• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't even understand why a writer, or anyone surrounding that writer - would think this is even something worth putting in dialogue. Like....offensive or not (of course it is) - this "joke" just isn't even funny lol.

It reminds me of something I would've heard in the playground in the mid-90s or something.

This doesn't even make me want to avoid the movie because of any sort of offensiveness it might carry - it just seems fucking terrible already lmao.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
It's a dumb rhyme based on phonetics; not sure how it is offensive though. Why would a joke based on English phonetics be offensive in China? Surely the pronunciation is completely different?

Why would a joke that dunks on a group of people be offensive to that group of people??

how fucking dense

Oct 29, 2017
I've heard this rhyme growing up in the states, but as it's a children's rhyme I haven't heard it in decades.

But yes, it's racist.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I remember when I was a child in the 90s in the UK.
Kids would have rhymes which starts with "Chinese, Japanese"

They would pull the edges of their eyes up and down when saying it.

Seems like in America they say they have dirty knees.

This is a racist joke. The person writing will 100% know it's a racist joke.

Why are people in this thread saying "oh no it's just a silly rhyme"

Well done! đź‘Ť You've identified that some racist jokes have plausible deniability.
What? I have never heard anything about dirty knees in America..

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I'm not sure y'all have ever seen a Paul W.S. Anderson film (good on you if that's the case):

That is not a joke edit. It's aggressively awful like that on purpose.

I've never seen the Resident Evil movies, and this trash can of footage has convinced me I made the right choice. Lord.

Oct 27, 2017
I remember when I was a child in the 90s in the UK.
Kids would have rhymes which starts with "Chinese, Japanese"

They would pull the edges of their eyes up and down when saying it.

Seems like in America they say they have dirty knees.

This is a racist joke. The person writing will 100% know it's a racist joke.

Why are people in this thread saying "oh no it's just a silly rhyme"

Well done! đź‘Ť You've identified that some racist jokes have plausible deniability.
Wtf are "dirty knees"? In my 31 years of life in the US I've never heard that

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm mad at the racism, but also at the lousy humor. It reminds me of Seinfeld:

"I think my friend converted to Judaism for the jokes!"
"And that offends you as a Jewish person?"
"No, it offends me as a comedian!"

tobascodagama

Aug 21, 2020
"People love when Michael Bay puts random offensive shit in his movies, maybe I should try it." -- Paul W.S. Anderson, maybe

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure y'all have ever seen a Paul W.S. Anderson film (good on you if that's the case):

That is not a joke edit. It's aggressively awful like that on purpose.

The laser wall coming back for the finale is the equivalent of the portals in Endgame. That's deep lore. Im genuinely impressed.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Doing a quick search on google

This is the joke and it is a visual joke. It is also a requirement to sing it in a pseudo-Asian style of music and sing it in an annoying high-pitch voice.

Chi-i-nese - "eyes slanted up using your fingers"
Jap-a-nese - "eyes slanted down doing the same"
Dir-ty Knees - "slapping your knees with your hands"
Look-at-these - "pulling your shirt out with your fingers, making you appear that you have a big set of boobies."

And various example in picture and video form.

It's racist.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
2 1/2 hours of a depressed, giant Gwyneth Paltrow roaming the countryside being pursued by a depressed, tiny Luke Wilson in a headband. She's finally brought down by a giant cannon that fires explosive Gene Hackmans.
Can't forget that the spirit that leaves paltrows body is.... Tilda Swinton

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (permanent): inflammatory personal attacks and whataboutism, long history of infractions
Ah signal boosting daniel - hes the dude who loves explaining away Chinese Muslim slavery and instead pointing fingers at the US

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Excusing Racism Over Multiple Posts
People shouldn't be tellin' racist jokes but ya know, this is a movie and characters can say and do whatever they want... they're characters, not paragons of best behavior. It's offensive and that's probably the point? It's "two military dudes being a little crass" so ... there it is

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I haven't heard that stupid rhyme since grade 3 recess in the schoolyard.

But yeah, what were they trying to accomplish here?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It's racist, unfunny and it seems like they wanted to make a Call of Duty movie, because that's not Monster Hunter.

Explanation of 'joke' and why it's offensive

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
I don't even get what the joke is supposed to be here.
I don't even get the "joke"
What are "Chinese" knees? I'm a bit lost.
Sounds like someone wanted to make a dumb joke because aha the "-nese" at the end of Asian country nationalities sound like knees, but didn't realise the nationality that was the aspect of the joke would find it offensive.

I mean what else should I have expected from a Wes Anderson "wife must be in the film" and will also get a stunt actor maimed, to not fact check this.
It's a dumb rhyme based on phonetics; not sure how it is offensive though. Why would a joke based on English phonetics be offensive in China? Surely the pronunciation is completely different?
What? I have never heard anything about dirty knees in America..
Wtf are "dirty knees"? In my 31 years of life in the US I've never heard that
In the US I heard a lot of racist and homophobic shit growing up, but I never heard this one. 🤷🏻‍♂️
People shouldn't be tellin' racist jokes but ya know, this is a movie and characters can say and do whatever they want... they're characters, not paragons of best behavior. It's offensive and that's probably the point? It's "two military dudes being a little crass" so ... there it is

This is the joke and it is a visual joke. It is also a requirement to sing it in a pseudo-Asian style of music and sing it in an annoying high-pitch voice.

Look-at-these - "pulling your shirt out with your fingers, making you appear that you have a big set of boobies."

I was the only Chinese-American kid in my class in the suburbs.

In school, other children occasionally did the slanted eyes chant – you know the one where you lift the corners of your eyes up and down and say, "Chinese, Japanese, Dirty Knees, Look at These". I heard that chant in sing-song voices throughout my childhood and still don't know what it means (though I'm sure the original intent was probably not only racist but also sexist – if you know this chant you might recall what "these" referred to).

The taunts punctured my soul. Each incident highlighted the fact I was inescapably different.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/whatshesaid/2012/02/dirty-knees-look-at-these/

the problem is white people are deciding what is racist, and it is not up to them to decide, as stated by Jerry Afriyie, one of the founders of the Dutch anti-racist organisation Kick Out Black Pete.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
No one is learning important lessons about racism from a Monster Hunter movie, my friend.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue

It's racist.
Thanks for this. With this context, the whole thing makes a loooooot more sense.

Yeah I can understand why people would be pissed

May 19, 2020
it's just lazy writing and promoting some old racist schoolyard rhyme, seems unnecessary.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The only justification for this would be if the characters were obviously presented as bad guys saying this and mid-way through the joke they get eaten by a Deviljho.

And even then I don't think it's justified.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The hell?

Might as well put it on DVD and start stocking Walmart bins, cause .....

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Urgh.

Truly dreadful.

Good job, guys.

giphy.gif

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017

It's racist.
Yep. This is what I grew up hearing as an 80's Chinese American kid in a predominantly upper class white neighborhood.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for this. With this context, the whole thing makes a loooooot more sense.

Yeah I can understand why people would be pissed

There is still a (small?) leap being made, though. The dumb, unnecessary joke in the clip is "my knees...are Chinese! lololol" with no actual reference to dirty knees or whatever, as far as I can tell. It's bad writing but I can easily imagine no one was trying to evoke the rhyme in question.

Still, this is their fault for writing in awkward, racialized quote unquote military humor in the first place. Just...why?

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
This actually does seem like American callous military racism, but some one on the writing team should have had the common sense to not do this in a fictional move about killing big ass monsters with equally big ass weapons.

Even attempting to isekai army folks was a bigger mistake than Deviljho
You would be beaten with soap if you said something that lame and cringey in the American military.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
C'mon people, if your first instinct when seeing a thread about an offensive joke is to:

1. Ask others why it's offensive instead of doing the work to research it yourself.
2. Explain why it's probably not intended to be offensive.
Or
3. Explain why it's ok that it's offensive.

Maybe take a second and reconsider.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
There is still a (small?) leap being made, though. The dumb, unnecessary joke in the clip is "my knees...are Chinese! lololol" with no actual reference to dirty knees or whatever, as far as I can tell. It's bad writing but I can easily imagine no one was trying to evoke the rhyme in question.

Still, this is their fault for writing in awkward, racialized quote unquote military humor in the first place. Just...why?
Right, but it's still evidence that the Chinese->Japanese->Knees pun has been used for racist humor in the past, which is enough of a reason to not make the joke.

It's like how there's really no "good" way to joke about a black person enjoying watermelon, even if the joke you're making now has been stripped of all the aspects of the old reference that were especially offensive at the time.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
how fucking stupid do you have to be to write a racist joke targeted at the country your movie is debuting in

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I have not heard that racial phrase in years. Who the hell on the production team thought it was okay?