• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
I think I really don't like Kamiya.

Guess I'm going to have to try to separate the art from the artist.

Last edited:

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It can be both.

This video explains what is and isn't art very well and examines the rationale behind people saying X or Y is not art.

I think panel 3 does provide some context but I am not going to go down the bullshit rationality hole on this one just because I like Kamiya.

Last edited:

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Art can also be used to entertain. I don't think there's a distinction between one or the other and really art is just in the eye of the beholder.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
He's such an edgelord. I don't get what his deal is. I understand being an asshole to trolls, but it seems like he's a dick to everyone.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
"proves" is a strong word.

"claims" might be more accurate.

I don't know why he believes it though. Is there a clear distinction between entertainment and art?

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
It can be both. Luckily not all developers are as reductive as Kamiya. He thought he was probably being cool with this tweet.

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get his point. Art can be entertaining. Nudes can be art (look at all those Italian nude sculptures.)

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
Entertainment can be art also.

Just because you make something without the intention of it becoming some form of art doesn't mean it can't

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I feel kind of bad for him that he doesn't see the art in his and his coworkers' efforts.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
It's so dumb. He's not as clever as he thinks. Books are art and entertainment! You don't have to make a choice.

Oct 25, 2017
Books also aren't always art, neither are movies, or any form of entertainment media - it's either all art or subjective art, but never not artwork.

A bit fucked coming from this guy though - wtf dude.

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprising from the games that he makes. Great gameplay wrapped in Michael Bay aesthetic.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Entertainment can't be art? Art cannot be entertaining?

I 'unno, He's as entitled to his opinion as anyone.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
Game art is made by artist. When their work is put into a game it suddenly becomes non-art. I guess if Mona Lisa was put in a game we could render it to a non-art status from it's now revered position as art.

I don't think there are rigid art forms. There just are things that are art, regardless of form.

TailorDKS

Apr 18, 2018
He makes games primary as entertainer and doesnt see it as art.

Others make games as primary art and doesnt want to entertain others like Kamiya wants.

Everythings good with his point of view in my opinion.

Deleted member 3465

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
I'm with everyone that consider it both. I don't see how you can even argue games aren't art since games combine so many other forms of art to begin with. It's pretty much impossible to even make a game without any sort of artistic elements..

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Games have art in them. The music, the visuals, writing, etc. But what makes a videogame a videogame is the interactivity. Can a form of gameplay/interaction be considered art?

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Anything humans make has a bit of creativity and style that is beyond the basic utility and form, this can be called art. However, Art, the act of discussing what is and is not Art, is always in flux. If Kamiya wants to make games for the sake of entertaining people, who are we to tell him he must make Art.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Never knew Kamiya is the emperor of all game related topics. Good thing he isn't so his opinion... is just his opinion... and guess what, different people have different opinions. Oh and not every game has to be art - just saying.

Art is defined by every individual. What I consider crap can be art for someone else and the most important thing is to respect that.

Status
Not open for further replies.