• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
I'm not sure y'all have ever seen a Paul W.S. Anderson film (good on you if that's the case):

That is not a joke edit. It's aggressively awful like that on purpose.

God these camera cuts, I think I am going to throw up. Getting some motion sickness I can't believe thats real

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
That's like some old ass shit from the school yard when my 70 year old parents were kids, wtf. My millennial brethren and I worked hard to get deez nuts as a suitable replacement only to have MH undo it all.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I have very vague, long refrigerated memories of a kid doing this rhyme in elementary school. He taught it to several other kids. To them, the punchline was actually the "look at these!" part where they would either lift up their shirt to mimic a woman flashing her breasts or they'd grab their own balls. Ultra childish. Also racist, despite that likely being lost on them. Kids are extremely dumb. So, apparently, is the writer of this movie.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I have very vague, long refrigerated memories of a kid doing this rhyme in elementary school. He taught it to several other kids. To them, the punchline we actually the "look at these!" part where they would either lift up their shirt to mimic a woman flashing her breasts or they'd grab their own balls. Ultra childish. Also racist, despite that likely being lost on them. Kids are extremely dumb. So, apparently, is the writer of this movie.
Yeah, I remember this one from my schoolyard days. I'd never be dumb enough in 2020 to think it has a place in actual modern society. Weird choice.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
That would be impressive since he's not credited in the movie whatsoever :P
Pretty sure the guy making the joke is MC Jin, credited as Jin Au-Yeung.
I think you're right. According to his imdb page, he's from Florida and his parents immigrated from Hong Kong.

He's also been tweeting about the movie and shared this picture of him with the other cast members.

ElDHuCAVcAAY3D1

Without having seen the movie, it seems impossible to say for sure but if you look at the beard and headset with one earphone and the mic on his left side of the head, I think that's him.

Still a dumb joke that's probably supposed to be meathead soldier banter but I think the character is proud of his heritage in that scene, not making fun of it or intentionally evoking that racist rhyme.

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Paul Anderson, I hope this movie bombs hard. No one should support this guy.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Gross. But seems like the sort of garbage you'd hear out of a certain brand of soldiers. You know, the kind that play Disturbed music while driving a tank.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Galactic Level Hoo Boy. I can't believe that this made it into the movie.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, movie. Way to go out of your way to include a piece of dialog that is simultaneously incomprehensible AND racist. What were they even going for here? Staggering...

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Lord, whomever was in charge of the script for this movie is going to be way up shit creek and I don't expect Capcom will want them anywhere near their IP anymore. China is a huge movie market to miss out on.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I remember that rhyme from when I was a kid in school. Kids would perform it too since it was a visual thing.

It's been so long since I've seen anyone do that, likely because of how obviously racist it is, so why they'd call back to that I have no idea.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
This movie is bankrolled by tencent right? and they let this slipped through? LOL

and yeah, parroting what other posters have said, growing up in american suburbia being chinese american I heard that slur with the gestures throughout elementary and middle school

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure y'all have ever seen a Paul W.S. Anderson film (good on you if that's the case):

Are all the RE movies like this? I saw the scene below online a while ago that had way too many cuts in a single minute and it just gave me a headache

Can't imagine watching that on a big screen.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
This is the joke and it is a visual joke. It is also a requirement to sing it in a pseudo-Asian style of music and sing it in an annoying high-pitch voice.

Chi-i-nese - "eyes slanted up using your fingers"
Jap-a-nese - "eyes slanted down doing the same"
Dir-ty Knees - "slapping your knees with your hands"
Look-at-these - "pulling your shirt out with your fingers, making you appear that you have a big set of boobies."

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/whatshesaid/2012/02/dirty-knees-look-at-these/

the problem is white people are deciding what is racist, and it is not up to them to decide, as stated by Jerry Afriyie, one of the founders of the Dutch anti-racist organisation Kick Out Black Pete.
Holy crap this brought back memories I had completely forgotten.

This used to be a pretty common "joke" /song in my elementary school. I can't remember if people did the slanting eyes, but I know for sure the other two were done.

And yes, now that I remember it, it was a very racist thing.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap this brought back memories I had completely forgotten.

This used to be a pretty common "joke" /song in my elementary school. I can't remember if people did the slanting eyes, but I know for sure the other two were done.

And yes, now that I remember it, it was a very racist thing.

Yeah had flashbacks to the school yard. Been ages since Ive heard that rhyme and forgot it even existed.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like someone wanted to make a dumb joke because aha the "-nese" at the end of Asian country nationalities sound like knees, but didn't realise the nationality that was the aspect of the joke would find it offensive.

I mean what else should I have expected from a Wes Anderson "wife must be in the film" and will also get a stunt actor maimed, to not fact check this.

This is not a Wes Anderson movie.

This is a Paul W. S. Anderson Movie.

And no, he is not Paul Thomas Anderson.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really think the line the way it is written nor the delivery is all that racist (the rhyme it is reminiscent of definitely is though!). To me it feels more like an awful dad joke, but it's just a terrible line either way and not remotely funny.

Pisses me off so much that Paul W.S. Anderson somehow gets money to make video game adaptations that are always freaking terrible.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
Its an old joke that little kids (like, 6 and under) in America would say randomly in the early 90s, not knowing that it was offensive. Why an adult would be saying something like that in a movie baffles me, not only because it is insensitive, but it's virtually devoid of any comedic value...

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Weird part is the Asian character in the film defends his joke saying "It's a hit in China," so I assumed it really was some kind of popular Chinese joke or something and that they had cleared it with Tencent.
Maybe we'll get a surprising breakdown of it later, but I think the simpler answer is whoever was behind the script was out of touch and hoped that just acknowledging China would win them over.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure this rhyme was dead before I was even born. Talk about reaching back.

With all the eyes on a film pre-release, how the hell does something like this make it through?

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Been trying to tell people to avoid this movie for ages now. Paul WS Anderson is garbage.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I can see why someone would think it isn't offensive, but damn I had immediate primary school flashbacks

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I can't believe how much this is blowing up in their face, but more than that, I can't believe they would write that """joke""", rehearse it, film it, edit the film, and still include that dumbass shit. Absolute fucking buffoons.
Hopefully Capcom cut ties with Anderson going forward.

Shion2

Aug 3, 2020

Jesus, what is in the mind of Capcom executives when repeatedly give their big IPs to the same director who makes stupid movies?

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil

Seriously what the hell is this. I've seen all these Resident Evil movies cause I'm a sucker for over the top bad horror movies. But I think these films left my mind as soon as I've watched them cause I don't remember that god awful editing. I managed to watch half this video and I feel dizzy already.