• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
Talking about selling 'avatar' versions of idols for fans to own and live with in their own home. LSM heard the stalker assholes who camp outside idols' homes were having a harder time harassing them with social distancing rules in effect and was like i got u. This is beyond creepy.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
When AR becomes like the biggest thing out there, I'd expect more virtual idols really. Scary as fuck though.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Virtual idols aren't a problem

Virtual idols made in the likeness of real people owned by conglomerates that are marketing selling said virtual(And real conterpart) idols to fans

That's a big problem.

RedEther

Jan 7, 2018

rNuXcNm.gif

Not like this SM

No No Eul

Oct 26, 2017
On the one hand, this feels like a logical next step for SM, what with the popularity of K/DA, the likes of 22/7 in Japan, the rise of VTubers and the way SM has previously dabbled in harnessing new technology, like those holographic concerts from a while back. On the other hand, this still feels like quite a bold / potentially risky direction to take, particularly for a new group from one of the leading agencies. It'll be interesting to see how far they take the virtual side of things, whether it'll be a bit of a token gesture or whether they go all in.

As an aside, SM may be very forward-thinking in a lot of ways but I don't know how they're still not providing English subtitles in 2020.

Edit: I take that back. They are:

OP
OP
NameUser

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I can imagine them selling skins/outfits for these virtual idols. Surprised it hasn't happened already honestly. Gonna make SM a lot of money. It's sickening and exploitive.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that sounds like they want a piece of K/DA's pie there. Not here for it, should have been a normal group especially if they're about to basement RV for it who doesn't really deserve it other than Irene's fuck ups.

Favi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, they added a new member on K/DA? The video animations are a little weird, but the song and aesthetic are nice. Good stuff.

About aespa, I just hope they give up this trash virtual idol concept early (like most gimmick kpop groups do).

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
About aespa, I just hope they give up this trash virtual idol concept early (like most gimmick kpop groups do).

If the idea tanks, I imagine they can have a backup by having some total horseshit LOONA tier lore dump about downloading the virtual girls into actual bodies and then just reveal the actual trainees that provided their singing voices (as it will be highly likely these will be fully-trained girls that meet "SM standards") and keep on trucking.

Jul 24, 2020
Super LTTP: Light Up The Sky

Nice little positive doc I guess.

Much too shallow though.

No exploration on really anything aside from "these girls work hard" and "this is tough stuff" and "hey look... K-pop really is now a thing now peeps"

So much they could really have gone more in-depth with...or even just covered more in terms of timeline.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France

Same, at the end of the day, they'll do what sells, and if their virtual idol concept doesn't stick, they'll move on and rebrand Aespa in another way, chances are they already have a backup plan for this. Just like Red Velvet debuted with a Red & Velvet concept, and it didn't really stick in the long run, in my opinion. They ended up doing whatever worked and charted.

Insane. Soyeon is irreplaceable in K/DA. She made me listen to (G)I-DLE.

Been following Soyeon since Produce 101, to Unpretty Rapstar 3 to her solo debut to her debut with (G)I-DLE and that woman is a fucking beast in all the best ways possible. She's insanely talented and I'll forever stan. Cube absolutely won the lottery when she graced their company with her presence. Also gotta love how fluent she has become in English, her lyrics and pronunciation flow extremely well in More!

Hmm it's popstars > baddest > more for me. More doesn't really have a hook for me.

Same ranking here. More is nice, but it doesn't stay with me in the long run. Just like Twice's I Can't Stop Me which I like, but doesn't get stuck in my head either.

SynthBpm

Oct 30, 2017
Silver Spring
We already have the K/DA EP tracklist, and Soyeon is only on 2 of the 5 songs (the two we have already, Baddest and More). we knew this was coming, no riot music project has a true 1-1 collaborator-character lineup. i still expect all of the songs to be pretty good if not great, it's not like Soyeon has doing any of their writing or production like she does for (g)-idle (edit: as great as her work is, riot's music team is pretty good on their own and should be fine).

Last edited:

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
We already have the K/DA EP tracklist, and Soyeon is only on 2 of the 5 songs (the two we have already, Baddest and More). we knew this was coming, no riot music project has a true 1-1 collaborator-character lineup. i still expect all of the songs to be pretty good if not great, it's not like Soyeon has doing any of their writing or production like she does for (g)-idle (edit: as great as her work is, riot's music team is pretty good on their own and should be fine).

Well, at least there's the Twice track and the others should be pretty good as well.

Oct 25, 2017
A little disappointed in More. Don't like it nearly as much as Popstars or Baddest. MV is impressive as always but it just lacks something, idk. Also sad that the rest of the EP won't feature Soyeon and Miyeon, I think they fit their roles as Akali and Ahri so well.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I saw the rumors about Chanyeol today. SM checking their servers tonight trying to find the next Oh!GG single.

----------------------

I like the new K/DA MV. Not as good as The Baddest. TWICE put out a solid album like always.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
There are pictures, so it's probably a bit more than rumors

but man...

LSM is probably thinking "BUILD THOSE AI FASTER GOD DAMMIT!"

questionmark

Oct 25, 2017

Weather is great, happy that it got a mv. Hope to see more b-sides be given some love in the form of low-budget music videos. My favorite music video of the year so far is OMGs Dolphin.

Did not expect SM to be the one to venture into this field.

It had to be SM. Lee Soo Man is obsessed with "innovation".

I was so ready to call this terrible because all her solo stuff has been cringe but I'm just popped a plate of crow in the microwave. This is 🥵🔥
Not a fan. 5 Star on the other hand... CL is absolutely capable of releasing bangers, as seen with Rewind which was one of the best kpop songs released last year imo. Just gotta weed out the bad ones to get to the good ones.