• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Favorite track?

• One of the basura trio (ITAKY, Yikes, All Mine)

Votes: 100 21.6%
  • Wouldn't Leave

Votes: 17 3.7%
  • No Mistakes (Jmon certified)

Votes: 39 8.4%
  • Ghost Town

Votes: 248 53.7%
  • Violent Crimes

Votes: 58 12.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the production gets better on every Kanye project but the lyrical content tends to get worse. This is no different. It sounds nice but I'd rather hear someone else on all these beats.

spindashing

Oct 25, 2017
Queens, New York
Gave it one spin, I really tried to enjoy it, but the combination of Kanye being a trash human and the absolutely uninspired content in this album just crushed any chance I could have at enjoyment. Spun College Dropout and Late Registration right after it...obviously nostalgia plays a big role, but man at least Kanye had some shit worth saying on those albums. This is just filler garbage and some decent production. This is just so meh to me, especially all those uninspired hooks.
How do you feel about No Mistakes? I feel like that track is the closest to the old Kanye that it gets.

36 Chambers

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Idk I've never been a manic depressive or been mentally ill and I fell like I understand the album just fine

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Tbh I don't know...

TLoP is elevated if you have felt some shit. Similar to how you have to know what's it's like to be I a toxic relationship to fully appreciate Absolution by Muse.

Cannot agree with that. One of the strengths of music is being capable of taking these issues and breaking them down/homogenizing them enough to be digestible to the listener. Removing that barrier of whatever the subject is, to get your message across. It doesn't matter if the music is actually good either.

please don't think that my enjoyment of or opinions about this album is on trial for you. you are not fit to be my judge

I'm not asking you to stop enjoying the album. Honestly I couldn't care less if people did or did not enjoy it.

I'm here for the discussion of Ye, and your trivialization of health issues being used as a defense for the album's sake is pretty head-scratching to me.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
You know... I've always been appreciative of the KimYe relationship.

Wouldn't Leave, Only One, Bound 2, FML...

Ye has love songs that are specific to HIS love. Put these in a fucking playlist and it makes you stop.

Oct 26, 2017
well, beyond all the MAGA/slavery/dragon energy madness, on this album he talks about killing himself, scaring himself, "I don't take advice from people", etc..

I mean I don't really know, I guess I just think if the dude actually hurt himself or did something else really crazy none of us could act that surprised

MAGA?

And as for slavery, do correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't that completely taken out of context by the media? I didn't do a lot of research though, I'll admit that.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is without a doubt the most ignorant post I have ever seen in a music thread on this forum. If you believe that the average listener is incapable of conjuring any sort of empathy for an album that dives into the thematics of depression and/or anxiety -- in this case, Ye -- because they haven't gone through it is unbelievably ignorant.
nice edit

wild how what you wrote there has absolutely nothing to do to anything i said. next time respond to what i actually wrote instead of the invented things you want to pretend i said

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
damn the opinions in here are polarized af
because at best there are some cool tracks and concepts.

but that's at best. very little that grabs, very little that excites. not a single bar that anyone can latch onto.

A few weeks from now, I suspect this album will have been forgotten about by many. Maybe most. Too much good music out there right now to fight and contort yourself into liking this more than is warranted just because it came from Mr. West.

drog

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Man I love the divisiveness between fans that comes with every new Kanye album release, it's always an event. No other artist can generate this kind of reaction, makes these releases so much fun imo. Hip Hop would be so boring without Kanye.

OP
OP

Deleted member 9145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
OP & OT have been fully updated

All relevant links and information about the album are available there

Please read through everything

Thank you.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Cannot agree with that. One of the strengths of music is being capable of taking these issues and breaking them down/homogenizing them enough to be digestible to the listener. Removing that barrier of whatever the subject is, to get your message across. It doesn't matter if the music is actually good either.

Not at all. You have to be able to relate.

It's why people have different tastes. There is music for everyone and different music will represent feelings one way or another. Like, it's why our tastes change as we experience more in life.

Like, Bound 2 is fucking meaningless for people who haven't been in a relationship, never been in love, etc. But it's a specific type.

Ye is specifically bouncing off of his struggles with mental health and the way he can feel lost even when he's himself. I dunno about ye yet, but TLoP is about the feeling of panic. It's the fucking edge of the line for spilling over, but you're still pushing forward because the individual is still there.

Music is always relatable, otherwise there would be a few greatest hits and they would be relevant for anyone. But it's not, people have different lives and music represents those differences.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like "I thought about killing you" should've been an intro then faded into "Yikes," and he should've built the album around that. "All Mine" is probably the biggest cock tease of a song ever. Needed to be two minutes longer with a guest verse. He ends it when it starts to really take off. IDK, to me this album is all foreplay and no penetration.

hyuckwut

Oct 27, 2017
later im gonna listen to DAYTONA and Ye back to back, see if it works together or not. If it does, you could potentially consider all these GOOD releases as one album

:)

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay buddy. I'm talking in code. Jlawthumb.gif

I don't care about what Ye says or if he plays twister with Trump and drinks Sunny Delight in his downtime. I legit couldn't give a shit. One last time man, try and stick with me here, I'm here for the music, miss me with your politics and agendas.

Again,
you feel whatever way you want, if you can't afford me the same respect and let me have my own opinions, or lack of opinions, and to not care about Kanye's politics then go ahead and put me on ignore cause you're not worth the keystrokes of another reply.
Brah, it alright that you don't care but sontd give people shit if they actually care about what Kayne has said.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All Mine and No Mistakes are pretty meh. Liked everything else.

7/10, idk how it compares to TLOP just yet. I think the shortness is its' greatest weakness though. If this was 14 tracks with the same consistency, most of this thread would call it better than Pablo.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

It's why people have different tastes. There is music for everyone and different music will represent feelings one way or another. Like, it's why our tastes change as we experience more in life.

Like, Bound 2 is fucking meaningless for people who haven't been in a relationship, never been in love, etc. But it's a specific type.

Ye is specifically bouncing off of his struggles with mental health and the way he can feel lost even when he's himself. I dunno about ye yet, but TLoP is about the feeling of panic. It's the fucking edge of the line for spilling over, but you're still pushing forward because the individual is still there.

Music is always relatable, otherwise there would be a few greatest hits and they would be relevant for anyone. But it's not, people have different lives and music represents those differences.
yeah but come on, don't let all that get in the way of interrogating and mocking people's deeply personal reaction to a work of art about mental illness

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Okay buddy. I'm talking in code. Jlawthumb.gif

I don't care about what Ye says or if he plays twister with Trump and drinks Sunny Delight in his downtime. I legit couldn't give a shit. One last time man, try and stick with me here, I'm here for the music, miss me with your politics and agendas.

Again,
you feel whatever way you want, if you can't afford me the same respect and let me have my own opinions, or lack of opinions, and to not care about Kanye's politics then go ahead and put me on ignore cause you're not worth the keystrokes of another reply.
Nah not when he's actually referencing what he said on TMZ on the album. It's inseparable at this point

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
All Mine and No Mistakes are pretty meh. Liked everything else.

7/10, idk how it compares to TLOP just yet. I think the shortness is its' greatest weakness though. If this was 14 tracks with the same consistency, most of this thread would call it better than Pablo.

I'd argue its brevity is its biggest strength. TLOP was muddied with filler trash.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of amazing this ass can go full maga, hang out with alt-right assholes, say slavery was a choice, and yet so many of you are going nuts and loving him. Maybe amazing isn't the word.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
another CDQ listen and this album is great. beautiful, sad music but it inspires hope that things can be better someday. I definitely agree that some of it feels very rushed and these songs should have had another week or so to be fleshed out with some additional sounds or harder hitting production, but what's here works very well. Probably in his top five for me, we'll see where it settles in the future.

drog

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Didn't Pusha T get like 1.2 million tweets the other night

Let's be real, Kanye and Pusha are on different planets as far as relevancy and popularity goes and I like Pusha a lot, have since the Clipse days. Pusha got that major Kayne production and Drake beef bump, Kanye is super polarizing on his own.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
You know... After my second listen I like this album.

It feels like a direct sequel to TLoP in a way.

One thing is for sure... ULB is still the best opener for an album ever.

With this album, when you repeat it... Going from Violent Crimes to I thought about killing you.. It doesn't bring you back in.

But I thought about killing you... It has this strange feeling where it's intro... But has a different meaning if you hear it again. If the first half of it was the outro to the album... Fuckkkkkk

THEN THE BEAT STARTS AGAIN AND ITS

Break-dancing-level-Asian-kid_o_136123.gif

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
First of the newer Kanye albums that instantly clicked with me on first listen. I agree with people that this isn't 'groundbreaking' or 'it' in any way, but it does feel quite like a 'mood' album, which is what I listen to Kanye albums for anyway. Hyped to give this a few more listens and really digest.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
You know... After my second listen I like this album.

It feels like a direct sequel to TLoP in a way.

One thing is for sure... ULB is still the best opener for an album ever.

With this album, when you repeat it... Going from Violent Crimes to I thought about killing you.. It doesn't bring you back in.

But I thought about killing you... It has this strange feeling where it's intro... But has a different meaning if you hear it again. If the first half of it was the outro to the album... Fuckkkkkk
my first listen I was terrified pretty much all throughout that the intro was leading to some 'free thought MAGA' shit but then it didn't, and that stuff doesn't really pop up on here at all, so going back through I was able to listen to it for what it really is and not for what I was afraid of it being and it worked a lot better for me.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia

The impact hits harder if you're capable of relating initially, sure. That I'll agree with. I just don't believe it's a requirement to understand what's going on.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
The production is so much quality. Can't wait for that Nas. He bout to sound classic.

And Yeah is so open on this. I appreciate the honest delivery. Gives the album a certain amout of tenacity. And that last track. Man...

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Eh fuck it, gave it a listen. I decided to listen along with the lyrics up since so many people were talking about how introspective and "cry worthy" this album was and I didn't want to miss anything.

My verdict: it's okay. Production and beats can stand up to most of his other stuff, but lyrically it's forgettable. If you felt like you could relate to this, I ain't gonna knock your experience, but for me personally as a person with my own mental ailments there wasn't really a single moment here lyrically that I vibed with that I haven't heard expressed way better (and with a more relatable sense of sincerity) by some way lesser known "sad boy" artists. I Thought About Killing You was really the only song I felt the need to dwell on, lyrically. I also felt like his delivery on this album wasn't that great either; wasn't really any verses that had much "pop" for me beyond the titties line, and that probably more had to do with how goofy I found it when it hit me. Can't really see myself every throwing on songs from here to casually listen to beyond Ghost Town and maybe Violent Crimes.

I ain't gonna say it's trash tier or anything, but it's certainly his worst. The most impressive thing about this album is the context that it was created in, with him working on six thousand other projects at the same time. Not sure how people would rank this above TLoP (especially the "updated" version), but to each their own I guess. I'd take just the combo of FML, Real Friends and Wolves over this entire album any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.