• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RavenK92

Nov 3, 2020
I much prefer this kind of joint development partnerships to flat out acquisitions, so this makes me happy whereas outright just buying them would've rubbed me wrong. Hopefully they make some great new IPs and good games for existing IPs

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The image is very blurry. If you have a source for that so I can just copy and paste text it would be preferable because I can only find that information from the Japanese press release.

It's from the Kadokawa IR site (Japanese) so hopefully they'll translate the news release in English on https://ir.kadokawa.co.jp/global/.
If not Google Translate is the best we got for now.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
Sony Interactive Entertainment and Sony Music are in completely separate divisions of a conglomerate, so no.

I mean sure. But even divisions companies have a lot of working together. For example I work for a large publishing company and at least one of the separate companies (owned by the same large holding company) works with my department on a daily basis. It has always seem a little bit odd to me that Sony has quite a large divide between divisions especially when they have crossover.

Ah, so Nintendo and Sony are collabing again, happy times!

Next they'll do a vlog on their shopping spree :^)

They already are. Funimation is on the Switch and Aniplex are releasing some games for the Switch.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
I mean sure. But even divisions in companies have a lot of working together. For example I work for a large publishing company and at least one of the separate companies (owned by the same large holding company) works with my department on a daily basis. It has always seem a little bit odd to me that Sony has quite a large divide between divisions especially when they have crossover.
This is about to change when Sony Group Corporation comes into effect on April 1. Sony Corporation will disappear. Sony Electronics merged with imaging and sensor division into Sony Electronics Corporation last year on April. Entertainment divisions are last to become a group on April 1 2021.

Everything you have seen now has coming from old Sony like Demon Slayer published by Aniplex.

Sony Group Corporation is set to turn divisions into groups for synergies.

Pyroblazer

Oct 30, 2017
That's interesting. It's definitely not Sony buying them or From (which is a good thing), but it obviously doesn't make collabs between Playstation and From less likely.

So yeah, Bloodborne 2 please.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
OP has been updated with the following:

Additional details from the Press Release translated using DeepL:

(1)

Creation, development, and acquisition of new IP In order to create new IP in a stable manner, 5 billion yen of the funds procured through the Third Party Allotment will be used to acquire rights, invest in content holders, and make acquisitions. In addition to the acquisition of publishing rights through negotiations with copyright holders and the acquisition of various window rights through investment in production committees for animation, movies, games, etc., we also expect to acquire content holders themselves, including publishers, animation production companies, game companies, and other overseas companies. In each of these cases, we may allocate from less than 100 million yen to more than 1 billion yen per project while conducting multiple projects in parallel, and we are also considering the possibility of working together with CyberAgent and the Sony Group.

We believe that it is necessary to procure such funds in order not to miss potential investment opportunities and to solidify our ability to create IP based on our track record of creating rich and unique IP consisting of a diverse portfolio of books, movies, animations, games, and UGC platforms, both financially and financially. As a result, we will create and develop new IP. As a result, we have determined that 5 billion yen is necessary for the creation, development, and acquisition of new IP, with the expenditure period ending in March 2023. We will disclose the details of the use of the funds in an appropriate manner when they are determined in the future.

(2)

In order to maximize the value of the abundant IP that we already own, we will allocate 5 billion yen of the funds raised through the Third Party Allotment to multimedia development, mainly in the animation and game fields, and to global development. The multimedia development is not limited to the conventional development of sequential or simultaneous expansion of the Company's IP, which originated in books and is published in 5,000 new titles per year, to different media such as comics, animation, movies, and games, but also includes the multifaceted development of the Company's IP that originated in animation and games. We also envision the multifaceted development of our IP, which originated in anime and games

In the global expansion, we expect to further expand geographically to regions with large language populations such as English-speaking and Chinese-speaking countries. In each of the above, we may allocate from less than 100 million yen to more than 1 billion yen per project while conducting multiple projects in parallel, and we are also considering the possibility of utilizing the platforms of CyberAgent and Sony Group and working together.

The Company believes that it is necessary to procure such funds in order to solidify its IP development capabilities based on its track record of multimedia development since the 1970s, starting with the adaptation of books to film, and to ensure that potential investment opportunities are not missed. As a result, we have determined that 5 billion yen is necessary to maximize the use of existing IP, with the expenditure period ending in March 2023. We will disclose the details of the use of the funds in an appropriate manner when they are determined in the future.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Buying publishers is not Sony's style. They buy studios and make investment.

Sony's style has changed since they were interested in purchasing a small publisher a few months ago with Leyou. And that was a pub they didn't have any extensive history with. Suffice it to say, I think if they see a worthy opportunity they may go after it and we can't necessarily use past behavior as a metric for feasibility anymore.

Dunno where this collab will lead, but as I'm currently playing my first Souls game (DS Remake on PS5), I'm pleased at the thought that this might mean more games like it on PS5 as their relationships strengthen.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
This is about to change when Sony Group Corporation comes into effect on April 1. Sony Corporation will disappear. Sony Electronics merged with imaging and sensor division into Sony Electronics Corporation last year on April. Entertainment divisions are last to become a group on April 1 2021.

Everything you have seen now has coming from old Sony like Demon Slayer published by Aniplex.

I missed the news that they were restructuring. I doubt Aniplex will work closer with SIE, since the former is mainly focused on Japan and the latter on everywhere.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This should put to rest the meme that Sony would buy kadokawa just to own from software, hopefully. This looks like something that only concerns Aniplex.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CyberAgent and Sony Group will own a small amount of shares in Kadokawa and they will collaborate.

1,422,475 shares each out of 260,000,000. 70,892,060 of which are outstanding as July 2019.
doesn't seem like much, tbqh

This should put to rest the meme fantasy that Sony would buy kadokawa just to own from software, hopefully.
the opposite, it's strengthening that idea for some people

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
This should put to rest the meme that Sony would buy kadokawa just to own from software, hopefully.
It's only about Sony Group's anime sector and SIE is not part of it. They just mentioned at the meeting last year SIE sells PlayStation but that's it. SIE didn't even participated the meeting. Only Aniplex president and Animax president were there.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017

Is there a source on this? Especially the part about the upcoming restructure you mention. I did find an article detailing the establishment of the new Electronic Unit last year ( https://www.techradar.com/news/sony-establishes-new-consumer-electronics-unit ), but nothing on the Entertainment divisions becoming a group.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
I am expecting lots of these posts.

Also I am guessing this is more a Sony Music thing. As games wise are PS producing many that are based on Kadokawa IP? I heard Aniplex is making a game for the Switch of all things (on that note do PS and Sony Music divisions not work that close?)
None of sony works that close. They are under the umbrella yeah, but they are independent.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
Is there a source on this? Especially the part about the upcoming restructure you mention. I did find an article detailing the establishment of the new Electronic Unit last year ( https://www.techradar.com/news/sony-establishes-new-consumer-electronics-unit ), but nothing on the Entertainment divisions becoming a group.
www.sony.net

Announcement of New Sony Group Organizational Structure

Tokyo, Japan - Sony Corporation (“Sony”) today announced a series of changes to the Sony Group’s organizational structure, intended to lead the evolution of each individual business and further leverage the diversity of its business portfolio. The key measures are outlined below.

Before the voting

www.sony.net

Sony Group Organizational Changes and Executive Appointments

Tokyo, Japan - In May this year, Sony Corporation ("Sony") announced a series of changes to the Sony Group's organizational structure.

After voting

score01

Oct 27, 2017
This is a good move to see from Sony. Rather than wholesale aquisitions, taken steps to strengthen current relationships. While not fully game related I see this as planting seeds for closer collaborations in the future.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
www.sony.net

Announcement of New Sony Group Organizational Structure

Tokyo, Japan - Sony Corporation (“Sony”) today announced a series of changes to the Sony Group’s organizational structure, intended to lead the evolution of each individual business and further leverage the diversity of its business portfolio. The key measures are outlined below.

Before the voting

www.sony.net

Sony Group Organizational Changes and Executive Appointments

Tokyo, Japan - In May this year, Sony Corporation ("Sony") announced a series of changes to the Sony Group's organizational structure.

After voting

Thanks for the links.

After checking the link: if I may be blunt though... while there is a restructure happening, I fear you may be reading a bit too much into it.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I missed the news that they were restructuring. I doubt Aniplex will work closer with SIE, since the former is mainly focused on Japan and the latter on everywhere.

It's worth noting that Sony Music Entertainment Japan is managed separate from even the Sony Music Entertainment Group for precisely that reason.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Thanks for the links.

After checking the link: if I may be blunt though... while there is a restructure happening, I fear you may be reading a bit too much into it.

It's Nikkei that said it, not Sony themselves.

asia.nikkei.com

Sony sets out to conquer entertainment world with anime

Sector primed to take center stage among the group's studio businesses

In a sweeping organizational change slated for April 2021, Sony will be called Sony Group, with all units placed under one umbrella. This is planned to make it easier to nurture individual companies for the greater good. Anime is set to be the test case as to whether the new approach works.

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Ok it was kinda funny the first time, but is there an actual reason threads here keep focusing on them owning From?

they're a huge company that's involved with a lot of stuff, "owns From Software" is like a weird bit of trivia rather than the main thing worth caring about, lol

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
It's Nikkei that said it, not Sony themselves.

asia.nikkei.com

Sony sets out to conquer entertainment world with anime

Sector primed to take center stage among the group's studio businesses

Oh, thanks. Actually, it came back to my mind that I've already read this article, but I forgot about it.
This definitely supports the idea of branches supporting each other more, even if I still think the other user was seeing a bit too far in it (or maybe it was just the tone they used when posting).

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Ok it was kinda funny the first time, but is there an actual reason threads here keep focusing on them owning From?

they're a huge company that's involved with a lot of stuff, "owns From Software" is like a weird bit of trivia rather than the main thing worth caring about, lol

The average poster doesn't know what else Kadokawa and CyberAgent owns.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Remind me why this is at the top of ERA? Oh nvm, I already know
see that thing phrase "consumer games" that is listed under Sony in that slide? this is why.
Is it necessarily referring to SIE and not SME? no, but there is nothing here that says otherwise for that either. And if it is SME games, this is still news that games will be developed from Kadokawa IPs.