• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Jyp seems to be invested in getting them to speak english. They did an 1 hour show spoken entirely in english. The money that Blackpink is making Internationially is too tempting

That's nothing new. If anything, Blackpink (and YGE) has been following the footsteps of JYP always being so invested in that international market for over a decade, to the point he almost lost one of its most influencial and major girl group that was called "The Nation Girl Group" until they wasted too much time away from Korea, so much so SNSD (Girls' Generation), their main competitors at the time, ended up getting the Nation GG title instead of them.

So to see JYP pushing in that direction again just feels absolutely in line with everything he and his company have been pushing since 2009.

Last edited:

broadwayrock

Oct 27, 2017
That's nothing new. If anything, Blackpink (and YGE) has been following the footsteps of JYP always being so invested in that international market for over a decade, to the point he almost lost one of its most influencial and major girl group that was called "The Nation Girl Group" until they wasted too much time away from Korea, so much so SNSD (Girls' Generation), their main competitors at the time, ended up getting the Nation GG title instead of them.

So to see JYP pushing in that direction again just feels absolutely in line with everything he and his company have been pushing since 2009.

I remember Wonder Girls attempt, but back then there wasn't a proven market for a K-pop girl group.

If your compare fellow JYP group Twice there seems to be a difference in approach. During that 1 hour show they repeatedly stressed how much effort they put into learning english for their international fans (yeji studying so hard her nose bleed). It came across as a sales pitch for a world tour.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I remember Wonder Girls attempt, but back then there wasn't a proven market for a K-pop girl group.

If your compare fellow JYP group Twice there seems to be a difference in approach. During that 1 hour show they repeatedly stressed how much effort they put into learning english for their international fans (yeji studying so hard her nose bleed). It came across as a sales pitch for a world tour.

Oh, I think there definitely was, you underestimate how Kpop was already pretty popular internationally. It's just that major media outlets weren't taking it seriously, it's just that social media wasn't as powerful back then as it is now, thus allowing fans to have incredible amounts of power now compared to back then. Thus they weren't given as much opportunities still.

Wonder Girls toured with the Jonas Brothers, did a featuring with IKON, and another one with School Gyrls, appeared on American TV & radio shows, they even had an american reality show where they all spoke in English (they learned it for the occasion). They did the work, and many were introduced to Kpop thanks to them, no doubt.

They were also probably the reason why 2NE1 & SNSD started to release English versions of their songs, and also participate in American TV shows as well. Then Gangnam Style happen, and then Kpop started growing even more, and then BTS happened. Every one of them brought something to the dream of conquering the American/International market long before Blackpink existed. Blackpink would be nowhere in their International success without every single one of those groups/companies who tried their best to push for this to happen before them.

So yeah, I don't think it's remotely fair to believe JYP is pushing ITZY to speak English and release English songs just because Blackpink is thriving internationally :P

A lil throwback for good measure:

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

I don't know about Miss A but Wondergirls, 2pm, Got7, Day6, Stray Kids and Itzy all have at least one fluent, if not native, English speaker in the group. And while there does seem to be more willingness from western media to do subtitled interviews and features in the last few years it does seem that for Twice not having any fluent speakers does somewhat limit them in that regard. It's only been recently that there seems to be a bigger push for Twice. It wouldn't surprise me that they would want to get ahead of that with Itzy, especially with Lia already being fluent and judging from their english interviews even from debut Chaeryoung, Ryujin and Yeji all seem to have some grasp of it.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I don't know about Miss A but Wondergirls, 2pm, Got7, Day6, Stray Kids and Itzy all have at least one fluent, if not native, English speaker in the group. And while there does seem to be more willingness from western media to do subtitled interviews and features in the last few years it does seem that for Twice not having any fluent speakers does somewhat limit them in that regard. It's only been recently that there seems to be a bigger push for Twice. It wouldn't surprise me that they would want to get ahead of that with Itzy, especially with Lia already being fluent and judging from their english interviews even from debut Chaeryoung, Ryujin and Yeji all seem to have some grasp of it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure none of the Wonder Girls were native English speakers. I know Yubin briefly attended high school in the US, so her level was stronger than others, but she never stroke me as being fully fluent. I honestly barely hear her speak English anywhere so I always forget she does know the language pretty well though.

As for Twice, I think it's because after failing to conquer the International market with Wonder Girls, and subsequently having the JYP company in a pretty tough spot financially because of that, they decided to focus on what they knew worked (because a ton of other Kpop groups before made banks in those markets): the Japanese market, and the Chinese one. So yeah, I'm not surprised at the lack of fluent English-speaking members in Twice (although they could have, if they had had the supreme taste of adding Somi to the lineup but that's another debate), it clearly wasn't their aim at the time anymore, they couldn't afford to lose money with Twice, like they did with Wonder Girls' international activities, they had to bet with what was going to work for sure.

But Twice girlies did receive English lessons though, and released songs in English since then, so the desire for more than just the Asian market has always been there, and will always be for JYP groups.

EDIT: Also, now that I remember it, I would put Mina in the same spot as Yubin. She's Japanese, but she was born in America, and would be the most fluent in Twice.

Last edited:

broadwayrock

Oct 27, 2017
So yeah, i don't think it's fair to believe JYP is pushing ITZY to speak English is because Blackpink is thriving internationally :P

It could be the time freed up due to covid, but Itzy went from 1 member being fluent in english to all members being able to hold a conversation in english and releasing an an English EP in 10 months.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
One good thing that came out of Wonder Girls' attempt to venture into the International/American market, is this song:

Yeeun/HA:TFELT wrote and composed this song because some American fuckboy broke her heart. The audacity of breaking this queen's heart!

Also, I can't be mad at whatever happened in America, they did make one of the best Kpop albums of the decade (if not the best) with Reboot 3 years after. I'll always be a tiny Wonderful at heart, they always delivered.

Last edited:

·feist·

Oct 26, 2017
Wonder Girls 'Wonder Wonder' makes two of the greatest KPop albums of the last decade, alongside 'Reboot.' That they're entirely different albums, yet both really good throughout speaks to the talent involved.

Also, IIRC Twice Nayeon speaks a lot more English than she lets on.

Unrelated but, where is Bvndit?

World needs more Bvndit.

Apart from a few random photos, Everglow have been an endangered species the past few months. Difficult to say, but this didn't seem completely due to the COVID-infected members situation.

So yeah, I don't think it's remotely fair to believe JYP is pushing ITZY to speak English and release English songs just because Blackpink is thriving internationally :P
All the Aespa members speak at least a bit of English. Seems a concerted effort to make up for missed opportunities with Red Velvet (especially considering Wendy's fluency), and the complete fumble of how Exo had been handled in that regard.

SM had refused to sub videos years after much smaller labels and agencies had been cultivating their various international fanbases. Obviously, RM's ease with English helped open some doors for BTS, but there's little excuse for Exo to not have had a bigger push. The China efforts kinda floundered (though it further laid the groundwork for NCT/WayV and other SM acts), and all that focus on Korea and Japan were successful, but BTS has done well in both countries while still having a much larger following outside the region.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Also, IIRC Twice Nayeon speaks a lot more English than she lets on.

She does. I think it's a scam to try and make Mina do all the work when they have to speak English lol.

An international Once told a story about how he met Nayeon and had worked on trying to hold basic conversation in Korean for the fanmeet, only for her to lean up and whisper something to the tune of, "It's okay, I speak English so you can use that if it's easier for you". They then just spoke to each other in English for the rest of the meet.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Yeah, I do believe that Nayeon and Jihyo speak and understand a lot more English than they led on. Even Chaeyoung I wouldn't be surprised to know if she was somewhat more fluent than shown.

LJKO

Nov 16, 2017
www.soompi.com

Watch: Chungha Pedals On With Confidence In Dynamic “Bicycle” Comeback MV

Updated February 15 KST: Chungha has released her long-awaited full album Querencia! The album contains a total of 21 tracks including the pre-release songs Stay Tonight, PLAY, and X. The title track Bicycle was composed by Daniel Kim, Jeremy G (Future Sound), and Dawn Elektra, with the...

Kpop 2021 Begins next week. Stack week: Queen IU and Queen HyunA then King Yuno duet with Queen SeulgiBear!!!!!

I smell it, 2NE1 reunion in sight. Blackjack be excited!!!!!

·feist·

Oct 26, 2017
BOBBY - '야 우냐 (U MAD)' M/V

Seulgi x BewhY X VW Korea - [The new T-Roc] Coming soon by 슬기

BewhY:
www.youtube.com

[The new T-Roc] Coming soon by 비와이

Coming soonThe new T-Roc.2021.01.29#폭스바겐 #Volkswagen #TRoc #비와이 #BewhY

[ENG SUB - FULL EP.] 우리의 만남.. 살짝 아리송 하지만 너 나랑 놀래? ✨FactiNStar turns to a playground ✨ 시그니처( cignature)&블링블링 (Bling Bling)

[ENG SUB] Interview with (G)I-DLE lighting fire and blooming flower|Never Stop Being A Fan EP.09

She does. I think it's a scam to try and make Mina do all the work when they have to speak English lol.

An international Once told a story about how he met Nayeon and had worked on trying to hold basic conversation in Korean for the fanmeet, only for her to lean up and whisper something to the tune of, "It's okay, I speak English so you can use that if it's easier for you". They then just spoke to each other in English for the rest of the meet.
Def sounds like Nayeon.

Oct 27, 2017

Yea like during one of the twice lights shows nayeon was rocking the talking section in English like it was nothing. Not saying she's completely fluent but I would say she could easily handle a conversation

·feist·

Oct 26, 2017
Episode 17 of Learn Way with G-Idle Yuqi was unexpected. Translated version will be uploaded soon.

RE: Rosé

www.hellokpop.com

BLACKPINK's Rosé To Reveal Her Solo Track During The Group's Online Concert "THE SHOW"

BLACKPINK's sweet vocalist Rosé will unveil her solo track for the first time during the group's upcoming live-streamed concert titled, "THE SHOW"!

sns.newsen.com

블랙핑크 로제 솔로곡, 31일 콘서트 ‘THE SHOW’서 깜짝 공개

블랙핑크의 첫 라이브스트림 콘서트 'THE SHOW'에서 로제의 솔로곡이 깜짝 공개될 예정이다. YG 측은 1월 25일 "로제의 솔로 앨범 타이틀곡 뮤직비디오 촬영은 이달 중순 모...

[ENG SUB] Isaac Hong, APRIL, Daybreak, Kim Jae-hwan | Trip To K-Pop Day 2 | Full Live Performance

[MV] Golden Child(골든차일드) _ Burn It(안아줄게)

Eunbi & Minju [ENG] #아이즈원 (IZ*ONE) #은비, #민주 가 함께 폭풍 눈물 흘리며 본 OOO은? | 싱터뷰

Tokopedia x Blackpink : Pretty Savage di #TokopediaWIB TV Show 25 Januari 2021

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
It's a BP song with nothing but bananies and avocadies 'vocals' which is always the worst part of any BP song... so exactly as expected

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Man, I really have no particular feelings one way or the other about Rose's voice for some reason

·feist·

Oct 26, 2017
Cix are underrated.

CIX (씨아이엑스) - Cinema M/V Teaser 1

www.youtube.com

CIX - 'HELLO' Chapter Ø. Hello, Strange Dream CONCEPT VIDEO 1 : BX

CIX - 'HELLO' Chapter Ø. Hello, Strange Dream CONCEPT VIDEO 1 : BXCIX Official TWITTER ▶https://twitter.com/CIX_officialCIX MEMBERS TWITTER ▶https://twitter....

www.youtube.com

CIX - 'HELLO' Chapter Ø. Hello, Strange Dream CONCEPT VIDEO 2 : SEUNGHUN

CIX - 'HELLO' Chapter Ø. Hello, Strange Dream CONCEPT VIDEO 2 : SEUNGHUNCIX Official TWITTER ▶https://twitter.com/CIX_officialCIX MEMBERS TWITTER ▶https://tw...