• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
First we have an Kamen Rider W anime titled Fuuto PI, which will be adapting the manga of the same name. This series is a sequel to the original series.

To commemorate the 50th anniversary of the legendary Kamen Rider franchise, production of an animated series based on the manga FUUTO PI (風都探偵)has been announced. Published in Weekly Big Comic Spirits, the FUUTO PI manga series is an official sequel to the popular Heisei-era Kamen Rider W (Double) special effects hero drama.
Starring Renn Kiriyama (as Shotaro Hidari) and Masaki Suda (as his buddy, Philip), Kamen Rider W (Double), debuting in 2009, was the 11th Kamen Rider series produced during the Heisei Era. A hard-boiled detective buddy drama, the series was acclaimed for its dramatic story lines and stylish action scenes, becoming one of the most popular series of the entire franchise. The manga FUUTO PI, serialized in Weekly Big Comic Spirit, continued the Kamen Rider W story in a format that appeals to adult readers.
Maintaining the elaborate settings and eclectic worldview of Kamen Rider W (Double) and FUUTO PI, the new FUUTO PI animated series will take viewers deep into the story, with a compelling feeling of power and speed made possible by the magic of animation.

Announcing FUUTO PI Animated Series!|Kamen Rider WEB[Official]|Toei (kamen-rider-official.com)

Fuuto-PI-Logo-Final-1024x346.jpg

Fuuto-PI-Visual-723x1024.jpg

Comments from the producer:
Have you ever felt a disconnect when a favorite work is remade in a different medium? "The hero wouldn't say something like that…" "The tempo is off" "We already know the story, there's no need to explain at great length…" But there was none of that disconnect when live action drama Kamen Rider W was followed by the manga, Fuuto PI.

The manga Fuuto PI is an official sequel, telling the next chapters of the W story. It was stimulating because the story was new, but there was also a refreshingly new technical aspect. Even as l supervised the project, I was astonished a how well scriptwriter Riku Sanjo was able to design a manga that could be read with the same breathless excitement that was generated by watching the live action W drama.

This can be attributed to Sanjo's stance of "always imagining from the fan's perspective." That's why readers were able to relish the manga stories set in the windy city of Fuuto without any disconnect.

And now the story of Fuuto morphs into yet another form as an animated series. It's a milestone that's emphasized by the lyrics of the Cyclone Effect song, "Gaining strength and power, the wind takes us to the next stage." The group of talented animation creators working on this project are the "wind." Always imagining from the fan's perspective, we'll take you to the "total satisfaction" stage!

Keep an eye out for the FUUTO Pl animated series, the next evolution of Kamen Rider W, coming your way in 2022!

Funimation will be streaming it in Summer 2022

The second announcement was a remake of 1987's Kamen Rider Black series targeted at an adult audience titled Kamen RIder Black Sun

Reboot of Classic Franchise: Kamen Rider Black Sun!|Kamen Rider (kamen-rider-official.com)

Screen-Shot-2021-04-02-at-9.03.32-PM.png

Kamen Rider (original work by Shotaro Ishinomori) was first broadcast on TV Asahi affiliates in 1971. For half a century, from the original Showa Era series through Kamen Rider Saber, the second series of the Reiwa Era, successive incarnations of the Masked Rider superhero have entertained viewers of all ages. Now, in 2021, the Kamen Rider series marks its 50th anniversary.
Commemorating this 50th Anniversary milestone, a remake of the highly popular Kamen Rider Black series has been announced. A new interpretation of a story steeped in the pathos of the hero's harsh fate, Kamen Rider Black returns to the screen after a hiatus of more than 30 years, reincarnated as Kamen Rider Black Sun.
Commissioned for the logo, calligrapher Souun Takeda has created a powerful image that embodies the heroic worldview of the new series.
Named as director for this project is master filmmaker Kazuya Shiraishi, known for hit films including Kyoaku and The Blood of Wolves. Inspired by the Kamen Rider Black series released in 1987, Shiraishi will adopt an innovative perspective for his all-new interpretation of the legendary hero, Kamen Rider BLACK SUN.

Comments from the director:
"The thought of being in charge of this amazing reboot of Kamen Rider Black gives me the shivers. I'm going to need to rely on every bit of my skill to ensure I don't get crushed by 50 years of Kamen Rider history. I want the tragic story of Kohtaro Minami and Nobuhiko Akizuki to carve a new niche in the chronicles of Japanese heroes. I plan on giving it my best, I hope everyone will see it!"

This series will air Spring 2022

The final announcement is a Shin Kamen RIder movie by Hideaki Anno releasing March 2023

logo-e1617447966193.jpg

visual.jpg

Comments from Anno:
"It's been six years since production began. Due to changes in production because of the Coronavirus, the release of the film has been pushed to two years away. Thank you for your patience."

Last edited:

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Kamen Rider's attempts at being mature has been a mixed bag (Fuuto PI included) so hopefully these projects fare well.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I've never watched a Kamen Rider series and have been thinking of getting into one recently, but it's the kind of thing where asking for a "what's the best place to start" recommendation turns up a half dozen suggestions lol

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Shocked neither one of those announcements was some Den-O bullshit.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Hope it is a better than Amazons. Which wasn't bad just that it was little plot stretched to infinity and beyond

RangerBAD

Oct 25, 2017
If they go the Amazons route, Black remake could be dark and I like that. Black was already good though. I hope they can get a good studio for Fuuto Pi.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
Den-O stuff is just expected at this point.

This last one must be big if they're dragging it out a bit longer.

OP
OP
Sandfox

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
If they go the Amazons route, Black remake could be dark and I like that. Black was already good though. I hope they can get a good studio for Fuuto Pi.
It's a Toei property, so I would assume they are doing it.

I've never watched a Kamen Rider series and have been thinking of getting into one recently, but it's the kind of thing where asking for a "what's the best place to start" recommendation turns up a half dozen suggestions lol
It really depends on what interests you, but I would say start with Kamen Rider Build.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How is the W manga anyway?

Cuz uh...it's not like semen milk bottles weird is it? Rider EU stuff can get on some shit.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
How is the W manga anyway?

Cuz uh...it's not like semen milk bottles weird is it? Rider EU stuff can get on some shit.

It's not Inoue so thank god no lol. It's pretty fun actually, though sometimes it tried too hard at surface level edginess (but Shotaro is too soft to deal with that so it kinda works).

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018

I'd recommend Build or Drive personally.

Love that W art.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Not really a fan of Kamen Rider or Tokusatsu anymore, but I'll definitely give these a shot.
but why is Kamen Rider W getting an anime to celebrate 50th anniversary of KR?
Maybe adapt something like Kamen Rider Spirits instead?

Oct 25, 2017
I should seek out the Fuuto PI manga. Can't wait for the anime. It will be interesting if Funimation dubs it too. Hearing Shotaro and Phillip in English would be... odd.
Black Sun though, now that's going to kick ass.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017

Build is an incredible place to start as others have said.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
Huh so that did end up panning out. I had read about there being a manga but didn't know anything about it. Hope it's good as W is one of the KR series I really loved.

I hope the Black series turns out well too. Not as familiar with that series aside from Sabans attempt to adapt Black RX like Power Rangers years ago.

Edit: Actually the above mention is a good point. If we're doing an anime to help celebrate 50 years then an adaptation of Spirits would have been more appropriate.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
What little I was able to read of the manga didn't look good to me, but I'm still looking forward to the anime adaptation.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Reads thread title: Hey cool, all I'd really want is a reboot of Kamen Rider Black, but that's just something dorks like me dream about and it'd never hap--

Oh.

Oh shit.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A new Black????????????????????????????????????????????

0afb24b65bfafbac380ea4f4d3a94d2a.jpg

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

OP
OP
Sandfox

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Third announcement is a Shin Kamen RIder movie by Hideaki Anno releasing March 2023

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
It helps if you tell us what kind of stories you like, I'd recommend:

Kiva - classic monsters themed, taking place in two different time periods
W - noir detective style, drug use allegories
Fourze - space themed with a high school setting and a stronger focus on friendship and teamwork

Dec 30, 2020
I love when things get rebooted and they forget the original was already pretty damn dark.

Hey Kotaro! You up for killing your own brother? No? What to fight him throughout eternity? Don't be sad, somebody, somewhere, loves you.

Very hyped up for this. ....also still slightly annoyed it's called Shin Kamen Rider when poor Kamen Rider Shin is just awaiting his own resurgence.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I continue to be disappointed by the complete lack of real support for media releases in NA. But here please buy our CSM releases and terrible $40 tshirts.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
God I miss W. Why did Philip's actor never want to reprise the role again?
For a while he was trying to change his image. That's pretty much over by now (he gave up and went with the flow), but his schedule is very busy for Toei's short production schedules.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
I still feel like an adaptation of Kamen Rider Spirits or something similar would've made more sense than adapting this W sequel.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
I just wanna say I fucking love Kamen Rider W... Just a super fucking clean design without a ton of shit on him.

The show in general had a lot of good suit designs I think. CycloneJoker, Skull and just Joker are some of my favorites in the whole series and they're relatively simple.