• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
The point is the fight, not some bullshit pragmatism of worrying about some stupid transition that allows two election seasons to pass

Also, that's some strong hyperbole. "Recession" lol
I wanna live in the fantasy world you seem to live, where you can just snap your fingers and things change in a day without consequences.

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wanna live in the fantasy world you seem to live, where you can just snap your fingers and things change in a day without consequences.
Literally nobody has suggested that. It's the fight on say one that matters. Even Sanders has a transition plan.

You should read it.
Eliminating an entire industry in one day will lead to a recession yes.
Not even bernie is proposing that lol, again- you're in here misleading people

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Not even bernie is proposing that lol, again- you're in here misleading people
I know he's not. He proposes a transition plan. Which Warren does.

Which is why your bullshitting about how Warren's plan isn't progressive enough is actually misleading people!

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
Not that I was rooting for her but wow, did she squandered away such an amazing first debate performance.

gardfish

Oct 25, 2017
Basically the only time I was interested in Kamala as a candidate was during the first debate when she basically tore Biden a new asshole--the ability to verbally eviscerate Trump like that on national television had a lot of appeal.

Unfortunately, every debate since then has just shown that she just doesn't have what it takes. She can't answer questions about her own record satisfactorily, and her attempts to have "moments" since then have just been bizarre--was it last month when she was trying to take a stand on getting Warren to say Twitter should ban Trump?

less

Oct 25, 2017
It is in a way sad that Harris' campaign turned out to be such a dud. She wasn't perfect but in many aspects she would have been an effective candidate in a number of ways.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
The NYT article highlighted that Harris didn't have a firm message. There's a few times when she would say something bold, and then backtrack in interviews afterwards.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Not that I was rooting for her but wow, did she squandered away such an amazing first debate performance.

it probably didn't help that her well-rehearsed and well-executed takedown of Biden at the first debate was very quickly undermined by the revelation that she didn't actually support busing herself
Really because you complained about Warren having a transition period and complained when I said overhauling the entire insurance industry takes time and has effects on other industries.

severing M4A from the public option is meaningfully different from a single bill that includes a public option as part of a multi-year transition.

it's really sad when someone who claims to be to the left of Bernie internalizes defeatism to this degree. if you don't think M4A will ever be possible, you don't support M4A

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Basically the only time I was interested in Kamala as a candidate was during the first debate when she basically tore Biden a new asshole--the ability to verbally eviscerate Trump like that on national television had a lot of appeal.

Unfortunately, every debate since then has just shown that she just doesn't have what it takes. She can't answer questions about her own record satisfactorily, and her attempts to have "moments" since then have just been bizarre--was it last month when she was trying to take a stand on getting Warren to say Twitter should ban Trump?
When the moderators actually teed her up to go off on Pete's issues with black people and his tricksy schemes, and she completely whiffed it, it should have been clear to even the diehards that she wasn't going anywhere and even her "tearing people new assholes" skills weren't all they were cracked up to be.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
severing M4A from the public option is meaningfully different from a single bill that includes a public option as part of a multi-year transition.

it's really sad when someone who claims to be to the left of Bernie internalizes defeatism to this degree. if you don't think M4A will ever be possible, you don't support M4A
I never said M4A will never be possible. It sure won't be possible in 2020 though!

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I never said M4A will never be possible. It sure won't be possible in 2020 though!
You might have given an implication

Yeah Warren is so cozy with big businesses and insurance companies I forgot. It's not like her entire tenure in the Senate has been marked by her mercilessly going after shitty CEOs.

Here's some facts.

- the majority of americans do not support M4A
- the majority of Democrats do not support M4A
- the majority of democratic representatives do not support M4A
- the majority of democratic senators do not support M4A
- 3 years for a plan that completely overhauls the insurance industry while having far reaching ripples on other industries is actually a very fast transition
- bernie is not getting any M4A plan passed
- warren is not getting any M4A plan passed

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY

likely not, but I dunno why I should trust Warren to push for it (or for that matter, even a public option as strong as the one she's currently proposed) when her response to criticism from her right is to preemptively sever M4A itself from the "transition" months before a single vote has been cast. not like things won't turn up to 11 if she actually tries to pass the public option

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
As late as it was, at least Beto had the sense to drop out of the race instead continuing the farce like Harris.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
You might have given an implication
Yes. Bernie and Warren are candidates in the 2020 election, not the 2024 or 2028 election. Thanks for playing.

likely not, but I dunno why I should trust Warren to push for it (or for that matter, even a public option as strong as the one she's currently proposed) when her response to criticism from her right is to preemptively sever M4A itself from the "transition" months before a single vote has been cast. not like things won't turn up to 11 if she actually tries to pass the public option
Or maybe she just thinks a transition from a public option is easier to accomplish? Idk, weird you, Legacy and skelepuzzle think she's actually some secret corporate Democrat when her entire tenure as a politician has proven her to be the exact opposite

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
You only see leaks like this when a campaign is truly over. Kamala ain't coming back from this, the story is a way to bury her for good.

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
That "she wouldn't enact M4a for 3 years" is the best thing people have to hang over Warren makes me so much happier to support her. Like, that's all you got? Hell even 3 years is fast for a transition like that.

This is so disingenuous it hurts. The criticism is that she intends to have a huge fight to pass the public option right away, somehow win it, THEN have ANOTHER, EVEN HUGER fight three years later, and somehow also come ahead in that fight, all while passing all the other stuff she wants to pass.

It's pure wonk fan fiction, and it signals that she has basically settled on the Mayor Pete solution but still wants to rhetorically signal to the Left that she "wants" single-payer. I don't mind her and would happily vote for her over Trump, but come on, her whole M4A rollout has reeked of bullshit.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The point is the fight, not some bullshit pragmatism of worrying about some stupid transition that allows two election seasons to pass

Also, that's some strong hyperbole. "Recession" lol
And this goes to the heart of the issue. The fight is not valuable in and of itself. The point of political organizing is to win elections and do as much good as you can with the power you have obtained.

If the fight has become the point, that means the actual outcomes are a secondary concern.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
All of this was to be expected, this is the candidate that hired Hillary's 2016 team after all.

You know what I'm wondering though? What's up with Cory Booker? Polling at 1%, has no shot at winning any state, but everything from his campaign sounds hunky-dory.
I forgot the dude was in the race. What's he been doing anyway

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
This is so disingenuous it hurts. The criticism is that she intends to have a huge fight to pass the public option right away, somehow win it, THEN have ANOTHER, EVEN HUGER fight three years later, and somehow also come ahead in that fight, all while passing all the other stuff she wants to pass.

It's pure wonk fan fiction, and it signals that she has basically settled on the Mayor Pete solution but still wants to rhetorically signal to the Left that she "wants" single-payer. I don't mind her and would happily vote for her over Trump, but come on, her whole M4A rollout has reeked of bullshit.

the argument is that, after the bruising political fight necessary to pass it, the public option will quickly become so successful and popular that it will not only keep Democrats from losing seats in 2022, but will have everyone clamoring for M4A proper come 2023, to the point where Democrats in Congress will presumably have no choice but to pass it, despite immense opposition from the GOP and the healthcare lobbies

there's no easy way of getting M4A passed anytime soon, clearly, but this is magical thinking

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Must've missed thar articulation in the original post 🤔
Yeah I guess you're right, when talking about Bernie or Warren passing M4A in a thread about the 2020 election I could have been referencing the 2024 election when we don't even know if either of them will run and the former will be 82 years old.

Or maybe it's signaling to people that she's going to try and get a public option when it's actually viable instead of sitting down doing nothing while twiddling her thumbs because it's impossible to have a Senate that will pass M4A in 2019-2022 (and even after then it's unlikely but as someone who relies on health insurance much more than the average American it's comforting to know she's gonna take realistic steps to improve the insurance industry from the start of her term).

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah I guess you're right, when talking about Bernie or Warren passing M4A in a thread about the 2020 election I could have been referencing the 2024 election when we don't even know if either of them will run and the former will be 82 years old.

Or maybe it's signaling to people that she's going to try and get a public option when it's actually viable instead of sitting down doing nothing while twiddling her thumbs because it's impossible to have a Senate that will pass M4A in 2019-2022 (and even after then it's unlikely but as someone who relies on health insurance much more than the average American it's comforting to know she's gonna take realistic steps to improve the insurance industry from the start of her term).

you have a much lower opinion of Bernie and his ability to compromise if absolutely necessary than I do, clearly, but calling even the public option Warren has put on the table "realistic" is a stretch

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 week): inflammatory generalizations and antagonizing other users; prior bans for hostility
Now Bernie's stans are going after Warren? Fucking hell.

Sad. Just sad. Besides Trump I can't recall, in recent memory, a candidate's supporters that's attracted such a toxic group of human beings to it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
it was absolutely one of the go-to dismissals of Bernie early on, all of this prior to kamala tripping over herself with the private insurance thing. you could probably sift through the Bernie announcement thread that got locked or scroll through the primary OT's. I witnessed all of that in real time so you'll forgive me if I don't particularly care to sift through all of that stuff again just so some forum poster believes me. no offense.
Don't make unsubstantiated claims then if you're not willing to back them up.

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Biden or Bernice it is then right? What are Warren's chances?
I'd say the lock in top 4 are Biden Sanders Pete and Warren in that order. Warren has been on thr downward slide while Pete has been surging almost 1:1. If Pete suddenly drops then she might have a shot.
I personally think Bernie takes Iowa caucus and the New Hampshire primary and Biden takes Soth Carolina. From there who knows...

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now Bernie's stans are going after Warren? Fucking hell.

Sad. Just sad. Besides Trump I can't recall, in recent memory, that's attracted such a toxic group of human beings to it.

Let's not perpetuate a largely untrue stereotype.

These days Sanders and Warren have the greatest crossover appeal as a second choice, and hell a greater proportion of Sanders voters list Warren than Warren voters do Sanders. Whatever interaction you think you've seen is an unrepresentative microcosm of the actual situation and composition.