• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Favi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Black Mamba is kinda meh. I liked how colorful the MV is though, and the digital idol aspect was almost an afterthought, which is great.

just a small detail in the MV that's probably more of a cultural thing, but white laces on boots is a skinhead thing in most parts of the western world, specifically for some time it was associated with nazi skins.

I'm sure the korean stylist probably chose it because it looks cool, but as kpop becomes more global those signs and symbols could lead to some misunderstandings.
Man, nazis sure have a lot more symbols than I expected.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Black Mamba felt like it didn't really go anywhere. Even though I'm not a fan of the AI stuff I was still going in to it trying to like the song.

Same, I was at least trying to enjoy some new girl group music from SM, but so far it's been a rather disappointing debut overall. It feels like a mix of KDA, Blackpink & Itzy, and I'm trying to find the unique edge they might have, concept-wise, music-wise, and I'm not finding it thus far. Hopefully their 1st comeback will be much better, here's to hoping!

Jan 13, 2020
At least the start of the song sounds cool, with the deep bass line front and center, kinda like a snake making its way through the song. But then the chorus is kinda eh ok.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
The colour is so good. It feels like it is good to watch on 4k and hdr.

Btw are they teasing a new member at the end?

OP
OP
NameUser

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Guess I'm going to die on another hill. I love "Black Mamba". The beat is pretty nasty if you listen with a good pair of headphones, and it's pretty catchy. Plus I like the video.

Hmm, I'm actually pretty shocked right now. My hype was in the negatives for this debut and now here I am, debating if I should give them the best debut instead of StayC 😖

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Guess I'm going to die on another hill. I love "Black Mamba". The beat is pretty nasty if you listen with a good pair of headphones, and it's pretty catchy. Plus I like the video.

Hmm, I'm actually pretty shocked right now. My hype was in the negatives for this debut and now here I am, debating if I should give them the best debut instead of StayC 😖

How dare you. StayC girls, it's going down.

cubistic

Oct 27, 2017
I actually think the song's tempo is too slow for a "hype song". Try turning the playback speed to 1.25 in youtube and you'll get an idea of how much more energy it would've had.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched Jihan and Olivia Hye's first date video and I gotta say, Jihan is singlehandedly making me want to stan Weeekly.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finally gave Black Mamba a listen, and I liked it. Though there's been way stronger debuts in recent years.

LJKO

Nov 16, 2017
Holyy shitt. I didnt see that. It was too zoomed out i couldnt see her clearly. So is this going to be the new gimmick? Like comeback teaser at the end of mv?
Some people are joking about her being the 5th member of Aespa lol.

Anyways Black Mamba to BoA, I see what you did there at the end SM ^_^

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France

For P101, I doubt that Suhyun & Hyelin would have reached the top11, they never got that popular to begin with, so it doesn't change the final result much in my opinion, even though it shouldn't have happened to begin with.
For P48, it's obvious considering how popular they got, that Kaeun & Chowon got robbed. They had a really solid and fair chance to make it to the top11, so it's pretty damning in that particular case.

For the 2 other seasons, I don't know as much, I didn't follow them.

VIVI STANS ARE THRIVING TODAY, BLESS!

Last edited:

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
So I just read that J from STAYC is only 15. Her voice is as deep as Dami's from Dreamcatcher. How is that possible???

I don't know how that's surprising? Women can have deep voices at that age, even before that age.
Kpop usually doesn't favor deep voices in girl groups in general, so it's rare to see them debut to begin with (which is why it looks like there's so few of them, it's mostly survivor-ship bias at play here), but deep voices aren't that incredibly rare for women, even teenagers.

Jan 13, 2020
Ah I didn't know the STAYC producers are basically the guys responsible for some of the biggest KPOP bops like TT, Fancy, all the recent APINK comebacks... actually once you know it you can hear the similarities.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how that's surprising? Women can have deep voices at that age, even before that age.
Kpop usually doesn't favor deep voices in girl groups in general, so it's rare to see them debut to begin with (which is why it looks like there's so few of them, it's mostly survivor-ship bias at play here), but deep voices aren't that incredibly rare for women, even teenagers.
Yeah maybe it just sticks out so much cause I'm not used to hearing it. 😆

halvvapoori

Oct 25, 2017
Amsterdam
I love the Star MV, it's so simple yet so pretty and I like that it really focuses on the members themselves.

Also this was the best release of yesterday:

As for gg debuts this year, I don't think new groups will debut until the new year, so I can say that for me, STAYC had the best debut followed closely by Weeekly

Jul 24, 2020

Ah yes Black Eyed Pilseung.

I was wondering where they were considering Twice's recent releases.

Didn't love the STAYC debut but it's solid. Looking forward to more.

---

On another note.... I've noticed LOONA's monthly listeners seem to be rising considerably on Spotify. Pretty sure they peaked at about 1.1 million with So What or # era (and averaged under a million before that)

Now with 12:00 they're almost at 1.8 mill O_o

Last edited:

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
It's just the english version of "Voice".
The interesting and nice thing though is they didn't just try and directly translate things but the songs are a bit different in what they're about. So it doesn't really end up awkward in one language that way.
On another note.... I've noticed LOONA's monthly listeners seem to be rising considerably on Spotify. Pretty sure they peaked at about 1.1 million with So What or # era (and averaged under a million before that)

Now with 12:00 they're almost at 1.8 mill O_o
They in general have continued to have good growth. Their album sales are up a fair amount this comeback as well.