• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Favorite track?

• One of the basura trio (ITAKY, Yikes, All Mine)

Votes: 100 21.6%
  • Wouldn't Leave

Votes: 17 3.7%
  • No Mistakes (Jmon certified)

Votes: 39 8.4%
  • Ghost Town

Votes: 248 53.7%
  • Violent Crimes

Votes: 58 12.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rigby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dez6Jp4V4AABvE4

Deleted member 13037

That Nas joke in the pitchfork review is better than anything on the album.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Album was whatever for me. I remember a tweet or something saying it was MBDTF part 2. I guess they don't like that album.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
It has felt (and actually been) that way with everything post-MBDTF really. How a supposed perfectionist could just resort to coming up with shit in a week several albums in a row........ I just dont get it
Yeah, true. But at least in the case of Yeezus we ended up with a pretty good final product. I thought Life of Pablo was pretty weak overall and had that same "thrown together" feel to it.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
It has felt (and actually been) that way with everything post-MBDTF really. How a supposed perfectionist could just resort to coming up with shit in a week several albums in a row........ I just dont get it
I don't think Yeezus feels rushed at all. There's that sort of infamous story saying it was hastily made in the two weeks before release, but it was just arranged in that time. Kanye had several hours of music before then and he and Rubin sat down two weeks before the album was due and actually put the pieces together, not super unusual.

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
Yeah, true. But at least in the case of Yeezus we ended up with a pretty good final product. I thought Life of Pablo was pretty weak overall and had that same "thrown together" feel to it.

I don't think Yeezus feels rushed at all. There's that sort of infamous story saying it was hastily made in the two weeks before release, but it was just arranged in that time. Kanye had several hours of music before then and he and Rubin sat down two weeks before the album was due and actually put the pieces together, not super unusual.

In the case of Yeezus, I think it's pretty obvious that most of the production was bare bones but in place, but that a lot of the writing wasn't done. I mean, the ghost writing on that album is more transparent than ever.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Allegedly Drake wrote the hook for Yikes.

Not crediting him is wrong. (Lack of) Crediting for this album is super fucked up. Seems like someone at the label is getting fired.

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The album is decent but the whole thing has a very "thrown together at the last minute" feel to it.
I listened to a few songs from TLOP after listening to Ye and it's like night and day. Overall I prefer Ye to TLOP, but even with the release of TLOP being such a mess, the songs still sound pretty damn fine-tuned, whereas Ye feels like a snippet of something greater.

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017

Not crediting him is wrong. (Lack of) Crediting for this album is super fucked up. Seems like someone at the label is getting fired.

production credits are off too, since Francis was responsible for the second beat on I Thought About Killing You (as well as not getting that sample cleared) and wasn't given credit either

kind of casts a shadow of doubt over how much production work he's doing right now. idk about you guys, but the idea of him being fully back on the boards was the main cause of excitement for me with regards to these 5 albums. if that's not the case then what's the point?

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
hm. Some interesting songs but not falling in love with the album. But that has been my sentiment the past couple years with Kanye West.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
production credits are off too, since Francis was responsible for the second beat on I Thought About Killing You (as well as not getting that sample cleared) and wasn't given credit either

kind of casts a shadow of doubt over how much production work he's doing right now. idk about you guys, but the idea of him being fully back on the boards was the main cause of excitement for me with regards to these 5 albums. if that's not the case then what's the point?

This just means Francis gave Ye the sample, doesn't mean Francis made the beat or Ye didn't. This isn't uncommon, for instance Lifted gave Ye the sample for Mercy and then Ye took it to a whole other stratosphere. Still got credit though. Same with Pharrell giving Swizz the sample for Onto The Next One, GLC used to give Ye samples, etc. Not the same as not making the beat.

It's A&R's responsibility to keep track of this shit though, right? And artist's too, obviously, although I figure Ye would have people doing this for them, I figure that's how it is most of the time in rap.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

pretty fucking gross.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Antics had left a sour taste in my mouth, but I was inevitable I'd listen to this anyway.
I'm not entirely convinced 7 tracks did this justice and I'm not vibing with it in the slightest compared to TLOP from the jump.

Replayed the whole thing 3x back and I still felt really iffy on it. Being experimental is one thing, but like coming off Daytona that felt incredibly focused and satisfying (again almost too short for the quality), this feels like it fucking meanders like crazy and he goes off on his spoken word shit way more often than I'd thought. I have some appreciation for people discussing their internal struggles and Ye is no stranger to doing that, but he seems to articulate his problems poorly when he talks at length about them idk. I just can't really see myself doing a quick take at this before jumping back to older albums. Him having finished Ghost Town at the last minute sorta makes sense, that's how I feel about a lot of tracks, especially when compared to Daytona having just dropped next to it. The two are light night and day in terms of focus. If people thought TLOP was discordant and Yeezus was slapped together last second, this feels like the worst of both those worlds to me. At least I walked away from both those albums with songs sticking with me for the long haul from the first play.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017

Drizzy and the OVO sweatshop wrote probably the best hook on the album then huh. Drake stans finally getting a W

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
remember seeing folks in here who were interested in Teyana's album

it's gonna be fire, i can feel it

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Internet reception of this album is now going to be positive since a lot of people just use Fantano's opinion as their own.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
Yellow flannel?

Oh my godddddddd

that's when you know stuff is about to go down. that and the red flannel (for bad albums, see: Teenage Emotions by Little Yacht-Tee)

Internet reception of this album is now going to be positive since a lot of people just use Fantano's opinion as their own.

r/hhh in shambles right now

BABY DON'T YOU BET IT ALL
ON A PACK OF FENTANYL

seriously such a powerful song. can't fucking wait for kids see ghost this week. from ghost town being amazing, to all of ye and cudi's previous collabs (808s, make her say, gorgeous, all of the lights, erase me, guilt trip, father stretch my hands....WHEW), and that sweet murakami cover art... i'm like 10 times more confident heading into that album that i was for ye, and i love ye.

Of course a YouTube Nazi like Fantano would rate this album so high.

i was almost certain he'd give it like a 5 or 6, ala MBDTF and Yeezus. this is actually really surprising to me

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
can't fucking wait for kids see ghost this week. from ghost town being amazing, to all of ye and cudi's previous collabs (808s, make her say, gorgeous, all of the lights, erase me, guilt trip, father stretch my hands....WHEW), and that sweet murakami cover art... i'm like 10 times more confident heading into that album that i was for ye, and i love ye.
it's gonna be so fucking good

Status
Not open for further replies.