• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Multimedia rollout centered on animation and games" under "maximization of use of existing IPs" seems pretty clear cut to me.

Now then, about that Bloodborne harem anime thread...

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
in b4 people saying Sony will buy them.

But they bought shares ...

Anyway, I could see Sony making steps in 1-2 years to get the majority of shares in Kadokawa. The minority stake and the alliance are the first test to see how to take advantage of Kadokawa's gaming and anime content.

If that works out fine, they will be under Sony's umbrella sooner or later.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
They really should merge Crunchyroll and Funimation now, how many people are paying for two anime services?
Yeah, iunno, the problem is that both names are valuable. Funimation as a dub outfit, and Crunchyroll because they have like 70m free users. I'll be interested to see what they do.

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This kind of came out of left field, but I do expect a lot of 'I scratch your back, you scratch mine' sub-sub-sub-deals which will be really interesting to see where it goes. I haven't seen anything on CyberAgent's or Sony's site, for instance. Yet.

For the former relationship, I do know the reasonably popular isekai series Konosuba ('Blessing This Wonderful World') has a mobile game that is developed by Sumzap Inc (https://konosubafd.jp/). Additionally whilst it's struggling a bit at the moment CyberAgent's smartphone game segment is spearheaded by Cygames, whom were thrown under the bus in favour of Susumu Fujita's ABEMA tv internet streaming platform when Dragalia Lost underperformed I think two years ago. Anyway putting aside potential new games from them, this probably explains the large number of Konosuba re-runs on ABEMA (joking)

I am expecting lots of these posts.

Also I am guessing this is more a Sony Music thing. As games wise are PS producing many that are based on Kadokawa IP? I heard Aniplex is making a game for the Switch of all things (on that note do PS and Sony Music divisions not work that close?)

The latter relationship does lean towards a bit of everything - Crunchyroll was bought out by Sony Pictures/Sony Music which will cover the overseas (global) animation streaming segment as well as Aniplex which have their fingerprints over many large anime production committees (and anime studios, and Live2D and so on). Specifially 'consumer' games though might have some SIE involvement (though in this case I suspect Aniplex again now that they're publishing some console games).

The most interesting part is that all three will be participating in creating, developing and acquiring new IPs which might mean some acquisitons as well as maximising existing IPs for global rollouts.

Which, in Kadokawa terms, is a whole bunch of isekai series (lol). I'm assuming since it's in their presentation pack.

And no, I don't think they'll get FromSoftware to do a new cross-media IP.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
But they bought shares ...

Anyway, I could see Sony making steps in 1-2 years to get the majority of shares in Kadokawa. The minority stake and the alliance are the first test to see how to take advantage of Kadokawa's gaming and anime content.

If that works out fine, they will be under Sony's umbrella sooner or later.

It's not impossible but Capital Alliances/Minority Stakes aren't really a sign of an intent to acquire otherwise Nintendo would have bought Kadokawa, Bandai Namco, Square Enix, CyGames(from CyberAgent lol), DeNA, Konami and Koei Tecmo years ago.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
twinfinite.net

Kadokawa Games In Negotiations to Develop a PS5 Game

Kadokawa Games has been tackling a variety of platforms for its games, including PS4, Steam, and Nintendo Switch, but the next-generation is approaching.

Dunno if it's Sony asking them to do it, but I don't really see why anyone else would want to bankroll a PS5 SRPG early in the life of the console.

Bamco, Sega and SE are the only companies with console IP in the genre that could sell, but the former two work with Media.Vision on that stuff and SE would probably do it themselves.

Oct 25, 2017
BLOOODDDDBOORRNE Kart!
bloodborne-kart.jpg

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
5_BILLION_YEN_X_2.PNG

This should be on the OP

They're making IPs, and using already available ones and alliance and working together for the IPs Sony and Kadokawa has.

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well, it's almost that (now they are shareholders)

We just had a kakao thread the other day and that one's larger than these transactions. (5,178,300 shares which is 7.3%)

www.resetera.com

Kakao becomes the largest shareholder of Kadokawa Corp (Owns From Software)

https://www.webtooninsight.co.kr/Forum/Content/7503 Kadokawa is the owner of From Software alongside thousands of popular Japanese Light Novel, anime and manga IP's. Kakao is big and have multiple services around Asia, they also have a gaming subsidiary called Kakao games that makes Black Desert.

EDIT: Also noted is Bandai Namco Holding's share is diluted to 2.08% as a result of these new shares.

Last edited:

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
I'm unfamiliar with these companies, can someone enlighten me with more background info?
Kadokawa are a publishing conglomerate who are most known in the West for being a manga publisher and the owner of From Software (Souls).

Cyberagent own Cygames, who make a lot of mobile stuff like Granblue Fantasy

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
That's 5 billion yen (or US$50m) each from CyberAgent and Sony. Not sure how many %-age that is from their total shares

I just noticed I probably didn't explain clearly that Kadokawa is paying out of their own pocket to issue the shares so I added this note to the OP:
"Note: Kadokawa has raised ¥9,999,999,250 in funding to issue those shares to CyberAgent and Sony."

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
It's not impossible but Capital Alliances/Minority Stakes aren't really a sign of an intent to acquire otherwise Nintendo would have bought Kadokawa, Bandai Namco, Square Enix, CyGames(from CyberAgent lol), DeNA, Konami and Koei Tecmo years ago.

Absolutely, minority stakes are usually no indication for a buy-out. But we know where Sony is coming from, trying to strengthen their anime and gaming business.

Using Kadokawa's content and integrate it within the Sony ecosystem, be it crunchyroll/funimation or Playstation, will make a future acquisition a lot likelier and easier to integrate within Sony's structures.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I'm unfamiliar with these companies, can someone enlighten me with more background info?
Kadokawa is a monster conglomerate when it comes to anime, manga, light novels, etc. They also own a couple of game studios (From Software being by far the biggest, but then also Kadokawa Games which mostly works on SRPGs, VNs and remasters, Spike Chunsoft, etc).

CyberAgent owns a bunch of streaming and social media stuff alongside CyGames, which itself has a bunch of game studios (mobile, but pushing into AAA too) and an animation production and publishing arm, etc.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I just noticed I probably didn't explain clearly that Kadokawa is paying out of their own pocket to issue the shares so I added this note to the OP:
"Note: Kadokawa has raised ¥9,999,999,250 in funding to issue those shares to CyberAgent and Sony."
What does this mean? sorry I'm unfamiliar lol

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
They really should merge Crunchyroll and Funimation now, how many people are paying for two anime services?
I think because funimation being such a power house in anime from dubbing, distribution, streaming and having content deals on tv and other streaming services like starz and hulu it becomes complicated to just say merge with crunchyroll who does their own productions now and mainly their business is streaming, so funimation is all over the place with deals and businesses and crunchyroll has millions of subcribers, its hard to just merge the two businesses when content is mostly licensed and pre existing deals are still in place. If anything You'd just hope for some sorta package deal with both like what vrv was doing.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
¿Can this mean something to Cygames' games (i.e. Project Awakening and Granblue Fantasy: Relink)? Specially in the sense of exclusivity.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
5_BILLION_YEN_X_2.PNG

This should be on the OP

They're making IPs, and using already available ones and alliance and working together for the IPs Sony and Kadokawa has.

The image is very blurry. If you have a source for that so I can just copy and paste text it would be preferable because I can only find that information from the Japanese press release.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I am expecting lots of these posts.

Also I am guessing this is more a Sony Music thing. As games wise are PS producing many that are based on Kadokawa IP? I heard Aniplex is making a game for the Switch of all things (on that note do PS and Sony Music divisions not work that close?)
Sony Interactive Entertainment and Sony Music are in completely separate divisions of a conglomerate, so no.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
¿Can this mean something to Cygames' games (i.e. Project Awakening and Granblue Fantasy: Relink)? Specially in the sense of exclusivity.

Nope, this deal is between CyberAgent and Kadokawa.

This kind of deals don't necessarily have those implications anyway. Nintendo owns 5% of CyGames and that obviously hasn't had an impact on those games you mentioned.
Absolutely, minority stakes are usually no indication for a buy-out. But we know where Sony is coming from, trying to strengthen their anime and gaming business.

Using Kadokawa's content and integrate it within the Sony ecosystem, be it crunchyroll/funimation or Playstation, will make a future acquisition a lot likelier and easier to integrate within Sony's structures.

As I said it's not impossible but I'd say the fact that they're doing an identical deal with CyberAgent at the same time indicates that on the Kadokawa end at least they're not looking to be bought by Sony.