• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jul 4, 2018
From Deadline:

"Two K-pop stars were sentenced to prison today for raping drunken women at parties, with one sharing videos of his assaults online.

The Seoul Central District Court sentenced singer-songwriter Jung Joon-young, who recorded and shared the videos, to six years in prison. Choi Jong-hoon, a former boy band member, was sentenced to five years.
"

Another important quote in the article from the judge:

"The sentencing verdict for Jung Joon-young and Choi Jong-hoon said they treated women as "mere tools of sexual pleasure," according to the sentencing judge.

"The accused perpetrated sexual crimes against multiple women, degrading women and treating them as mere tools of sexual pleasure," Judge Kang Seong-soo said in his verdict. "It's hard to fathom the pain the victims must have suffered."

They can apparently appeal in one week but hopefully the decision holds out and this is a good step forward for woman's rights and persecuting those in the wrong in South Korea.

Close thread of old news.

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
Nope! Not old news. We've been waiting for this sentencing for a while. There's one other person involved that goes by the name is Seungiri(?) and we're still waiting for his sentencing. 5 years really isn't anything for drugging and raping women

also just to Clarify, they were not kpop stars. They were under rock genre.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good that they are going to jail but the sentences seem pretty mild for such serious crimes.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Nope! Not old news. We've been waiting for this sentencing for a while. There's one other person involved that goes by the name is Seungiri(?) and we're still waiting for his sentencing. 5 years really isn't anything for drugging and raping women

Yeah I saw that through some of the comments but I also saw a lot of people stanning these fucks for literally no reason?

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
this is a much bigger scnandal than just these two. the western news press seems to be ignorant of this.
this is the entire scandal
www.billboard.com

Burning Sun Scandal: A Timeline of Allegations, Arrests and Involvement of Several K-Pop Stars [Updated]

Lee Seung-hyun, known widely as Seungri, was the youngest member of one of K-pop’s most influential boy bands, BIGBANG. As a businessman, he took on leadership roles in various enterprises ranging from sublabel YGX to a ramen shop to a club called Burning Sun..

OP
OP
Jul 4, 2018

Just copied the title from Deadline, didn't know of them myself am happy for a mod to change the title to better reflect.

As far as sentencing at least it's a start, although I agree they should've gotten a heftier sentence, and yeah Seungri will be the big name and seems as though he was the leader so I expect he should be getting a heavier sentence, although he is also a celebrity so maybe they will do some hand waving.

EscapingJail

Oct 26, 2017
In terms of sentencing isn't Korea basically the type of country where if you have anything like this on your record you're pretty much out of luck even getting a simple job again in the future?

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
this is a much bigger scnandal than just these two. the western news press seems to be ignorant of this.
www.billboard.com

Burning Sun Scandal: A Timeline of Allegations, Arrests and Involvement of Several K-Pop Stars [Updated]

Lee Seung-hyun, known widely as Seungri, was the youngest member of one of K-pop’s most influential boy bands, BIGBANG. As a businessman, he took on leadership roles in various enterprises ranging from sublabel YGX to a ramen shop to a club called Burning Sun..
Holy shit, that was amazing investigating. Everyone should read this, it's wild.

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
Yeah I saw that through some of the comments but I also saw a lot of people stanning these fucks for literally no reason?

man i have no qualms with kpop fans but a select minority of them can be fucking rabid online, especially when one of their "biases" is painted in a negative light.

obviously that's not limited to kpop fans but i find that they can be the most vocal for some reason.

OsakaDon

Oct 29, 2017
Osaka, Japan
User Banned (5 Days): Inflammatory Joke
They will get the same "loving" treatment when they get to prison. They can see what its like. No sympathy.

SneerfulOwl

Nov 4, 2017
In terms of sentencing isn't Korea basically the type of country where if you have anything like this on your record you're pretty much out of luck even getting a simple job again in the future?
If you mean by them having no future in the industry, then yes. Even if they do (which is 99% highly unlikely), the korean netizens will make sure their life is miserable to the point where they wish they would be living as a hermit.

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
Just copied the title from Deadline, didn't know of them myself am happy for a mod to change the title to better reflect.

As far as sentencing at least it's a start, although I agree they should've gotten a heftier sentence, and yeah Seungri will be the big name and seems as though he was the leader so I expect he should be getting a heavier sentence, although he is also a celebrity so maybe they will do some hand waving.

welp, update. They released court documents and now Seungri is apparently "innocent" because he was only involved in one group chat and wasn't the "leader". Twitter is going nuts rn with the whole #ApologizetoSeungri right now

Jan 10, 2018
www.billboard.com

Remember reading about it, just remembering it makes my skin crawl. Utter scum devoid of humanity.
welp, update. They released court documents and now Seungri is apparently "innocent" because he was only involved in one group chat and wasn't the "leader". Twitter is going nuts rn with the whole #ApologizetoSeungri right now

For fucks sake. Victims can't even hope for a little bit of justice when the criminals create paper trail.

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
Remember reading about it, just remembering it makes my skin crawl. Utter scum devoid of humanity.

For fucks sake. Victims can't even hope for a little bit of justice when the criminals create paper trail.

not to mention they're coming at the journalist who made the report in the first place. But I mean kpop stan twt is nuts. One person says something, spreads like wildfire and it *must* be true. They don't do research themselves. I'm not sure if Seungri ever actually voluntarily gave up the info himself about the video that was sent to him but even then if he didn't, he's an asset to the crime and deserves some type of sentencing, not be a free man

OP
OP
Jul 4, 2018

Haven't logged into Era in a while but this is a disheartening update. An even more disheartening response from people online, hopefully there are some on the other side as well supporting the true victims and denouncing this decision.