• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
😳

I don't want to make fun of this cause they seem serious. And the song isn't awful or anything. But that MV is an experience indeed. Which makes it pretty damn remarkable.

Gotta say the song is quite a crescendo. Starts off kinda weak, then it definitely grows and grows. By the last chorus it's actually pretty good.

Experience does certainly seem to be the right word for the video.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to wrap my head around Elris' lack of popularity. Sohee alone should be enough to bring more attention to them because she's like the total package (has the talent and looks that should've landed her in a bigger company).

And "Jackpot" isn't bad. It's a fun and pretty harmless song. Should be at least 2 million views by now.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
they debuted in the post ioi group year.

None of their members are famous (Sohee is the closest being on KPS6, but that seasons rating were notably low)

And they're from a notably small and notably corrupt company in Hunus (formerly Stardom) they had an uphill battle to begin with.

questionmark

Oct 25, 2017
Many months too late, but Favorite are having their first comeback since one of the best songs last year.

BIDIZ2N.jpg

iBruvpL.jpg

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They really screencapped the player with the buttons underneath for the preview. Nice.
This is an intense Dreamcatcher song.

Having said that, I am so fought over Dreamcatcher, and this song shows why as well. They have very, very good production values. This j-rock/alt-metal sound they have going with all the drum 'n' bass infusion makes them one of the better sounding k-pop projects I've ever heard, in terms of musical variety and intensity they're probably the best (the actual clarity and quality of the production is probably better in superprojects like LOONA). At the same time, so many of their songs kinda fall apart with unremarkable choruses, like this one. When they nail the chorus too, their songs are really good: Scream, Tension, Breaking Out, PIRI, Sleep-walking and The curse of the Spider are really good in fact. It's just that among all the forgettable tunes, the Japanese versions up the ass, the instrumentals everywhere... they waste so much space on their releases with weak/recycled material.

Basically, when they're good they really are. Top 10 stuff easily. But they really, really need to work on having catchier and more memorable tunes. Other than the media presence, looks and whatnot, there's a reason a girl group like BLACKPINK is making waves: you hear their songs once or twice and bam, the chorus is stuck in your head for a long time. Dreamcatcher doesn't quite nail this often enough, too bad because they've got the voices and the music to be truly excellent.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed scream more, but this one is good too. Pretty heavy compared to their other stuff though.

OP
OP
llehuty

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
Other than the media presence, looks and whatnot, there's a reason a girl group like BLACKPINK is making waves: you hear their songs once or twice and bam, the chorus is stuck in your head for a long time.
This is so ridiculous. 95% of Blackpink's success is marketing and brand recognition. Thousands of groups make supercatchy tunes and get zero to none recognition.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017

Oh no, Itzy is going to release the absolute bop of 2020 with that grunge sound.

(Actually, sounds like that is one of the b-sides.)

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
This is so ridiculous. 95% of Blackpink's success is marketing and brand recognition. Thousands of groups make supercatchy tunes and get zero to none recognition.
Yeah, I try not to get into this anymore, but groups like Blackpink and TWICE aren't really any more talented, prettier, or make better music than groups from medium sized companies.

Especially BP, I'm happy for them, but their success was kinda handed to them. Got 2NE1's fans, got the YG boost, etc.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Unpopular opinion, but had YG kept 2NE1 alive, BLACKPICK wouldn't have been that popular.
Well of course not cause we all know some of those BP songs would've went to 2NE1 instead lol. And they would've been viewed as sister group instead of the main act. Plus, we know YGE couldn't manage two girl groups 😂

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Unpopular opinion, but had YG kept 2NE1 alive, BLACKPICK wouldn't have been that popular.
Ehhhhh

2ne1's popularity was slowing down even without the scandal in 2014

And more importantly BP's packaging (Not their music) was utterly divergent from 2NE1.

2NE1 was very targetted towards the "Not like most girls" market.

BP from day was all about the whole "Heathers" big brand, big popularity, big envy, big idolization

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Where were you when NCT 127 invented martial arts? Anticipate their full album by taking a sneak peak into their killer b-sides x

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Blackpink could release more songs tho, I don't want fucking dolls. I want a new album. Heck, even IZ*ONE has a full album.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
BP brings out strong opinions even for a popular group, because their "rise" wasn't like that of say Twice or BTS. Both of those groups had to pay more dues, do more shows, go slumming on nugu programs like Afterschool Club, etc.

So yeah, when someone is like, "BP is so popular cause they're just better," it'll trigger a few folks lol

But this "instant rise" will probably become the new normal for groups from popular companies. Even ITZY won like 9 days after debuting. Honestly, it seems like JYPE is making them their BP cause they seem less accessible than TWICE were when they debuted.

No hate though. I'm beyond all that. Love what you love 😎

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think TWICE is a really interesting group. They have many catchy title tracks, their b-sides are great and they are amazing performers.

Oct 27, 2017
BP brings out strong opinions even for a popular group, because their "rise" wasn't like that of say Twice or BTS. Both of those groups had to pay more dues, do more shows, go slumming on nugu programs like Afterschool Club, etc.

So yeah, when someone is like, "BP is so popular cause they're just better," it'll trigger a few folks lol

But this "instant rise" will probably become the new normal for groups from popular companies. Even ITZY won like 9 days after debuting. Honestly, it seems like JYPE is making them their BP cause they seem less accessible than TWICE were when they debuted.

No hate though. I'm beyond all that. Love what you love 😎

Appreciate the sentiment. I've been in this thread for a long time and check it everyday and I know how criticism starts to spiral out of control into personal critiques of members. It's gotten better thankfully as people are realizing how wrong it is to go after individual members of a group and call them lazy, implying someone is favored in an alarmingly gross way, etc. I'm just tired of it. I understand that it wasn't said here when I posted, but rather I posted as a way to deter the conversation from going down that road.

Edit: Also it fuckin sucks that BP just doesn't release new music very often. Usually groups take awhile to grow on me but from the jump I fuckin loved them. Their presence, style, music, singing, rapping, personalities all jumped out to me immediately. Usually, groups take awhile to have established personalities for members.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Appreciate the sentiment. I've been in this thread for a long time and check it everyday and I know how criticism starts to spiral out of control into personal critiques of members. It's gotten better thankfully as people are realizing how wrong it is to go after individual members of a group and call them lazy, implying someone is favored in an alarmingly gross way, etc. I'm just tired of it. I understand that it wasn't said here when I posted, but rather I posted as a way to deter the conversation from going down that road.

Edit: Also it fuckin sucks that BP just doesn't release new music very often. Usually groups take awhile to grow on me but from the jump I fuckin loved them. Their presence, style, music, singing, rapping, personalities all jumped out to me immediately. Usually, groups take awhile to have established personalities for members.

I want my Rosé solo before they disband, or else I'll riot.

Neol

Oct 25, 2017
Might just be me but I feel alot of people dismiss how strong Blackpink's debut tracks were. Like despite the hype and anticipation of YG's new GG, I can't think of many groups that came out the same calibur with Whistle and Boombayah representing the sounds and the group image so well.

Like I can understand how people feel negatively of BP's success and how undeserved it feels compared to other groups but you can't deny a large part of there success comes from the first 5 tracks that came out from the start which many feel are still the best songs of there discography.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I'd say all of the big groups right now have very strong, easily identifiable images to themselves.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say all of the big groups right now have very strong, easily identifiable images to themselves.

I wonder if there'll be a group that inherits Mamamoo's space, aesthetic and sound after next year. So far, I think it's safe to say that there'll be a few groups ready to take Red Velvet, Blackpink and Twice's gigs.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I wonder if there'll be a group that inherits Mamamoo's space, aesthetic and sound after next year. So far, I think it's safe to say that there'll be a few groups ready to take Red Velvet, Blackpink and Twice's gigs.
I don't think any of the current groups aping those groups are going to take their spot.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think any of the current groups aping those groups are going to take their spot.

I mean, doing a loose comparison:

Girls' Generation - Twice
2NE1 - Blackpink
f(x) - Red Velvet
4minute - (G)I-DLE

I don't know if there's already active groups ready to take the spots for any of the still active and bigger groups, but I think it's a safe bet that YG's next GG will grab Blackpink's audience, while the new SM GG might either inherit Red Velvet's audience or try to recapture Girls' Generation gig. It's still all speculation, of course.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, didn't want to cause K-WW3 here. Only meant to say that DREAMCATCHER need some catchier choruses to be relevant, because too many of their songs have a really powerful build-up just kinda thrown away with a weak chorus. When they nail the chorus they can get really, really good.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
(G)I-DLE's nothing like 4minute

Same with RV and f(x)

Both musically and aesthetically.

BP is very 2NE1 in music (with obvious reason) but they're nothing like them in presentation or marketing

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
My hope is that some company out there is waiting for BP's contracts to expire and assuming this experience hasn't killed the girls desire to make music, scooping the four of them up, re-debuting them and putting out some music for the thirsty Blinks.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I highly doubt any company is gonna be willing to shelf the kinda money that acquisition would cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.