• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017

Source of slides: https://ssl4.eir-parts.net/doc/9468/ir_material_for_fiscal_ym7/94862/00.pdf

Kadokawa will be issuing to CyberAgent 1,422,475 shares and Sony 1,422,475 shares at a price of ¥3,515 per share on February 19th, 2021. Note: Kadokawa has raised ¥9,999,999,250 in funding to issue those shares to CyberAgent and Sony.

After the shares have been issued, CyberAgent and Sony will each own 1.93% of total shares in Kadokawa.

Source of shares issued: https://ssl4.eir-parts.net/doc/9468/tdnet/1926901/00.pdf

Additional details from the Press Release translated using DeepL:
(1)
Creation, development, and acquisition of new IP In order to create new IP in a stable manner, 5 billion yen of the funds procured through the Third Party Allotment will be used to acquire rights, invest in content holders, and make acquisitions. In addition to the acquisition of publishing rights through negotiations with copyright holders and the acquisition of various window rights through investment in production committees for animation, movies, games, etc., we also expect to acquire content holders themselves, including publishers, animation production companies, game companies, and other overseas companies. In each of these cases, we may allocate from less than 100 million yen to more than 1 billion yen per project while conducting multiple projects in parallel, and we are also considering the possibility of working together with CyberAgent and the Sony Group.

We believe that it is necessary to procure such funds in order not to miss potential investment opportunities and to solidify our ability to create IP based on our track record of creating rich and unique IP consisting of a diverse portfolio of books, movies, animations, games, and UGC platforms, both financially and financially. As a result, we will create and develop new IP. As a result, we have determined that 5 billion yen is necessary for the creation, development, and acquisition of new IP, with the expenditure period ending in March 2023. We will disclose the details of the use of the funds in an appropriate manner when they are determined in the future.

(2)
In order to maximize the value of the abundant IP that we already own, we will allocate 5 billion yen of the funds raised through the Third Party Allotment to multimedia development, mainly in the animation and game fields, and to global development. The multimedia development is not limited to the conventional development of sequential or simultaneous expansion of the Company's IP, which originated in books and is published in 5,000 new titles per year, to different media such as comics, animation, movies, and games, but also includes the multifaceted development of the Company's IP that originated in animation and games. We also envision the multifaceted development of our IP, which originated in anime and games

In the global expansion, we expect to further expand geographically to regions with large language populations such as English-speaking and Chinese-speaking countries. In each of the above, we may allocate from less than 100 million yen to more than 1 billion yen per project while conducting multiple projects in parallel, and we are also considering the possibility of utilizing the platforms of CyberAgent and Sony Group and working together.

The Company believes that it is necessary to procure such funds in order to solidify its IP development capabilities based on its track record of multimedia development since the 1970s, starting with the adaptation of books to film, and to ensure that potential investment opportunities are not missed. As a result, we have determined that 5 billion yen is necessary to maximize the use of existing IP, with the expenditure period ending in March 2023. We will disclose the details of the use of the funds in an appropriate manner when they are determined in the future.

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the PS5 game the Kadokawa SRPG team was approached about in 2019 was a factor in this / what it ends up being.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony owns most major player in the western world for anime distribution. Makes sense

Also Microsoft will buy all of them, just cause (herp derp)

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Makes a ton of sense given their overlapping interests. Kadokawa goes without saying but I always thought Cyberagent and Sony/Aniplex should've gotten in bed together if they could, now lo and behold.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
in b4 people saying Sony will buy them.

I am expecting lots of these posts.

Also I am guessing this is more a Sony Music thing. As games wise are PS producing many that are based on Kadokawa IP? I heard Aniplex is making a game for the Switch of all things (on that note do PS and Sony Music divisions not work that close?)

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So we can finally put the kodokawa Acquisition to a rest. Seems like a smart move by everyone involved.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Meta Commentary; Platform Warring
So how many posters from the PlayStation OT are going to read too much into this?

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Nevermind FromSoft, clearly this is all so Sony can convince Spike Chunsoft to remake Zero Time Dilemma

Oct 25, 2017
Does it say that? I just want it to be an Arc the Lad game damnit ;(
The slide says global expansion power for animation and consumer games under Sony
Yeah I just caught that, Arc the Lad reboot time guys let's go.

It still makes more sense to me that Kadokawa's alliance with them is probably more influenced on Sony's expanded global reach of anime streaming and publishing services than with video games, even if that is listed as a strength

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if this means that NISA will lose yet another 3rd party company that they localize from? :x

Greysif

Oct 25, 2017
Quick, someone make a list of all interactions between Sony and From to use as evidence of Sony buying them.

paraxor

Aug 8, 2020
Sony has a monopoly on anime. Making deals with Kadokawa makes sense for Manga IPs I guess.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Kadokawa will be issuing to CyberAgent 1,422,475 shares and Sony 1,422,475 shares at a price of ¥3,515 per share on February 19th, 2021.

That's 5 billion yen (or US$50m) each from CyberAgent and Sony. Not sure how many %-age that is from their total shares

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
His earlier tweet in Japanese says the following according to Translate:

"Allocate new shares to KADOKAWA, Sony and CyberAgent. The acquired funds will be used for 1) creation and acquisition of new IP, and 2) maximization of utilization of existing IP. Looking to the future of joint project work, the purpose is to build a capital alliance with the aim of strengthening relationships. "

Seems like relevant information

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
I assume they mean Aniplex when they mention Sony here.

Probably little connection to PlayStation at all.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
His earlier tweet in Japanese says the following according to Translate:

"Allocate new shares to KADOKAWA, Sony and CyberAgent. The acquired funds will be used for 1) creation and acquisition of new IP, and 2) maximization of utilization of existing IP. Looking to the future of joint project work, the purpose is to build a capital alliance with the aim of strengthening relationships. "

Seems like relevant information

The perfect otaku storm, lol. Sony markets and publishes, kadokawa does cross media, and cygames makes the gachas.

To be serious for a bit, this is definitely all about their animation/music/streaming/mobile game business.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dummy over here!
Can someone explain in practical terms what a capital alliance means?

CyberAgent and Sony Group will own a small amount of shares in Kadokawa and they will collaborate.

1,422,475 shares each out of 260,000,000. 70,892,060 of which are outstanding as July 2019.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Sony really wants to be ahead of the anime market huh.

Suppose it makes sense for the companies involved to do this, I don't think it'll affect gaming all that much (Outside of mobile maybe).

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
Sony going to the jugular of the anime business. No doubt this could splash into a stronger partnership regarding games.

Oct 25, 2017
Technically no because the reach of Netflix is so huge, but they're basically the only two significant players in terms of English distribution now.
Yeah outside those two, anime distribution is sort of mildly spread among the top streaming services.

Oh wow I thought this was just a partnership. I didn't know they will now be share holders.

This sort of way of partnership is common with capital alliances. Again, it's more than they're gonna strive to make money off each other and collaborate more.

The term "mutual exploitation" is amazing though. Straight to the point.