• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Another year, another victory for the best.

Japan
1. Katsuki Bakugo
2. Izuku Midoriya
3. Shoto Todoroki
4. Eijiro Kirishima
5. Tenya Ida
6. Tomura Shigaraki
7. Shota Aizawa
8. Ochaco Uraraka
9. Himiko Toga
10. Momo Yaoyorozu

US
1. Katsuki Bakugo
2. Eijiro Kirishima
3. Izuku Midoriya
4. Shoto Todoroki
5. Momo Yaoyorozu
6. Shota Aizawa
7. Hawks
8. Ochaco Uraraka
9. All Might
10. Mirio Togata

OldfashionedThoughtfulGrayling-size_restricted.gif

Yes, this is his 4th straight victory in Japan and 3rd in the US.
And people thought Tintin could take it.

Talent stays winning.

Mirio is actually awesome, and a shame to see him so low in the US and absent in Japan.
Also shoutouts to US for getting Red Riot to 2.

Last edited:

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
I will never understand the love weebs have for that insufferable sociopath but cool I guess.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Bakugo's popularity is pretty easy to understand

He's a character who is better suited to be a villain but is dead set on being a hero, which is narratively interesting. And I genuinely think the angle of "yeah, he's an asshole who needs to make amends and be better, but the adults who ignored the 15 year-old who had very obvious anxiety and self-hate issues since he was a child, and who recently developed PTSD and survivor's guilt, are the ones who really failed" is a pretty realistic take.

Now Shoto? That's a character whose popularity I don't understand. Dude is just boring Zuko but as an anime pretty boy, and whose terrible storyline with his sociopathic father has hijacked the narrative and screen time from actually interesting characters.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Those lists are both completely awful, which means their methodology is probably rock-solid if past Shonen Jump polls are any indication.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dude is just boring Zuko but as an anime pretty boy, and whose terrible storyline with his sociopathic father has hijacked the narrative and screen time from actually interesting characters.

It's the most consistently well written storyline/subplot in the series tho

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Bakugo is HATED, and yet, he's still #1. It's because he's a great character. Not entirely likable, but a great character all the same. Dude is a kid who has to learn to be humble. That's interesting and gives him a lot to work with. I expect him to have a very similar arc to Vegeta

adafba55aee4d15fd27702cbf62b5f36c007b09br1-320-180_hq.gif

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like Bakugo ultimately, so I don't mind this. He's a good character for the most part.

Dude seriously needs to take an actual L at some point though to humble him. I don't think he's ever lost an actual fight. No, Deku getting knocked out while Uraraka securing the bomb during their exercise doesn't count. I mean a FIGHT.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
My boy Bakugou getting #1 like he deserves. He and Endeavor are IMHO the best written characters in the series.

Out of these two polls I prefer the English one because Kirishima is #2 and that fact that Hawks & Mirio got some love.

crimsonlink

Oct 29, 2017
Well not a shock with the author just gives him favorable treatment in the story. He gets good moments and his failures are just to improve his own bad image so people just continue to feel sympathy for him and increase the amount of fans he has already.

I don't think he is awful or the worst character but I certainly don't think he should be taking first place so much and with so many votes.

People wish they can be loud and abrasive like Bakugou so I can see the appeal of the character. The author downplays his faults more nowadays and he has been good action moments where he hasn't lost or won in a really convincing way.

See how he was exempt from the beatdown Mirio gave to class 1 a because he got an extra day compared to Deku or how his team dominated his team fight vs class B because the author decided to write it that way.

Roliq

ā–² Legend ā–²
Sep 23, 2018
I don't know what people see in Uraraka, she such a nothing character outside of her crush, like a worse Hinata

OP
OP
Busaiku

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Well not a shock with the author just gives him favorable treatment in the story. He gets good moments and his failures are just to improve his own bad image so people just continue to feel sympathy for him and increase the amount of fans he has already.

I don't think he is awful or the worst character but I certainly don't think he should be taking first place so much and with so many votes.

People wish they can be loud and abrasive like Bakugou so I can see the appeal of the character. The author downplays his faults more nowadays and he has been good action moments where he hasn't lost or won in a really convincing way.

See how he was exempt from the beatdown Mirio gave to class 1 a because he got an extra day compared to Deku or how his team dominated his team fight vs class B because the author decided to write it that way.
He's not even in the show right now.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
It's the most consistently well written storyline/subplot in the series tho

Endevour went from an unrepentant abusive, monstrous, implied rapist who tortured and beat his family ā€“ including one son to apparent death* to "well, I guess I want to be a good dad" in, like, a 4 month span in-series. I do agree the actual character interactions are well written, but it feels entirely too rushed and unearned for me to give a shit, especially since Shoto is fairly boring and lifeless outside of it.

*Yes, Touya is still alive, but they think he's dead, and they all know Endeavour's abuse was the root cause.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Bakugo is HATED, and yet, he's still #1. It's because he's a great character. Not entirely likable, but a great character all the same. Dude is a kid who has to learn to be humble. That's interesting and gives him a lot to work with. I expect him to have a very similar arc to Vegeta

adafba55aee4d15fd27702cbf62b5f36c007b09br1-320-180_hq.gif
The way the anime exaggerated that jump is still funny but it does look cool.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
All Might isn't even in Japan's top ten?

Absolute disaster.
I find it impressive he held on as long as he did, considering manga-wise, All Might's last big arc was a long time ago.
He and Endeavor are IMHO the best written characters in the series.
No lies...
I guess the OP didn't specify that the poll is from the manga as of the latest chapter?

Also yeah the anime is behind but don't worry, you'll see more Bakugou soon enough.
I think the point is that if Bakugo was getting favorable treatment, he wouldn't have been sidelined from what is by far the longest arc in the series, which is being adapted now, when he was already a clear favorite by the time of its manga run.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Endevour went from an unrepentant abusive, monstrous, implied rapist who tortured and beat his family ā€“ including one son to apparent death* to "well, I guess I want to be a good dad" in, like, a 4 month span in-series. I do agree the actual character interactions are well written, but it feels entirely too rushed and unearned for me to give a shit, especially since Shoto is fairly boring and lifeless outside of it.

*Yes, Touya is still alive, but they think he's dead, and they all know Endeavour's abuse was the root cause.

Your description of Endeavor is accurate, and yet none of it really changes what I said though lol

For whatever reason, this is frankly the only storyline Horikoshi has done that I have yet to found disappointing in one way or another, despite its high potential to be :3

OP
OP
Busaiku

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I guess the OP didn't specify that the poll is from the manga as of the latest chapter?

Also yeah the anime is behind but don't worry, you'll see more Bakugou soon enough.
I'm well aware, but the poll is obviously influenced by the show.
And regardless, my point was he wasn't even in the longest arc in the series' history.
...and he still won that year.

Oct 31, 2017
The homie Kirishima at #2 & #4! Red Riot is the shit. Saving Bakugo is a top moment in the series.

Kacchan's a jerk but a damn good character & perfect foil. Izuku is still underrated.

It's really just an amazing cast overall

How is All Might & Mirio so low?

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
I fell off of My Hero because Bakugou and Todoroki just kinda took over the series. Looking at the polls it's easy to see why that happened, but I sure didn't care for it.