looking for logic in racist thought.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
Unfortunately, every generation gets more conservative as it gets older.
3-compressor.gif

Based on what? "Studies" by right wing freaks? Are they the same studies that argue that everyone finds god (the Christian god, of course) on their deathbed, which is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
We have a local woman who yells at people on the street about all kinds of things. She's clearly mentally ill and maybe doesn't know where she is but people shouldn't have to deal with that either way and the police just let her do it to everyone. Whether someone is lucid or not they shouldn't have free reign to fuck with everyone.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
"No, it's not aggression it's a question," the woman says, pointing to Maki's cellphone. "That's aggression. You want me to call the police on you?"

Trash.

Bet the woman can't cope with the fact she was the one that was arrested.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
That woman was spouting so many right-wing talking points she couldn't even keep them straight.

I think there's some mental illness involved in this, as she's clearly being belligerent for belligerent's sake. I've dealt with plenty of older people (primarily relatives including my Grandma), who would get like this at times. The older they got, the less of a filter they had.

The racism, however, is all her. She wouldn't keep watching that media if she didn't already agree with it.

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
Why the fuck to people give such a shit about what other people are doing?

The only time I'd care about what other people were doing is… if something like this was happening.

CamberGreber

Banned
Dec 27, 2019
User Banned (2 Weeks): Victim Blaming
Ok I get that the old lady is a POS and deserves to be shamed back into her hole but I dont get what the motivation is to stand there so long filming? Why after she clearly demonstrated her shittyness and you caught it on camera does the victim not just leave? Why stand there so long absorbing additional abuse? You allready got enough footage to make your case against this evil woman why stick around just to deliver the tears that woman wanted to see so bad? I just dont get it? It frustrates me cause Ive seen it play out this way multiple times now. Its like leave dont give this woman what she wants.

Last edited:

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's not even the whole story:

www.newsweek.com

Panera Customer Handcuffed After Screaming About Woman's 'Stolen' Drink

"I'm sick of paying for others that don't pay," the customer shouted.

View: https://www.tiktok.com/@klairemaki/video/7122279941785472302

The police can't just say she's a racist, just chalk it up to mental health. White people do this all the time. The racist shit she said had nothing to do with mental health. Also, white folks keep assuming mental health issues with racist episodes even though there usually isn't a formal diagnosis being revealed, just like in this case.
dajrl9p-820add26-adba-4c17-b292-2b01d6ed87d3.png

Last edited:

CamberGreber

Banned
Dec 27, 2019
She can be a racist and mentally ill. Its not like there mutualy exclusive. In my exp mentally Ill tend to be more overt with there shitty views including racism. It not the cause of it but it makes it alot harder for them to mask. This shouldnt be controversal.

Oct 27, 2017

It's 2022, when are people going to stop falling for the Okey doke of trying to figure this shit out?

I don't agree with the "no logic" part. There is indeed a very evil logic at play with racism: a systemically-implemented caste system based on people's skin color / phenotypic features / ethnicity used to subjugate, control, and exploit the peoples designated as being on the bottom rungs for the sole benefit of those peoples designated as being on the top rungs. I don't know if everyone who is racist inherently understands this logic, as it is hegemonic in our society at this point. But that indeed is the very evil logic behind this all.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Ok I get that the old lady is a POS and deserves to be shamed back into her hole but I dont get what the motivation is to stand there so long filming? Why after she clearly demonstrated her shittyness and you caught it on camera does the victim not just leave? Why stand there so long absorbing additional abuse? You allready got enough footage to make your case against this evil woman why stick around just to deliver the tears that woman wanted to see so bad? I just dont get it? It frustrates me cause Ive seen it play out this way multiple times now. Its like leave dont give this woman what she wants.

Why should the victim have to leave? Keep filming and let the bigot hang themself.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I don't agree with the "no logic" part. There is indeed a very evil logic at play with racism: a systemically-implemented caste system based on people's skin color / phenotypic features / ethnicity used to subjugate, control, and exploit the peoples designated as being on the bottom rungs for the sole benefit of those peoples designated as being on the top rungs. I don't know if everyone who is racist inherently understands this logic, as it is hegemonic in our society at this point. But that indeed is the very evil logic behind this all.

But it's not a caste system, because we see, routinely, again and again, white people forgo rights and privileges that would uplift their social standing, so long as they can be convinced that being in support of said rights would benefit racial ethnicities even a little bit.

I understand your point though; there is a hierarchy in who is subject to the brunt of racist treatment, largely based of nationality, colorism and phonotype. Definitely not wrong about that. I just subscribe to the belief that, at its core, all this shit is inherently illogical. Too often the "I don't understand why they act like this!?" tears from "allies" ring hollow, and like the cries of people not actually interested in combatting racism versus enacting the same exercises of fruitless surprise over, and over, and over, and fucking over.

Oct 27, 2017
But it's not a caste system, because we see, routinely, again and again, white people forgo rights and privileges that would uplift their social standing, so long as they can be convinced that being in support of said rights would benefit racial ethnicities even a little bit.

I understand your point though; there is a hierarchy in who is subject to the brunt of racist treatment, largely based of nationality, colorism and phonotype. Definitely not wrong about that. I just subscribe to the belief that, at its core, all this shit is inherently illogical. Too often the "I don't understand why they act like this!?" tears from "allies" ring hollow, and like the cries of people not actually interested in combatting racism versus enacting the same exercises of fruitless surprise over, and over, and over, and fucking over.
I think it comes down to the old saying of "cut off one's nose to spite one's face.", as in, for most, most of the perceived benefits of the in-group are just that. At some level, most racist in-group people know they are not much better off than the out-group, and therefore act out destructively in resentment against the scapegoat the powerful forces in society redirect the powerless's angst at. The rich and powerful fully realize the target should be on their back, and that's where we get this LBJ gem from:

"I'll tell you what's at the bottom of it," he said. "If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."

The rich and powerful effectively wield this scapegoating tactic as their main divide and conquer strategy.

Snopes talks about it more here:

www.snopes.com

LBJ: 'If You Can Convince the Lowest White Man He's Better Than the Best Colored Man ...'

President Lyndon B. Johnson, who grew up in the South and understood the politics of racism from the inside, saw it in part as a ploy to divide and conquer.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
absolutely not

MM300

Dec 23, 2018
I felt my eye twitch when that shriveled old hag said, "you're so articulate. So you do speak English." Reminded me of the times I had people say a variation of that to me in a sarcastic, passive-aggressive manner.

CamberGreber

Banned
Dec 27, 2019
Why should the victim have to leave? Keep filming and let the bigot hang themself.
I never said she has to leave. I said why keep standing asorbing abuse? She would feel better and the situation would be less traumatizing to her mental healthbif she just recorded what was nessessary and removed herself frombwhat is an abusive situation. Its doesnt mean she has to but it would be benifical too her. She had all the evidence she needed already. Why continue to absorb abuse. Its not victim blaming to want people to remove them selves from shitty situations. Its not ideal. But life isnt. Its not her fault what haopening or her responsibilty to walk away but that doesnt mean its not a good idea.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
The benefit of the doubt is always given to white people. It's mental illness this or that. Same with mass shooters. The moment the shade of skin gets darker that's all out of the window. I see it on these forums often, including this thread.
Yup!

For a place that thinks it's so progressive its true colours are shown whenever a White Person is racist, and/or commits a mass shooting. Then we get to see a bunch of posters trip over themselves racing to be the first to bring up the mental illness excuse and defense. And some will double down when that bullshit is called out on.

This place is progressive for issues that actually affect White People, like LGBTQIA2+ issues. For issues that don't affect White People, such as racism, Anti-Asian hate and violence, anti-blackness, etc, this place is more White Liberal - progressive-ish, so long as it doesn't inconvenience White People, or, god forbid, make them look bad.

Last edited:

CamberGreber

Banned
Dec 27, 2019
Im not saying it her responsibiltiy to do anything. Im not blaming her for anything. Im saying it would have been better for her mental health to step away from a hostile woman. Why is that controversal?

Mods: if the only commentsin these threads about what victims do when confronted with opression is to condem and move on with out anything else then I will step out. Just let me know. Im not trying to victim blame or derail. I just figured I could express my confusion and frustration. But these are sensitive topics and passions in these threads are noteably high and if that means you dont want any comments that rub people the wrong way i dont nessesarily argree but Im willing to leave this thread. Just give me the heads up. Ive no want to cause greif.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
She got people involved, she did the right thing and the racist faced consequences. She froze by staying there, and her Tiktok comments section was talking about how that's a valid response to stress. You know, fight/flight/freeze/friend/fawn. When you're in a stressful situation, your frontal lobe can literally shut down and you're only working through your amygdala which governs fear and emotions, so you can react based on instinct and survival. You can rationalise all that while you're calm typing this out. You can't predict how you would respond when you're in that kind of situation. I hope you can get why this happens now.

CamberGreber

Banned
Dec 27, 2019
She got people involved, she did the right thing and the racist faced consequences. She froze by staying there, and her Tiktok comments section was talking about how that's a valid response to stress. You know, fight/flight/freeze/friend/fawn. When you're in a stressful situation, your frontal lobe can literally shut down and you're only working through your amygdala which governs fear and emotions, so you can react based on instinct and survival. You can rationalise all that while you're calm typing this out. You can't predict how you would respond when you're in that kind of situation. I hope you can get why this happens now.
Yes I do. Thank you so much for explaining this respectfully. I really appreciate it.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how I'd react during a situation like this. Unless you've been in one, you can't really know. You generally don't have time to think, basically just act and react by instinct. As my patience for all the asshole behavior of people has gradually decreased, so has my aversion to confrontations. I lean more towards my kneejerk reaction being aggressive. But I think I might have deescalation wired as an instinct that'd kick in and prevent me from doing something rash. Even if I did get an urge to punch this piece of shit in the face, some part of my brain would probably flash a sizzle reel of the potential risks and consequences. What you want is for the problem to disappear with as little impact as possible on you or anyone besides the perpetrator. I reckon this woman probably did better than many of us would.

I want to say I would've thrown the drink in the perp's face, said something like "The drink's on you." and then done a cool backflip while simultaneously putting on my sunglasses and transitioned into a moonwalk out of the door in one smooth move.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, if you have to engage with that nonsense, then I'd just go with the good old "PIPE DOWN and mind your own fucking business". The TikTok lady is too nice for this world :(

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately, every generation gets more conservative as it gets older.
3-compressor.gif

Pretty sure this has only really happened with one generation in US history, but okay then.

When you leave, they win. That is what this racist old POS wants, she wants minorities out of "her" public space. She wants to go to a restaurant and not see any black, asian, middle eastern or gay people. To her, those people can be exist, but get your shit and get out. You have to look at these racists in their faces and say, no YOU get out.

Last edited: